Can you pinch my awful fat folds? - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #81
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Lightbulb

Let's just agree to disagree whether the source of calories makes a big difference in healthy weight loss.



Attached Thumbnails
Can you pinch my awful fat folds?-agree-disagree.jpg  
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #82
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,647
Total Cats: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
Breakfast:
1 large glass of whole milk
2 eggs
bacon (2 pieces?)
Much better. How attached are you to having a glass of milk every morning? Are you a coffee drinker? My breakfast beverage is some freshly brewed, high quality coffee with some coconut oil and grassfed butter whisked in. The combination of caffeine, MCT's, and high quality fat is awesome. Tastes fantastic too.

Quality matters for the bacon -- I'm a fan of Oscar Meyer Select. I was surprised since it's Oscar Meyer, but it's actually really good.

Oh, and save your bacon grease for cooking other things. Keep a jar of it.

Quote:
Lunch:
Chicken breast
steamed veggies
No problem here, though some healthy fat would be better. Eat half an avocado or something. It's an awesome snack or side dish. Just cut it in half, salt lightly, and scoop it out with a spoon. Organic avocados are more expensive, but in my experience, it's worth it as they stay ripe longer so you don't end up throwing as many out.

Quote:
Snack:
small cup of greek yogurt with honey
Perfect, just go light on the honey.

Quote:
Dinner:
Chicken breast/fish/turkey
Steamed veggies
small salad with a full fat dressing
Looks good, though I'd say that there's no reason to avoid good-quality red meat. The fats will be better than poultry. If steak is too expensive/inconvenient, just get some good ground beef and fry up a few hamburger steaks in real fats (bacon grease, grassfed butter, etc.).

Also, what kind of salad dressing? I'd avoid any store-bought creamy dressings (which sucks, I know -- I love ranch dressing) because of the processed oils. EVOO and balsamic vinegar is the best here.

Quote:
water throughout the day.
Yup.



Seriously, if you can make this change, you'll probably feel a little down for 2 or 3 days, and then you're going to start feeling really good. Then we'll get you tinkering with the details of your diet, adding some fermented foods and cramming as many coconut products into your diet as we can.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #83
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,542
Total Cats: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
Breakfast: 16oz. coconut milk (because A: it's the bomb, and because B: lactose free), 1 whole pear, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/4 avocado, and ice to taste, blended.

Optional ingredients to taste:
Honey
Handful of chia seeds
cinnamon
pure vanilla extract
not a fan of shakes as meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
Snack: ditch the yogurt, grab an apple
This I can do but I will probably vary the snack quite a bit between different fruits and yogurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
Lunch: shredded carrots over a bed of arugula topped with shredded manchego cheese and 1/4 avocado, add pumpkin or sunflower seeds for protein, and extra virgin olive oil for fat. Add a bowl of your favorite soup to finish out lunch
While this sounds good this is the kind of meal I was trying to avoid because I will not stick to making this. You are introducing a lot of different ingredients That are not staples and while none of this is particularly hard to make I would have to store a lot of different ingredients. I buy in bulk and I have limited space so this probably will not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
Dinner: steamed broccoli with XV olive oil, mixed with zested orange, chicken / lamb / beef with vegetables
I like this meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
Dessert: dark chocolate, and a glass or two of red wine.
Love dark chocolate...not so much red wine. I like white but it does not have the same health benefits. I'll just drink a hoppy beer.

My main priority is keeping the meals as simple as possible. The more ingredients that are common between meals the easier and cheaper it is for me.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #84
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,647
Total Cats: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
I'll just drink a hoppy beer.
Noooooo!
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #85
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,542
Total Cats: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Much better. How attached are you to having a glass of milk every morning? Are you a coffee drinker? My breakfast beverage is some freshly brewed, high quality coffee with some coconut oil and grassfed butter whisked in. The combination of caffeine, MCT's, and high quality fat is awesome. Tastes fantastic too.
I am not overly attached to milk and I love coffee especially a good quality bean. I need a good coffee maker though because that is really what makes the difference. I like drinking milk because it tastes good and it is an easy way for me to keep it in the house for cooking without wasting any when it goes bad if I do not use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Quality matters for the bacon -- I'm a fan of Oscar Meyer Select. I was surprised since it's Oscar Meyer, but it's actually really good.

Oh, and save your bacon grease for cooking other things. Keep a jar of it.
I will keep quality in mind and I already save the grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
No problem here, though some healthy fat would be better. Eat half an avocado or something. It's an awesome snack or side dish. Just cut it in half, salt lightly, and scoop it out with a spoon. Organic avocados are more expensive, but in my experience, it's worth it as they stay ripe longer so you don't end up throwing as many out.
I realized after reading it that there was not enough fat in the meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Looks good, though I'd say that there's no reason to avoid good-quality red meat. The fats will be better than poultry. If steak is too expensive/inconvenient, just get some good ground beef and fry up a few hamburger steaks in real fats (bacon grease, grassfed butter, etc.).
I love a good steak so this is no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Also, what kind of salad dressing? I'd avoid any store-bought creamy dressings (which sucks, I know -- I love ranch dressing) because of the processed oils. EVOO and balsamic vinegar is the best here.
I like a large variety of dressings. I heard it was easy to make your own balsamic dressings with quality ingredients. I might try this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Seriously, if you can make this change, you'll probably feel a little down for 2 or 3 days, and then you're going to start feeling really good. Then we'll get you tinkering with the details of your diet, adding some fermented foods and cramming as many coconut products into your diet as we can.
Sounds like a plan. I love coconut.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #86
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,542
Total Cats: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Noooooo!
Beer is something that is not going away. I love craft beer. I do not drink a lot of it but it is one of life's pleasures for me.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #87
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,039
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Noooooo!
Why not? Beer is just a type of wine, the same as mead is a type of wine. The base carbohydrate being fermented is just different.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #88
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,126
Total Cats: 187
Default

red wine instead of white wine because white wine is more acidic and detrimental to digestive health - the same way that tomatoes are acidic...BUT - everyone is different. The tomatoes/white wine may not be an issue. Similarly, your dark chocolate shouldn't be any higher than 65% cacao - or else it too becomes too acidic. I wouldn't recommend beer except to have a bottle or two on the weekends.

