Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

sonofthehill sets his sights on MK ULTRA

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 01:33 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 553

No
Old 01-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Elite Member

The spoils from my trip to meet Miataman00.
It was good to see you again George, thanks for the goodies!

Now I can get to ordering some things from Savington.

And this for folks wondering about it, I believe this is an original Mazda assembly. Looks like a nylon zip tie directing the flow to the sock.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Elite Member

These bits from TSE showed up today, thanks Andrew.

This is how I get the quick connect fittings off ez pz. I managed to do it at Miataman00's place with a couple pieces of a zip tie.

I need to figure out all my plumbing details, so this won't be instant. I might go race tomorrow morning, if I get up early enough, it will be free since we were rained out last time. Not really a fan of weekend events, maybe I should just work on plumbing the fuel.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:02 PM
Elite Member

Here's a mock up of my fuel pump assembly plumbing.

It is 3/8 PA12 hose, I had to warm it in hot water to stretch over the pump nipple. Yeah, hot stretch pump nipple baby! I am waiting on some small stainless clamps but I got it on the dw300. Feel free to tell me I am nuts.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:13 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 856

Is all that hose rated for immersion in gasoline?

--Ian
Old 01-27-2018, 01:22 AM
Elite Member

I want your input!
I think so, it is pure nylon, should be good for gasoline, ethanol, or methanol. I want to be able to run e85 and not worry about these things. PA12 is the factory NB semi flexible fuel line. Stainless clamps and I should be good, obviously there will be the biannual inspection opportunity. Or if I loose fuel pressure it should show up on my wideband. I can just use the green submersible rubber fuel hose but it seems to have it's issues.
Fair warning

Last edited by sonofthehill; 01-27-2018 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Dummy
Old 01-27-2018, 02:34 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 856

I don't fully understand why, but there is lots of hose out there that is rated to carry fuel, but not to be submerged in fuel. I don't know where nylon/PA12 falls in that area. When I did mine, I used Gates submersible fuel line for both parts (which looks like normal hose, it isn't green), because I didn't want to have to take it apart again.

--Ian
Old 01-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 494

Originally Posted by codrus
I don't fully understand why, but there is lots of hose out there that is rated to carry fuel, but not to be submerged in fuel. I don't know where nylon/PA12 falls in that area. When I did mine, I used Gates submersible fuel line for both parts (which looks like normal hose, it isn't green), because I didn't want to have to take it apart again.

--Ian
I used fuel injection hose from Gates (good stuff, but not rated to be submersed in fuel) and after 2 years, it was swelling and softening quite a bit in the tank. I swapped it out for the submersible stuff about a year ago. MY DW300 died recently, so I'll get to inspect it soon when I replace that pump. I too would be curious if his PA12 is going to be ok submerged in fuel. It looks awesome though! If it's ok submerged, then that looks great.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:15 PM
Elite Member

A bunch of us discussed it at the track today, no one seems to really know. The consensus after they learned there are only 6 screws, 6 bolts, 2 quick connects and an electrical connector. I am going to try it and inspect it from time to time with a major inspection in 2 years.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:56 PM
Elite Member

I am soaking a bunch of bits submerged in some homemade e85, about 1 part gas to 5 parts ethanol. Some PA12 line, a zip tie, some shrink wrap, a few different wires and the spiral wire loom that protected the original wires. So far so good.
I am waiting on a -6AN plug because I decided to run my FPR in a slightly different configuration. I will let the parts soak until I get the plug, I didn't want to do all this work and find out the next day my car wouldn't start because the PA12 melted right away.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Elite Member

Wiring done, I am using the factory bulkhead connection with 10 gauge from the battery to just inside the tank wire grommet. Yes, fused, relayed, ect...
Installed the dw300 with PA12 hose, all my soaking bits were unchanged.

I installed the FPR but I have not run the boost reference line yet.
Can I just run a charge pipe reference so it doesn't change my under 100kpa tune? Or should I run an intake manifold reference, and will that reduce pressure to my injectors under vacuum? I think it will, I will most likely upgrade injectors soon, so I don't want to waste a bunch of time tuning off boost right now if I don't need to. Thanks for any thoughts.

I was also driving a bunch this weekend and I am seriously considering the wisdom of adding the boost reference. Simply because the car is basically crazy enough already, obviously it will make sense when I am back at the drag strip.

Having a little trouble with my mobile picture upload, the images seem huge, so I left them out.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Tweaking Enginerd

Total Cats: 363

Tuning for true VE is win. No need to tune now, tune again later, simply tune now and adjust req fuel.

use Incorporate AFR and profit.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:24 AM
Elite Member

So, you are saying I should run the boost reference to my intake manifold for a vacuum/boost reference to shrink my future injectors to idle and cruise better. Then just tune the Flow Force injectors now for that.

I do incorporate AFR table, my car runs exceptionally well, I just wonder what variable fuel pressure is going to do.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:52 AM
Supporting Vendor

Total Cats: 388

If your fuel pressure will drop in vacuum, that's ideal for getting a great idle with bigger injectors.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Tweaking Enginerd

Total Cats: 363

Originally Posted by sonofthehill
So, you are saying I should run the boost reference to my intake manifold for a vacuum/boost reference to shrink my future injectors to idle and cruise better. Then just tune the Flow Force injectors now for that.

I do incorporate AFR table, my car runs exceptionally well, I just wonder what variable fuel pressure is going to do.
no, I am saying to run manifold reference so you have a constant differential P across the injector. I have not been following your thread... are you planning on doing something extreme that would motivate so.ething other than manifold reference?

injectors >1000cc ... big rail pressure... something other than 1:1 FPR rate

edit: lol, in re-reading the post I am a bit confused. We are talking about the reference pressure supplied to a 1:1 fuel pressure regulator correct?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Elite Member

Yes a 1:1 boost reference fuel pressure regulator.

Nothing too extreme, 60psi base and a boost reference to keep the fuel flowing during high boost.

My question is, can I just run a charge pipe reference instead of a manifold reference to keep my fuel pressure at 60 psi, when not in boost?
The only real advantage is that my car would run about the same, only getting richer in boost. I will be swapping injectors soon, which I imagine will change everything, so I will have to revisit my fuel table again, just being lazy. I might as well learn how the small Flow Force injectors work with a 1:1 manifold reference.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:13 AM
VladiTuned

Total Cats: 3,481

It's really stupid, and will make your ve table look all sorts of wonky, but possible.

In summary: don't be lazy.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Elite Member

Additionally, my fuel pressure will drop to near 50 psi at idle. I can't help but wonder if that will change fuel efficiency and emissions some, not that it really matters. I don't seem to have an issue until my differential injector pressure is below 40 psi. I will run a manifold reference.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Elite Member

Thanks guys!
Old 02-06-2018, 11:24 AM
VladiTuned

Total Cats: 3,481

fuel efficiency? like from poor atomization due to lower pressure? won't even be noticeable

Quick Reply: sonofthehill sets his sights on MK ULTRA