How foolish is it to move to Houston with my GF temporarily? - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #61
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post

Not all sales jobs are like that. Ask me how I know. Many offer a lot of freedom. You can always get fired bu there are a shitload of sales jobs out there.

If GF is best of the best or at least pretty good World Bank or IMF loves economists with PhDs. Ask me how I know that too haha.
She's not a very big fan of the IMF. Jump to the other end of the spectrum.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #62
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzfsho! View Post
^^ Lol brain, nice copy and paste from your post in the divorce thread over at CR....... Great advice though.

I figure I needed to add some words of advice. What better than Jedi wisdom?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #63
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
she and I like being able to leave if it's not working.
and that's the difference between married and non married.

married: if **** goes wrong, you work hard together to fix it

not married: if **** goes wrong, **** that *****!


maybe you shouldn't move then. scottfw's frequent road trip idea sounds pretty good.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #64
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Is it sad that I wish my wife was moving the Houston for a job? I'd leave here in a heart beat.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #65
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Springfield IL
Posts: 2,750
Total Cats: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
and that's the difference between married and non married.

married: if **** goes wrong, you work hard together to fix it

not married: if **** goes wrong, **** that *****!


maybe you shouldn't move then. scottfw's frequent road trip idea sounds pretty good.
X2 on all accounts.

Driving till you find a decent job in the area would be what I'd do.
chpmnsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #66
Elite Member
iTrader: (41)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 2,409
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Is it sad that I wish my wife was moving the Houston for a job? I'd leave here in a heart beat.
You Yanks aint welcome here. The economy here is always pretty damn strong. We slowed down for about 3 months and then kicked right back up.
rharris19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #67
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
and that's the difference between married and non married.

married: if **** goes wrong, you work hard together to fix it

not married: if **** goes wrong, **** that *****!


maybe you shouldn't move then. scottfw's frequent road trip idea sounds pretty good.
Marriage is a little different in my perspective considering my mother and father were married a combined 12 times each and my step mother and father just divorced because it was financially convenient due to his health condition.

you can't tell me that marriage binds people together.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #68
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default



Being that I will never breed, I would only marry if the girl had higher net worth than me. Regard bitches, aquire currency.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #69
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas, 'Murica
Posts: 2,505
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Thanks for all the help on this. I'm not sure what to do other than go home and get ****-house drunk.

Well that was going to be my initial advise. If you do what I do, and make stupid assed threads when you're drunk, then you are achieving true baller status. Also, on the GS14 thing, I totally agree, they don't do a damn thing. Around here, the only thing that can get them to do **** is the General. O6 and below need not try.

Edit at what Y8s said. I would have had my wife on a plane back home a time or two if we weren't married. But we worked things out, and I am glad we did. I know damn good and well that wouldn't have worked out if we weren't. Plus, I know a ring doesn't stop some guys, but there is always going to be guys trying to swoop in since you aren't married. I know when I was single, and a girl said she had a boyfriend, I just kind of laughed off. I was usually right. Nothing like a good ****-block.

Last edited by chicksdigmiatas; 06-30-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Waiting to see how the cock block thing will go.. lol
chicksdigmiatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #70
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris19 View Post
You Yanks aint welcome here. The economy here is always pretty damn strong. We slowed down for about 3 months and then kicked right back up.
Yanks? We fought for the South...
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #71
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Marriage is a little different in my perspective considering my mother and father were married a combined 12 times each and my step mother and father just divorced because it was financially convenient due to his health condition.

you can't tell me that marriage binds people together.
The fact that some (or even most) people treat marriage as if it means nothing does not prove that it, in fact, means nothing.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #72
Elite Member
iTrader: (41)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 2,409
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Yanks? We fought for the South...
Don't try to change stuff with your "facts" Yank. You still aint welcome.
rharris19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #73
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 444
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Is it sad that I wish my wife was moving the Houston for a job? I'd leave her in a heart beat for Lars.




