ClutchNet disc, Time to replace - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
dc2696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Edmonton Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,176
Total Cats: 13
Default ClutchNet disc, Time to replace

When I pulled the motor and trans again (6speed going in finally), I stripped off the clutch and flywheel to throw the motor on the stand and I shouldn't really say I was surprised but my clutch net disc (6 puck sprung) is done.

I doubt I have 10k km on it, 2 summers of driving, maybe half a dozen track days.

Is this wear excessive?

Should I replace it with another of the same?

No significant hot spots on the flywheel or anything so it doesn't look like I abused it that much.
dc2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,454
Total Cats: 80
Default

My Spec Stage 2 (half kevlar half organic) only lasted 30k miles.

I bought an FM 1 clutch.
JasonC SBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

What pressure plate are you using?
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,831
Total Cats: 0
Default

6 speed FTW..............go ACT!
WonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Pics or gtfo.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
dc2696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Edmonton Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,176
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
What pressure plate are you using?
Red, I think thats there strongest pp and the disc, IIRC it was supposed to hold 400ft/lbs or maybe it was 300...Something like that.

Lol and yes go 6 speed indeed, no more swapping trannies 3 times a week haha, and time to put down some real power
dc2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,831
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2696 View Post
Red, I think thats there strongest pp and the disc, IIRC it was supposed to hold 400ft/lbs or maybe it was 300...Something like that.

Lol and yes go 6 speed indeed, no more swapping trannies 3 times a week haha, and time to put down some real power
what are you going to do bout your diff gearing?

4.10, 3.9, or 3.63?
WonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
dc2696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Edmonton Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,176
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Pics or gtfo.
Just for you sweetheart I'll brave the minus whatever cold as **** it is outside and get a pic.
dc2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,831
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2696 View Post
Just for you sweetheart I'll brave the minus whatever cold as **** it is outside and get a pic.
UH OH!
WonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
dc2696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Edmonton Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,176
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonTon View Post
what are you going to do bout your diff gearing?

4.10, 3.9, or 3.63?

Having rebuild my lsd more times then I care to remember trying to get the right slip, its staying how it is until a change is necessary. Its a 4.10 with rx7 lsd.
dc2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,831
Total Cats: 0
Default

first gear will be kinda short!

there are folks running 6 speed and 4.10's without complaints, but i recomend trying to get ahold of a torsen 3.9 out of a 01, 02, or 04 (makes them gear a tad bit longer)
WonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
dc2696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Edmonton Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,176
Total Cats: 13
Default

fail.
dc2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
dc2696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Edmonton Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,176
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonTon View Post
first gear will be kinda short!

there are folks running 6 speed and 4.10's without complaints, but i recomend trying to get ahold of a torsen 3.9 out of a 01, 02, or 04 (makes them gear a tad bit longer)
I'll pick up a 3.6 when I finish school and have more money to spend, I never use first gear anyway, its completely useless as is.

Pics are uploading, dial up ftl

Pics: Name:  DSC01345.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  DSC01346.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  DSC01347.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  67.0 KB

Rivets are basiclly flush with the friction pads. Wear looks pretty normal I'm thinking..
dc2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,831
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2696 View Post
I'll pick up a 3.6 when I finish school and have more money to spend, I never use first gear anyway, its completely useless as is.

Pics are uploading, dial up ftl
3.6 is even better! Rotornut was running 6 speed and 3.63's that was tah sex!
WonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 271
Total Cats: 0
Default

That's normal wear, esspecially wth the track days. Plus its a puck disc, less surrface area equals greater wear faster. I know dsm guys that drag/street race, they bang through 1 clutch a season.
FastColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

they don't have much friction material from the start, the rivets are like 1mm inset from the surface new.





Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
dc2696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Edmonton Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,176
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastColt View Post
That's normal wear, esspecially wth the track days. Plus its a puck disc, less surrface area equals greater wear faster. I know dsm guys that drag/street race, they bang through 1 clutch a season.
Werd werd, I just wanted to make sure that the clutch net disc its self (as in construction material of the pads) wasn't the reason for the quick wear out.

Like I said, flywheel looks really good, no hot spots or excessive wear patterns.
dc2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,236
Total Cats: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2696 View Post
...my clutch net disc (6 puck sprung) is done.
Do you have a local clutch shop? You can save yourself some dough and get new friction pads installed. IMO that's a very well constructed street disc- more robust that anything I found as far as the hub structure. I paid my local clutch shop just over $50 to add new material to a four puck disc.

Any idea what friction material was on it new? Did it look like this?

That is the copper ceramic friction material- and rated at 400ftlbs with the sprung hub. The next step down was carbon fiber rated at 300ftlbs. If your disc has copper ceramic, it shouldn't wear like that if truly unabused. That looks like a slipping disc to me. Odd the flywheel doesn't show it.

I bet DC would break a torsen within a week of install.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #19
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
dc2696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Edmonton Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,176
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
Do you have a local clutch shop? You can save yourself some dough and get new friction pads installed. IMO that's a very well constructed street disc- more robust that anything I found as far as the hub structure. I paid my local clutch shop just over $50 to add new material to a four puck disc.

Any idea what friction material was on it new? Did it look like this?

That is the copper ceramic friction material- and rated at 400ftlbs with the sprung hub. The next step down was carbon fiber rated at 300ftlbs. If your disc has copper ceramic, it shouldn't wear like that if truly unabused. That looks like a slipping disc to me. Odd the flywheel doesn't show it.

I bet DC would break a torsen within a week of install.
I believe I ordered the 400ft/lbs disc as I anticipated making 350rwhp, so yes it should be the copper ceramic. It def wasn't the carbon fiber, I remember hearing overheating stories and stayed away from it.

Who said my clutch WASN'T abused? I beat the **** out of my car on a regular basis, ie) downshifting on the highway and laying rubber @ 100kph lol

I just thought it might last alittle longer at that abuse level.

I probably can get the pads replaced locally, great idea M2.

Ya, the flywheel has alittle bit of heat marking but nothing significant (Ya I'll get a pic before anyone asks)

As for the Torsen...lol

Braineack: Werd on the pad depth, might aswell replace them now that its out though, thanks for the pics.


-Dean
dc2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 271
Total Cats: 0
Default

That's normal wear, esspecially wth the track days. Plus its a puck disc, less surrface area equals greater wear faster. I know dsm guys that drag/street race, they bang through 1 clutch a season.
FastColt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM
Another Alternator thread ihiryu General Miata Chat 9 09-28-2015 11:22 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.