Trackspeed Engineering Turbo Kit installed: first impressions. *Real update in post* - Page 28 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #541
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post


Well Andrew, that's one way to prevent the EWG from falling off the first time you take it on track!

Nice job.
TurboTim is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #542
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

Andrew, any chance you could show us what the downpipe looks like? On the bench is cool but in situ would be even better.

Specifically, I'm curious as to how much clearance there is around the brake and heater hoses, and the radius on the downpipe.

Also, those pics are glorious. I saw them before on my phone and thought they were renders, not pics of actual items. In SLA they look otherworldly.
EO2K is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #543
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 47
Total Cats: 0
Default C

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
Oops, that came off a lot more serious that I meant it too. Rarely am I actually serious online.
Its ok I'm a sensitive Miata owner who loves forced induction and being touched by men so I tend to get bullied in the forums
adub_mx5 is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #544
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub_mx5 View Post
Its ok I'm a sensitive Miata owner who loves forced induction and being touched by men so I tend to get bullied in the forums
See? You fit right in.
EO2K is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #545
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,370
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
Andrew, any chance you could show us what the downpipe looks like? On the bench is cool but in situ would be even better.

Specifically, I'm curious as to how much clearance there is around the brake and heater hoses, and the radius on the downpipe.
Nothing close enough to production, so any pics of the one DP that does exist would just confuse people. It will be 3" from the turbo back, with 3" CLR bends. I would have preferred 4.5" but it's just not doable with A/C and P/S in the engine bay too. If the stars align, it will be CNC compound mandrel bent. It will also play nice with both stock exhausts and full 3" units alike.

Quote:
Also, those pics are glorious. I saw them before on my phone and thought they were renders, not pics of actual items. In SLA they look otherworldly.
Thank you sir. I think it's way beyond what people have come to expect from cast-manifold setups.
Savington is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #546
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,780
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Thank you sir. I think it's way beyond what people have come to expect from cast-manifold setups.
I expect a 1.6 cast-manifold.
shuiend is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #547
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 75
Total Cats: -4
Default

Any consideration of an EGT sensor in the collector? I am perhaps one of the last people that still use an EGT gauge, so in either way. However I prefer to hang on to that relic...
M2Ken is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 06:33 PM   #548
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,370
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Ken View Post
Any consideration of an EGT sensor in the collector? I am perhaps one of the last people that still use an EGT gauge, so in either way. However I prefer to hang on to that relic...
Not an integrated one, no. It adds cost to every manifold for a feature that, in reality, few will actually use. The manifold will be thick enough to drill/tap for an EGT bung anywhere you like.
Savington is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #549
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 75
Total Cats: -4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Not an integrated one, no. It adds cost to every manifold for a feature that, in reality, few will actually use. The manifold will be thick enough to drill/tap for an EGT bung anywhere you like.
Thank you for the explanation. In reality, few will definitely use as these are relics of past tuning practices.
M2Ken is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #550
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 1,296
Total Cats: 22
Default

^ Don't feel like too much of a dinosaur, I'm adding one myself. More information is more better! But drilling/tapping one is pretty trivial as long as the manifold has the thickness not to crack which I'll trust Sav on that one.
Der_Idiot is offline  
Old 05-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #551
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 3,878
Total Cats: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Idiot View Post
^ Don't feel like too much of a dinosaur, I'm adding one myself. More information is more better! But drilling/tapping one is pretty trivial as long as the manifold has the thickness not to crack which I'll trust Sav on that one.
It'd be nice if there was a convenient flat part that was easy to drill, vs trying to do it on a surface that's curved in two dimensions, but...

--Ian
codrus is offline  
Old 05-21-2015, 12:30 AM   #552
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,454
Total Cats: 80
Default

I drilled my turbine housing for an EGT sensor.
JasonC SBB is offline  
Old 05-21-2015, 04:24 PM   #553
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Seven Valleys, PA
Posts: 639
Total Cats: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
Yes, I have an actual question. In the past we've seen blown stock blocks with just wastegate efr pressure. Thoughts on this? Was it had tuning? Do you expect to easily stay under stock rod limits with this kit or is it assumed it will be going on a built motor.
Not yet sure how this manifold will differ in performance compared to the one i am using, but i will agree that the EFR is quite difficult to keep within the stock rod limits. My 6258 destroyed my old tired stock 2000 block on the low pressure actuator can with 1mm of preload. I will admit that my engine had been thoroughly abused for the previous 65K miles with a ShanghiT28 at ~220whp. I am sure it was quite ready to blow without the extra headroom of the EFR and someone with a healthy stock block will likely see better results.