Cold-hearted closet person.
saint_foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #74
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
The fact that some (or even most) people treat marriage as if it means nothing does not prove that it, in fact, means nothing.
100% correct. Some treat it with reverence and fight to keep theirs going. Others don't give 2 ***** and look for an easy way out (not that divorce is always an easy way out, not saying it is). It's really as important or trivial as the couple decide to make it.
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #75
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
ThatGuy85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Waldo, Ohio
Posts: 750
Total Cats: 8
Default

There's tons of jobs available in a big city like houston. Ditto what a lot of others have said, let her move and work on the job hunting. Hell my company actually has an office in houston. If you want I can give you some contact info..

I do agree that getting shithouse drunk is the appropriate thing to do tonight, however.
ThatGuy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #76
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas, 'Murica
Posts: 2,505
Total Cats: 7
Default

We are all in agreement then.. Alcohol will solve all of your problems.
chicksdigmiatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #77
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Let her move, keep your job, search for something respectable in her area. If you can't find **** and it strains your relationship, then decide what to do. If you can't find **** and it doesn't strain your relationship, stay.

You'll be pissed if you move out now, live in a shithole, mothball the car for 6 months, and then find a decent job and have to drag yourself out of that hole. Dip toes, don't jump in head first.
I didn't read the rest of the thread but I have to agree with this. We're not talking about 1500 miles of space between you two. Keep your good job and help her pay rent in a nice place. What school is she going to? My friend has a really nice studio rental in mid-town.

Visit her almost every weekend. Go to driving events less, but dont give it up completely. Keep working on your nest egg. Re-assess the situation in a year. I know how you feel, but 18 months is really not a long time at all.

I'm a firm believer that being apart really helps you grow together in a lot of ways. My girlfriend and I were in different cities for 3 years (while she was in school) and I only saw here on the weekends, if not every other weekend. We've been together for 6 (or 7?) years now, living together for 3.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicksdigmiatas View Post
We are all in agreement then.. Alcohol will solve all of your problems.
Oh ****, this for sure. Forget everything I said.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #78
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Marriage is a little different in my perspective considering my mother and father were married a combined 12 times each and my step mother and father just divorced because it was financially convenient due to his health condition.

you can't tell me that marriage binds people together.
fine, call it whatever you want and do it however you want. the point was that at some point in a relationship you know you're going to stay together and get "married" to each other (whether religious, civil, or just pinky swears and no contract with god or whatever) and you commit to work **** out instead of giving up and running away from the problem.

if you both want an easy exit strategy from this 18 month relationship, then I don't think it's necessarily worth changing up the life you enjoy currently.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #79
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,686
Total Cats: 559
Default

Hustler, just one thing. Marriage is NOT a religious ceremony. I am about the strongest advocate against organized religion you will ever meet, and I got married. Yes, in a church, because that was what was expected. But the setting is immaterial.

Marriage is a VOW. I swore, in front of family and friends (and some would say God, but I disagree) that we'd be together "till death do us part". Divorce is a weasle out, IMO. You give your word, you are expected to keep it. I, for one, intend to do so.


If you are not ready for that kind of commitment (and most are not), then do what is right for YOU. If you sacrifice for her, and later decide it wasn't worth it, you will regret it and begin to resent her.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #80
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleete View Post
Marriage is a VOW. I swore, in front of family and friends (and some would say God, but I disagree) that we'd be together "till death do us part". Divorce is a weasle out, IMO. You give your word, you are expected to keep it. I, for one, intend to do so.
I've gotten three people divorces (all the paperwork etc). Marriage is an outdated social convention which is based on the bullshit notion that a) love is forever, b) people give a **** about one another, c) people give a **** about themselves, d) blah humbug.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
01-05 Fab9 PNP COPs (used) FrankB Miata parts for sale/trade 6 09-30-2015 12:48 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 AM.