Installing Shanghai-S kit tomorrow..help? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Go Back  Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats. > General Discussion > Media > Build Threads
Reload this Page >

Installing Shanghai-S kit tomorrow..help?

Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Installing Shanghai-S kit tomorrow..help?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default Installing Shanghai-S kit tomorrow..help?

So it's Sunday right now and my last box for my turbo kit comes in tomorrow. I will start removing some major parts in the morning. I was wondering if anyone has tips or tricks on installing the kit? The instructions on the disc doesn't really tell you what bags needs to be used during the installation. This is my first time installing a turbo kit. I have almost all the tools except for a timing light and Permatex sealer.

-Purchased MSPNP from a member on CR (was shipped on Friday)
-Purchased IAT sensor w/ pigtail (bought on sdaturday from DIYautotune.com)
-Purchased CXracing IC from a member on MT (shipped a week ago..)
AdoboMiata is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 01:34 AM
  #2  
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,499
Total Cats: 598
Default

Where are you? Maybe someone local can help.
curly is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 321
Total Cats: -2
Default

The install is fairly straightforward. Plus they have a paper telling what every bag is. Just use a little bit of common sense and follow the directions and you'll be alright.
cowboys647 is offline  
Old 08-06-2012, 05:13 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Originally Posted by curly View Post
Where are you? Maybe someone local can help.
Honolulu, Hawaii

Originally Posted by cowboys647 View Post
The install is fairly straightforward. Plus they have a paper telling what every bag is. Just use a little bit of common sense and follow the directions and you'll be alright.
Okay..
AdoboMiata is offline  
Reply
Leave a poscat -1 Leave a negcat
Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Btw, the mspnp compatible with Windows7
AdoboMiata is offline  
Old 08-07-2012, 10:33 PM
  #6  
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,745
Total Cats: 469
Default

Please, please, please call Microsoft customer support and ask them questions about your turbo install. And record the call. Please.
mgeoffriau is offline  
Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 PM
  #7  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,305
Total Cats: 779
Default

First make sure you put together what you can put together such as all the fittings on the turbo, have all the hose clamps on the right couplers. Do your homework before you go to bed and you'll have an easier install. Don't connect stuff you gotta screw in though for example the oil drain.

Also ensure you have a serial port on yoru laptop, if u dont have one make sure you get the appropriate cable. At last make sure you read enough to have a clue what you're doing with megasquirt. And leave the wastegate flapper door disconnected so you're not spooling.

Also read the instructions few times before attempting the install and make sure you have all the tools necessary at hand. You should know the instructions so well that you can grab a part out of a plastic bag and know exactly where it goes to.

Last edited by triple88a; 08-07-2012 at 11:16 PM.
triple88a is offline  
Old 08-07-2012, 11:53 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
First make sure you put together what you can put together such as all the fittings on the turbo, have all the hose clamps on the right couplers. Do your homework before you go to bed and you'll have an easier install. Don't connect stuff you gotta screw in though for example the oil drain.

Also ensure you have a serial port on yoru laptop, if u dont have one make sure you get the appropriate cable. At last make sure you read enough to have a clue what you're doing with megasquirt. And leave the wastegate flapper door disconnected so you're not spooling.

Also read the instructions few times before attempting the install and make sure you have all the tools necessary at hand. You should know the instructions so well that you can grab a part out of a plastic bag and know exactly where it goes to.
Thanks, last night I organized the bags, 1-25. I'm going to read over the instructions and research more on the mspnp (btw, it came with the USB adapter) today before I start putting it together tomorrow.
AdoboMiata is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 01:45 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

So this came in the mail today. I have not clue what the left corner part is for.. I know its for the throttle body but I'm not sure if I will be able to use it on my car.
Attached Thumbnails Installing Shanghai-S kit tomorrow..help?-182154_481564508520328_703089535_n.jpg  
AdoboMiata is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 01:50 AM
  #10  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,305
Total Cats: 779
Default

I have no clue it doesnt look like it has a butterfly on there.. it almost looks like its a dummy throttle body for a supercharger which makes no sense since it has all the extra accessories on it.
triple88a is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 AM
  #11  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
I have no clue it doesnt look like it has a butterfly on there.. it almost looks like its a dummy throttle body for a supercharger which makes no sense since it has all the extra accessories on it.
mm, Should I take closer pictures? Well, All I got is a camera phone.
AdoboMiata is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 05:08 AM
  #12  
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,499
Total Cats: 598
Default

That's most likely an automatic transmission throttle body for your throttle position sensor. The manual transmission 1.6 engines had a useless on/off TPS.

That's just speculation though, there's no reason to send the entire throttle body, the sensor itself bolts right on.
curly is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Originally Posted by curly View Post
That's most likely an automatic transmission throttle body for your throttle position sensor. The manual transmission 1.6 engines had a useless on/off TPS.

That's just speculation though, there's no reason to send the entire throttle body, the sensor itself bolts right on.
Thanks Curly,


I'll be heading to the post office in a bit to pick up my package
AdoboMiata is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 04:37 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default



got it!!
Attached Thumbnails Installing Shanghai-S kit tomorrow..help?-319493_481778951832217_862715187_n.jpg  
AdoboMiata is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

So far I removed the whole air filter assembly and unbolted the headers. I'm trying to remove the bracket that holds the piping after the headers but running through some trouble. I got (1) 17 bolt off but can't get the upper one off. Any ideas? tried using a box end wrench and it's not working.
AdoboMiata is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 PM
  #16  
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 14,182
Total Cats: 1,258
Default

Originally Posted by AdoboMiata View Post
So far I removed the whole air filter assembly and unbolted the headers. I'm trying to remove the bracket that holds the piping after the headers but running through some trouble. I got (1) 17 bolt off but can't get the upper one off. Any ideas? tried using a box end wrench and it's not working.
You come from under the car with a long *** extension on a 17mm deep socket. That and a breaker bar should get it right off.
shuiend is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
You come from under the car with a long *** extension on a 17mm deep socket. That and a breaker bar should get it right off.
Standby... let me try it out
AdoboMiata is offline  
Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

It's weird. I spray the mother load of WD-40 and used a 18" extension with the 17mm socket to remove the bolt. Tried forcing it off, no budge. Used a open ended wrench for more leverage. No budge.. WTF!
AdoboMiata is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 AM
  #19  
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,510
Total Cats: 29
Default

Go buy a can of map gas.
flounder is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 AM
  #20  
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Total Cats: -2
Default

You should take pictures of the install from beginning to end if possible
Jaybee94 is offline  
Reply
Leave a poscat -2 Leave a negcat

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing Shanghai-S kit tomorrow..help?


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.