Trackspeed Engineering Turbo Kit installed: first impressions. *Real update in post* - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #121
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Total Cats: 0
Default

Savington,

Can you let us know how this system spools up compared to the FM II? What about the area under the curve differences?

Erik
miatajunkie is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #122
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,357
Total Cats: 1,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatajunkie View Post
Savington,

Can you let us know how this system spools up compared to the FM II? What about the area under the curve differences?

Erik
Our expectations are significant low-end and high-end improvements with the EFR6258 vs. FM's 2560R. We will have some dyno comparison charts between the two turbos later this summer.
Savington is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #123
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Our expectations are significant low-end and high-end improvements with the EFR6258 vs. FM's 2560R. We will have some dyno comparison charts between the two turbos later this summer.
I haven't had time to read through the whole thread yet so sorry if this has already been answered but when would this kit be out? I'll probably end up picking one up when it comes out.
0o heaven 0o is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #124
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o heaven 0o View Post
I haven't had time to read through the whole thread yet so sorry if this has already been answered but when would this kit be out? I'll probably end up picking one up when it comes out.
I can not for sure say as I do not work for TSE, but I would expect several more months before we see them. With the EFR's on backorder and the problems they have had I would not expect Savington to be getting any soon.
shuiend is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #125
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,357
Total Cats: 1,322
Default

We'll announce a release date and take pre-orders when we're a bit closer to completion. Before the end of the year for sure, hopefully quite a bit before.
Savington is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #126
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
We'll announce a release date and take pre-orders when we're a bit closer to completion. Before the end of the year for sure, hopefully quite a bit before.
Sounds good. What's the guess as to the price for the complete setup?
0o heaven 0o is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #127
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,357
Total Cats: 1,322
Default

Pricing estimate in post 4 is still accurate today. https://www.miataturbo.net/prefabbed...34/#post872073

There's a fair amount of info in this thread, so if you're really interested, reading this thread from post 1 is a great way to get an idea of what we're planning to offer.
Savington is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 AM   #128
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,124
Total Cats: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatajunkie View Post
Savington,

Can you let us know how this system spools up compared to the FM II? What about the area under the curve differences?

Erik
The GT25 turbine has to be the worst of the Garrett offerings. I bet is was designed on a commodore 64. The turbo Sav is putting together is in another league altogether. I would expect substantial gains on both ends of the RPM band.
k24madness is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #129
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,085
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24madness View Post
The GT25 turbine has to be the worst of the Garrett offerings. I bet is was designed on a commodore 64. The turbo Sav is putting together is in another league altogether. I would expect substantial gains on both ends of the RPM band.
You make it sound like incremental gains in turbo efficiency are a night and day difference.
albumleaf is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #130
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,516
Total Cats: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albumleaf View Post
You make it sound like incremental gains in turbo efficiency are a night and day difference.
Transient response is where it's really at.
soviet is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:40 AM   #131
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,357
Total Cats: 1,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet View Post
Transient response is where it's really at.
Pretty much. The 6258 has wheels that are larger than a 2860RS, but it responds and drives like a 2554R and makes more torque down low than either of those turbos could even dream of.
Savington is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 AM   #132
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,124
Total Cats: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albumleaf View Post
You make it sound like incremental gains in turbo efficiency are a night and day difference.
They are when it comes to the GT25 frame. Gains are hard to come by when compared to a well designed turbo. The GT25 frame is not one of those.

Efficiency of the compressor wheel is not the issue. The turbine section is where that turbo falls far short. It's well documented.

Last edited by k24madness; 07-31-2012 at 08:21 AM.
k24madness is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #133
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Pricing estimate in post 4 is still accurate today. https://www.miataturbo.net/prefabbed...34/#post872073

There's a fair amount of info in this thread, so if you're really interested, reading this thread from post 1 is a great way to get an idea of what we're planning to offer.
Alright, will do. Thanks for the help!
0o heaven 0o is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #134
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,317
Total Cats: 1,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Pretty much. The 6258 has wheels that are larger than a 2860RS, but it responds and drives like a 2554R and makes more torque down low than either of those turbos could even dream of.
I honestly never really paid much attention to the Borg-Warner turbos, but this is really impressive:



Red is the EFR 6258, blue is a GT2871R, both in .64 A/R.

Source of data: BorgWarner EFR 6258 Turbo - Full-Race.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg borgwarner-efr-6258-turbo-content-15.jpg (52.6 KB, 805 views)
Joe Perez is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #135
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,516
Total Cats: 255
Default

torque curves of my car (red) vs Garrett 2560 /w BEGI IM (blue) vs shuiend's old setup (green)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torque_rape.jpg (90.4 KB, 795 views)
soviet is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #136
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet View Post
torque curves of my car (red) vs Garrett 2560 /w BEGI IM (blue) vs shuiend's old setup (green)
bauce
hustler is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #137
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,482
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet View Post
torque curves of my car (red) vs Garrett 2560 /w BEGI IM (blue) vs shuiend's old setup (green)
All at same boost of...?
TurboTim is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #138
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,516
Total Cats: 255
Default

I think they were running lower boost. I was at like 18-19psi up top and 15psi at 3500rpm.

Still, the point is that the curves do NOT intersect. I have more faster spool *AND* more power. My torque curve is like a hat for their torque curves.
soviet is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #139
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet View Post
I think they were running lower boost. I was at like 18-19psi up top and 15psi at 3500rpm.

Still, the point is that the curves do NOT intersect. I have more faster spool *AND* more power. My torque curve is like a hat for their torque curves.
My turbo has been on at least 3 different cars for members on mt.net and along with however many 240 people used it before I got it without any turbine wheels falling off.
shuiend is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #140
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,516
Total Cats: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
My turbo has been on at least 3 different cars for members on mt.net and along with however many 240 people used it before I got it without any turbine wheels falling off.
Clearly, it's because I'm *THAT GOOD* at breaking parts.
soviet is offline  
 
 
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partial Turbo kit for a 1.6 and dual headlight kit. Andifer Miata parts for sale/trade 8 09-23-2015 06:43 PM
VE values too low? compuw22c MEGAsquirt 4 09-12-2015 08:42 PM
Anything To Gain from Using Piggyback on N/A car? 2000SE ECUs and Tuning 5 09-08-2015 12:30 PM
Help Rough Idle Backwoodsballer General Miata Chat 0 09-04-2015 07:39 AM


Tags
duke nukem forever turbo, for real, gt2554r fitment, scro, unobtainium, years to spool

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 AM.