For dinner, make a double batch of salad / steamed veggies / etc., and take the extra serving with you for part of your lunch the next day.

The part about feeling like **** for 2-3 days is absolutely spot-on. You'll probably have headaches, be tired/worn out, feel generally like crap. Just remember, drink plenty of water, get plenty of rest, and don't work out for those 2-3 days.
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #89
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,647
Total Cats: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
Beer is something that is not going away. I love craft beer. I do not drink a lot of it but it is one of life's pleasures for me.
I understand, I've got plenty of my own "less-than-healthy" cheats. The main thing is just to be in control of it so you don't sabotage your own goals.

One thing that might help minimize the detrimental effects of beer would be to consume it after a hard workout. More of the carbs will go toward restoring glycogen in your muscles instead of being stored as body fat.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #90
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Saml01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,730
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Quality matters for the bacon -- I'm a fan of Oscar Meyer Select. I was surprised since it's Oscar Meyer, but it's actually really good.

Oh, and save your bacon grease for cooking other things. Keep a jar of it.
I am a fan of trader joes centercut. Its free from nitrates or nitrites and I also can its grease for later use. Also cheaper than oscar meyer select and I think it tastes better too. If you like bacon I highly recommend giving it a shot if you have not. Since I only eat bacon once a week I am pretty particular ;-)
Saml01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #91
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,647
Total Cats: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Why not? Beer is just a type of wine, the same as mead is a type of wine. The base carbohydrate being fermented is just different.
Because fermented grains still suck, fermented fruit are awesome.

Definitive Guide to Alcohol on a Low Carb Diet | Mark's Daily Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
Similarly, your dark chocolate shouldn't be any higher than 65% cacao - or else it too becomes too acidic.
Have not heard this before and I'm curious about it -- I've always heard the opposite, in fact: look for at least 85% cacao to avoid added sugars and soy lecithin in most chocolates.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #92
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,647
Total Cats: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saml01 View Post
I am a fan of trader joes centercut. Its free from nitrates or nitrites and I also can its grease for later use. Also cheaper than oscar meyer select and I think it tastes better too. If you like bacon I highly recommend giving it a shot if you have not. Since I only eat bacon once a week I am pretty particular ;-)
No Trader Joe's down here.

But we are getting a Whole Foods in a few months.

I wouldn't be too worried about the nitrate/nitrite thing, however.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #93
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,039
Total Cats: 99
Default

Ok so lets say you're going to go with one of these mild keto diets.

What do the meals look like if you only have 1/2 an hour in the morning to prepare food (breakfast and lunch) and to eat. And only have an hour for food prep and eating around 5:30. You also like to buy in bulk.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #94
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,542
Total Cats: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Ok so lets say you're going to go with one of these mild keto diets.

What do the meals look like if you only have 1/2 an hour in the morning to prepare food (breakfast and lunch) and to eat. And only have an hour for food prep and eating around 5:30. You also like to buy in bulk.
Get less sleep. More time for food prep

Seriously though you have to cook in bulk. This is what I use to do. So say you don't have time except on Sunday. You cook your meals for the entire week on Sunday and then reheat in a small toaster oven.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #95
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,039
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
Get less sleep. More time for food prep

Seriously though you have to cook in bulk. This is what I use to do. So say you don't have time except on Sunday. You cook your meals for the entire week on Sunday and then reheat in a small toaster oven.
I wish, I really push the limits at 4-6 hours a night as it is. I wish I could do food prep at work when I actually have time. How well does re-heating a fried egg work?
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #96
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,542
Total Cats: 151
Default

Honestly reheating most food in a toaster oven is not bad. If you have to use a microwave... you're gonna have a bad time.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #97
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,647
Total Cats: 444
Default

Hard boiled eggs.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #98
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,039
Total Cats: 99
Default

I'd also be worried about the retrogradation of the lethicin in the egg that was stored in the fridge for a while... Wait a second I've kept home made potato salad for over a week before. Making a whole weeks worth of breakfast might just work. Or I could just boil them.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #99
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,542
Total Cats: 151
Default

you could also invest in a vacuum sealer so that your food cannot react with the air. My mom had one. It is boss.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #100
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,647
Total Cats: 444
Default

mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 04:11 PM
elesjuan's mediocre 95 Miata adventure (google fiber edition) elesjuan Build Threads 8 02-16-2016 08:36 PM
NA Tire Clearance MX5JER Race Prep 34 09-27-2015 01:44 AM
Twitchy car (tail happy problem) bigben Race Prep 16 09-11-2015 03:41 PM
NB8B / 15x9 / 225.45.15 - How low can you go? Neddy Race Prep 5 09-08-2015 03:13 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 AM.