Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teves Mk60 ABS install

 
Old 10-26-2018, 11:40 AM
  #21  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (10)
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 5,562
Total Cats: 234
Default

I can confirm that the DSC version of the RX-8 ABS also requires the stock ECU to work as an ABS. I haven't seen any non-DSC RX-8s (but there definitely are non-DSC NCs, which still do require CAN).
__________________
Originally Posted by ninerwfo View Post
The “into to megasquirt thread” mentions that the MS3 basic has 5 inputs with built in pull up resistors - and I was just wondering why it would have so many, while the MS3Pro PnP has just 2 (with no pull ups?)
MS Labs: Plug and Play Megasquirt ECUs for ANY 90-05 Miata (NA, NB1, NB2 w/VVT, MSM), including basemaps to get you started ASAP. PM me or email or details.
For support on MS Labs ECUs: Please email, be sure to include the unit's serial number and include a datalog and your current map.
Reverant is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 11:46 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: KY
Posts: 833
Total Cats: 105
Default

I have no personal experience and am just relaying what I've read and been told, but I also know of a V8 swapped RX8 (on a private forum) that just got the non-DSC RX8 module working on his car with no CAN communication. He started with the DSC version that came in his car and couldn't get it to work. Switched to the 04 non-DSC unit and almost instantly reported that the problem was solved and ABS was functioning.
jpreston is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 12:22 PM
  #23  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (10)
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 5,562
Total Cats: 234
Default

Originally Posted by gooflophaze View Post
Fair enough, but trust me when I say that 212 is the ABS module status packet and I discovered it on my own.
0x212 is just one packet from the ABS, you need to actually send multiple other packets that mimic the stock ECU, some of them with continuous checksums.
__________________
Originally Posted by ninerwfo View Post
The “into to megasquirt thread” mentions that the MS3 basic has 5 inputs with built in pull up resistors - and I was just wondering why it would have so many, while the MS3Pro PnP has just 2 (with no pull ups?)
MS Labs: Plug and Play Megasquirt ECUs for ANY 90-05 Miata (NA, NB1, NB2 w/VVT, MSM), including basemaps to get you started ASAP. PM me or email or details.
For support on MS Labs ECUs: Please email, be sure to include the unit's serial number and include a datalog and your current map.
Reverant is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 03:28 PM
  #24  
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 24
Total Cats: 1
Default

I recently mentioned this to a few friends who work on oem abs systems and have used the teves systems from continental, my main question is
How are you going about changing the parameters for the teves system
Bs_nb1 is offline  
Reply
Leave a poscat -1 Leave a negcat
Old 02-08-2019, 09:29 AM
  #25  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 101
Total Cats: 6
Default

It’s coming soon ...

fmcokc is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:07 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 678
Total Cats: 3
Default

Which wheel speed sensors did you use? Compatible with the miata OEM abs rings and a direct bolt on or need some adapters?
j_man is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 PM
  #27  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 101
Total Cats: 6
Default

Originally Posted by j_man View Post
Which wheel speed sensors did you use? Compatible with the miata OEM abs rings and a direct bolt on or need some adapters?
E46 sensors front and rear
Miata rings and machined Non-ABS front spindles
Rear Miata ABS uprights and a modified ABS bracket
fmcokc is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:33 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 678
Total Cats: 3
Default

Interesting. Any pictures?
Did you just have the non-abs front spindles so you used those? Or they are necessary / ABS ones won't work?

Also, who's reprogramming your MK60 to the motorsports firmware?
From what I've been reading on the m3 forum, the regular E46 MK60 is programmed for the stock BMW hydraulic pressures, tire diameters, etc. and IIRC also goes in some kind of safety mode (lower thresholds) when CAN data from the ECU is missing. Some people there use rpi emulators to feed the MK60 with data emulating the E46 ECU and other CAN bus modules to make it somewhat happy for standalone installs.

All that is solved with the motorsports firmware (which also gets rid of the DSC stuff, you need the 813.3 or the 817.3 MK60 hardware for reflashes to work) but AFAIK only very few people have that and charge crazy amount of money to do a reflash (because they can since the software never leaked for public use). These same people have flashes prepped not just for BMW for other applications like 997 Porsches (who dump their Bosch units for MK60), etc.

Last edited by j_man; 02-11-2019 at 10:03 PM.
j_man is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 PM
  #29  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 101
Total Cats: 6
Default

We've got numerous parts cars laying around. The ABS front spindle will not work. It places the sensor basically in contact with the ring. The Non-ABS spindle have to be machined to work.

We have a few contacts on the programming side and we have the 813.3 with the standard program and 817.3 with the ZHP program for testing.

We are working on putting together a kit for the Miata. Probably going to be really track specific though. Don't know many who would want it on a street car.

I have driven this system in other racecars. Very good and very abrupt when it intervenes. It gets in and out of operation very quickly. It's certainly not your Grampa's ABS on his 98 El Dorado.
fmcokc is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:00 AM
  #30  
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,635
Total Cats: 621
Default

If you’re using a fault light like this harness: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/B...IaAjiaEALw_wcB
youll also need the motorsports reflash to get the light to turn off.
curly is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:12 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 678
Total Cats: 3
Default

Originally Posted by fmcokc View Post
We've got numerous parts cars laying around. The ABS front spindle will not work. It places the sensor basically in contact with the ring. The Non-ABS spindle have to be machined to work.
There are at least 2 or 3 OEM ring type NB front ABS setups - outboard ring (near the studs), inboard rings (near the spindle), IIRC Mazda also changed something with the ring diameter/sensor sometime in 2004 (most likely the ring diameter changed) ...
Which of the rings were you testing with and was the contact minor or?