With that said, it looks like his turbo position is further forward than mine. I am sure this is allowing TSE to have a straighter downpipe configuration. I am curious to see if this will provide a more controllable boost level through the RPM range.

Props to Andrew for developing such a high quality piece of hardware at such an affordable cost for our cars. I am loving the motor he built for me and i am sure these turbo kits will perform spectacularly for us.

Last edited by swimming108; 05-25-2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: oops
swimming108 is offline  
Old 05-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #554
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 40
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming108 View Post
I will admit that my engine had been thoroughly abused for the previous 65K miles with a ShanghiT28 at ~22whp.
Glad I waited and didn't buy the Shanghai setup!
Jesse99James is offline  
Old 05-24-2015, 01:44 AM   #555
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Meridian, Mississippi
Posts: 637
Total Cats: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Now that we've all touched ***** and bonded over it, can the discussion get back on topic?
Huuuh? I thought touching ***** WAS the topic... am I in the wrong forum?

Keith
Twodoor is offline  
Old 05-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #556
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,684
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodoor View Post
Huuuh? I thought touching ***** WAS the topic... am I in the wrong forum?

Keith
This is the touching ***** section. I'm sure an actual vendor's section formal announcement thread will pop up once the **** touching concludes with a big release. This simply began as a speculation thread. There will be much tighter controls on BS in the formal thread, I am certain.

This thread started in April of 2012 with a speculation of a summer of 2012 kit release.

I'm going to advise Swimming to maybe let someone else tune his car moving forward.
sixshooter is online now  
Old 05-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #557
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 63
Total Cats: 0
Default

I subscribed to this thread back in 2013, I find it both sad and amusing that I still get notifications in my gmail about replies because I'm still really hoping there's going to be a post one day saying this kit is for sale, here's pictures of it, here's a video of it on the track, and here's X,Y,Z's impressions and here's the price and options.

le sigh
Joe Mauch is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #558
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,370
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mauch View Post
I subscribed to this thread back in 2013, I find it both sad and amusing that I still get notifications in my gmail about replies because I'm still really hoping there's going to be a post one day saying this kit is for sale, here's pictures of it, here's a video of it on the track, and here's X,Y,Z's impressions and here's the price and options.

le sigh
You do realize I posted pictures of the manifold three pages ago, right? And talked about pricing?

post 471, in which I talk lots about the progress, post pictures, and discuss pricing
Savington is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #559
Junior Member
 
gfeeley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Timonium, MD
Posts: 127
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
You do realize I posted pictures of the manifold three pages ago, right? And talked about pricing?

post 471, in which I talk lots about the progress, post pictures, and discuss pricing
and i just got lars mkturbo. i guess ill be in two first run group buys
gfeeley is offline  
Old 05-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #560
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,780
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfeeley View Post
and i just got lars mkturbo. i guess ill be in two first run group buys
On the plus side, my setup is less then just the turbo on the TSE setup. On the downside, the TSE setup should be better then mine in every other way. I see it as 2 completely different ends of the market. TSE if you want to track the car, MKTurbo if you are a starving artist.

I will most likely be jumping in on a TSE group buy for ***** and giggles. I need even more setups in my garage.
shuiend is offline  
 
 
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partial Turbo kit for a 1.6 and dual headlight kit. Andifer Miata parts for sale/trade 8 09-23-2015 06:43 PM
VE values too low? compuw22c MEGAsquirt 4 09-12-2015 08:42 PM
Anything To Gain from Using Piggyback on N/A car? 2000SE ECUs and Tuning 5 09-08-2015 12:30 PM
Help Rough Idle Backwoodsballer General Miata Chat 0 09-04-2015 07:39 AM


Tags
duke nukem forever turbo, for real, gt2554r fitment, scro, unobtainium, years to spool

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM.