The Dedicated URABUS Thread - Page 14 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

View Poll Results: Do we need a Subaru Subforum?
Yes! We need this! 0 0%
No! It's not a Miata and I don't care! 0 0%
Yes! Plus I would like to nominate 18psi as autofellator 9,001 100.00%
Voters: 9001. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #261
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 53
Total Cats: 0
Default

Another miata/subbie fanboy here

Old LGT fujirsubos and strange II tune







Replaced with this

Attached Thumbnails
The Dedicated URABUS Thread-image.jpg   The Dedicated URABUS Thread-image_zpsdbbb0227.jpg   The Dedicated URABUS Thread-image_zps426ed7f0.jpg   The Dedicated URABUS Thread-image_zpsbcce85cd.jpg   The Dedicated URABUS Thread-image_zps59123e31.jpg  

piripi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #262
Destroyer of Inconel
Thread Starter
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,756
Total Cats: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piripi View Post
Replaced with this

Awww yisss. Love me some dirty AWD goodness.
EO2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #263
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,177
Total Cats: 198
Default

I've been getting the P2021 (flakey TGV sensor) on my OBXT the past few months when the car sits for a few days while I drive the miata. So instead of replacing the $15 sensor I decided to remove the tumble generator valves. Seems a simple deal from what I read online and there's only a few steps to do according to the factory shop manual.

F*ck that ****. So not-subaru like job. I had to disassemble WAY too much crap to finally get the damn things out. Plus my HF compressor isn't compressing anywhere near as well as it should so diegrinding the dividers took a couple hours.

I also reinstalled the factory top mount IC. I never liked the FMIC and now that I'm no longer towing a boat with this car I don't care as much about prolonged IAT's. Finally, instaboost is back.

TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #264
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 33,168
Total Cats: 1,990
Default

dude. the best way to do tgv's is to pull the mani and everything around it as one unit. I think you may have made it harder than it should be.

but yes, deleting the stupid things is a good idea. their only function is to fail and leave the owner with a huge repair bill lol

same goes for the stupid aux pump system
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #265
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,177
Total Cats: 198
Default

There's NO WAY IN HELL that mani would come off in one piece. That's what I attempted to do first because it's the obvious solution: the easy to get to TGV-to-head bolts, wiring connectors, fuel connectors, yank, done. NOPE! Surely, it comes loose and can wiggle around an inch or two, but there seems to always be something in the way. Ok fine, I'll disconnect the TGV's from the plastic intake. That gives you another inch, but NOPE, doesn't come out. The fuel rails and other emission crap are bolted to the bottom of the plastic intake.

The biggest issue was the coolant tank on passenger size (ok FINE i'll drain it and move it but NOPE not enough room) and the vent hoses going to the valve covers. Those get connected to a plastic T pipe that's woven between/around/thru the wiring harness and emission crap at the back of the intake. And they ultimately get connected to the turbo inlet air pipe that also can't come out without seperating the intake from the TGV.

Whatever, too many words. Royal PITA. But yeah the car feels better and now I can send you logs for tuning advice
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #266
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 33,168
Total Cats: 1,990
Default

18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #267
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,177
Total Cats: 198
Default

Anyone want an itsme/RACERX FMIC kit? Fits " '05 to '09 LGTs and '08+WRXs with stock intake manifolds"

I should have all the pieces for LGT or STi style turbo outlets.

info: Racer X(itsme) FMIC for '05 to '09 LGTs and '08+ WRX are in stock ready to ship! - Subaru Legacy Forums
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #268
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: woosta, ma
Posts: 8,605
Total Cats: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
There's NO WAY IN HELL that mani would come off in one piece. That's what I attempted to do first because it's the obvious solution: the easy to get to TGV-to-head bolts, wiring connectors, fuel connectors, yank, done. NOPE! Surely, it comes loose and can wiggle around an inch or two, but there seems to always be something in the way. Ok fine, I'll disconnect the TGV's from the plastic intake. That gives you another inch, but NOPE, doesn't come out. The fuel rails and other emission crap are bolted to the bottom of the plastic intake.

The biggest issue was the coolant tank on passenger size (ok FINE i'll drain it and move it but NOPE not enough room) and the vent hoses going to the valve covers. Those get connected to a plastic T pipe that's woven between/around/thru the wiring harness and emission crap at the back of the intake. And they ultimately get connected to the turbo inlet air pipe that also can't come out without seperating the intake from the TGV.