Originally Posted by fmcokc View Post
We are working on putting together a kit for the Miata. Probably going to be really track specific though. Don't know many who would want it on a street car.
It is the race section of the forum so I guess everyone here is interested in a racing application

Originally Posted by fmcokc View Post
I have driven this system in other racecars. Very good and very abrupt when it intervenes. It gets in and out of operation very quickly. It's certainly not your Grampa's ABS on his 98 El Dorado.
The ones you drove - was that with the motorsports flash? Personal impression on how was it while hard trail braking in corners /abs engaged while cornering - better feel than the NB one channel rear?

Last edited by j_man; 02-12-2019 at 03:05 PM.
j_man is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:17 PM
  #32  
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 23
Total Cats: -1
Default

Originally Posted by fmcokc View Post
We've got numerous parts cars laying around. The ABS front spindle will not work. It places the sensor basically in contact with the ring. The Non-ABS spindle have to be machined to work.
I have run into that before (an ABS ring that was barely in contact with the sensor). At the time I didn't have much to lose so I just spun the hub/ring around and used a hand file on the ring to turn it down to a smaller OD. Worked totally fine.
Davidss is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:16 PM
  #33  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 101
Total Cats: 6
Default

Originally Posted by j_man View Post
There are at least 2 or 3 OEM ring type NB front ABS setups - outboard ring (near the studs), inboard rings (near the spindle), IIRC Mazda also changed something with the ring diameter/sensor sometime in 2004 (most likely the ring diameter changed) ...
Which of the rings were you testing with and was the contact minor or?

We are using the inboard rings from a couple of 2000 Miatas that had factory ABS.

It is the race section of the forum so I guess everyone here is interested in a racing application


The ones you drove - was that with the motorsports flash? Personal impression on how was it while hard trail braking in corners /abs engaged while cornering - better feel than the NB one channel rear?
No, they were the unflashable 818.3 units. I have never driven the Miata 3 channel ABS so I have no knowledge of how it feels. They were on C5 Corvettes, with which I have quite a bit of experience, and the standard Mk60 setup was way better than the stock C5 or 6 ABS. You could tell when it engaged and when it "got out" of intervention. One of them I drove was one of Louis Gigliotti's C5's with it in misty damp conditions on slicks. I couldn't go or turn but I could sure as hell stop. The other was a Vorshlag car on the street so limited in what I could do.
fmcokc is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 03:34 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 678
Total Cats: 3
Default

I just ordered an 813.3 off ebay (off an M3 with 40k miles on it) with the lateral g, pressure sensors and connectors included.
The goal is to install it in the rear right under the car (taking the spot of the OEM fuel filter)
Now, where is the flashing sowtware?

Last edited by j_man; 02-13-2019 at 05:30 PM.
j_man is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 04:21 PM
  #35  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 99
Total Cats: 6
Default

I have a spare complete MK60 out of an e46 m3 if anyone wants one. I can also provide a point of contact for a Bosch engineer that can re-flash the unit.

Last edited by ITOzann; 02-13-2019 at 04:32 PM.
ITOzann is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 05:31 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 678
Total Cats: 3
Default

Originally Posted by ITOzann View Post
I have a spare complete MK60 out of an e46 m3 if anyone wants one. I can also provide a point of contact for a Bosch engineer that can re-flash the unit.
You should specify whether it is a 813.3 or a 818.3 unit - because that's what's most important for those buying it for racing.
Bosch engineer reflashing Ate units - that's interesting. Is he willing to give away the software since it belongs to the competition?
j_man is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 08:02 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 764
Total Cats: 31
Default

We've installed a lot of these in a variety of cars, almost all of them reflashed with the motorsports software.
greddygalant is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 08:35 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 678
Total Cats: 3
Default

Originally Posted by greddygalant View Post
We've installed a lot of these in a variety of cars, almost all of them reflashed with the motorsports software.
Any insight on what specific parameters/numbers one needs to prepare for the person who'll be entering the data and generating the motorsports flash for the specific car?
j_man is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:18 PM
  #39  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 99
Total Cats: 6
Default

Originally Posted by j_man View Post
You should specify whether it is a 813.3 or a 818.3 unit - because that's what's most important for those buying it for racing.
Bosch engineer reflashing Ate units - that's interesting. Is he willing to give away the software since it belongs to the competition?
813.3 is the unit I got. You can't reflash the 818.3 unit. I sort of figured that information would be explicit, my bad.
ITOzann is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jko
ECUs and Tuning
5
02-19-2016 05:55 PM
rwyatt365
ECUs and Tuning
8
05-22-2015 11:19 AM
sjmarcy
Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain
7
08-05-2011 04:09 AM
Braineack
General Miata Chat
12
02-06-2007 04:04 PM
Atlanta93LE
DIY Turbo Discussion
16
12-24-2006 02:04 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Teves Mk60 ABS install


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.