Whatever, too many words. Royal PITA. But yeah the car feels better and now I can send you logs for tuning advice
welcome to working in the subaru engine bay.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #269
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,165
Total Cats: 1,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
Anyone want an itsme/RACERX FMIC kit? Fits " '05 to '09 LGTs and '08+WRXs with stock intake manifolds"

I should have all the pieces for LGT or STi style turbo outlets.

info: Racer X(itsme) FMIC for '05 to '09 LGTs and '08+ WRX are in stock ready to ship! - Subaru Legacy Forums
for free? sure
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #270
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 33,168
Total Cats: 1,990
Default

I wouldn't run one even if it was free....just sayin
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #271
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: woosta, ma
Posts: 8,605
Total Cats: 91
Default

If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to make on of these nose heavy pigs of a car into a racecar it would have an FMIC, and a low mount turbo, and a flipped intake manifold.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #272
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,177
Total Cats: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
for free? sure
I'd barter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I wouldn't run one even if it was free....just sayin
What would you run? I'm thinking of a DIY TMIC using a 18x12x3 overall intercooler, the tiny one that was popular here 5 years ago. Still a bunch bigger than the factory intercooler. I hear these like to pop apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to make on of these nose heavy pigs of a car into a racecar it would have an FMIC, and a low mount turbo, and a flipped intake manifold.
I guess you haven't worked around the subaru engine, eh?
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #273
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: woosta, ma
Posts: 8,605
Total Cats: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I'd barter.

What would you run? I'm thinking of a DIY TMIC using a 18x12x3 overall intercooler, the tiny one that was popular here 5 years ago. Still a bunch bigger than the factory intercooler. I hear these like to pop apart.

I guess you haven't worked around the subaru engine, eh?
No I have and I know right where that turbo is going, close to where the 2015 turbo is.

TMIC wise. Grimmspeed is looking rather promising, with the whole actual engineering thing going on.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #274
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,177
Total Cats: 198
Default

engineering = expensive.

miata subaru expensive
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #275
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: woosta, ma
Posts: 8,605
Total Cats: 91
Default

Then just get an egay one and diy a hood scoop seal and gain not much over stock.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #276
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 33,168
Total Cats: 1,990
Default

For the craptastic plastic mani setups the clear winner (IMO) is process west.
Or you can get the fms knockoff of process west.
Or spearco.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #277
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: North St Paul, MN
Posts: 394
Total Cats: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
TMIC wise. Grimmspeed is looking rather promising, with the whole actual engineering thing going on.
I work by the GS shop and stop by there often to pick up parts for our shop. The GS crew is full of good people and quality work. I do like the time that they are putting into the TMIC developement. My old 09 WRX was actually one of their test cars. After working with them for so many years I will always feel good about putting GS stuff on my car.

I was actually debating pulling my FMIC on my LGT and selling it off to swap back to the GS TMIC. I have some major heat soak issues with my FMIC and intake setup that the PO put on the car. I see potential benefit in swapping back to a GS TMIC setup, undertray and stock airbox. I guess we will see how much "fun" money the snowboard season brings me this year.
ofspunk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #278
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 33,168
Total Cats: 1,990
Default

GS has a tmic for the plastic mani cars? News to me. Link?

I think they definitely put out a decent tmic for the older cars.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #279
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: North St Paul, MN
Posts: 394
Total Cats: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
GS has a tmic for the plastic mani cars? News to me. Link?

I think they definitely put out a decent tmic for the older cars.
It's coming. They have been working on it for quite a while. It should be dropping shortly.
ofspunk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #280
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,177
Total Cats: 198
Default

Yeah it was news to me too Vlad, nabisco:

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest? - NASIOC

I signed up for their emailed updates.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Definitive "VVT swap into 91 chassis" Failure Build Eunos91 Build Threads 17 03-26-2016 08:39 PM
Miata assorted accessories VRRMPSH Miata parts for sale/trade 9 02-18-2016 03:50 PM
Tuning Idle Valve MS2E Rev build willeywilson MEGAsquirt 11 02-10-2016 07:27 PM
PT vs NPT MartinezA92 Insert BS here 9 02-09-2016 11:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:56 PM.