How foolish is it to move to Houston with my GF temporarily? - Page 6 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #101
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

hey! i rounded up.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #102
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 620
Total Cats: 4
Default

I don't have any advice for you on your moving/gf situation that hasn't already been said... but I saw the comment below and thought I'd give some advice since it's a situation I've just extricated myself from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I'd kill for a job at a track-car shop making nothing if I could get on a racetrack occasionally as a fringe benefit.
Six years ago I'd have agreed with you... but after working for the egomaniac that owns the shop I work for (for another 11 days) I'd vehemently disagree. People who work for successful race shops rarely get on track because they're always at the track working 14 hour days... when they're not they're in the shop prepping for the next event. Damn near every shop owner I've met is like my current employer, they run the shop to fund THEIR toy and racing budget and have no interest at all in their employees welfare let alone their ability to go to the track. Our shop (one of the premier vintage race shops in the US), has a staff of around 10 generally and in ~6 years I've watched over 30 people go in/out the door. That sort of turnover says something about a business. They've been in business for 19 years, and have only one tech who's been there more than 6 years (owners son-in-law) and even he's only been there about 11years. If you want to know more, I can relate tons of stories (lol, ask Sav... he's heard lots of them) but suffice it to say...

It's not the dream job most enthusiasts think it is...
Rennkafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #103
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Sounds like the work experience varies depending on the boss. Go figure.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #104
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Loving yourself more than your spouse is why 50% of marriages end in divorce.

1. Pick the right girl. She needs to demonstrate the behavior of sacrificing her wants and needs for yours when necessary. If she respects you enough to put your wants first, then she is a giving companion to you.

2. Be the right guy. You need to demonstrate the behavior of sacrificing your wants and needs for hers when necessary. If you respect her enough to put her wants first, then you are a giving companion to her.

If she is unkind to strangers run away. If she doesn't give people the benefit of the doubt, run away. If she is selfish, run away.

If she is generous to people that have nothing for her in return, she is good. If she performs acts of kindness for you because she truly desires to see you happy, she is good.

Selfish people destroy themselves and their relationships. Some people will always be selfish and will never have a lasting, fulfilling relationship. Their marriages will be unhappy and be failures.

Hustler knows if she is truly good or not. If she is good, the bond will likely grow deeper with time. If she is not good, heed the warning signs early and run away.
Truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
That logic doesn't fly. It's like saying, "10% of the adult male population is gay. Therefore, if you have 9 friends who aren't gay, that means you are most likely gay."

I know my marriage is (and will be) different because my wife and I treat our marriage differently.
Truth. Completely agree.

Way too many people go into it thinking: "well if it doesn't work out I'll just bail". Way too many people don't give a **** and live their whole life with one finger on the "eject button".

You don't like something? **** it, DIVORCE.

That's bullshit, and probably the biggest reason for such high divorce rate.
In other countries divorce is looked upon with fear, disgust, and is pretty much the absolute LAST resort before death or something like that. I mean, people know that if they divorce they will be looked down upon by everyone else, and pretty much be an outcast. So they go into it way more seriously, and work at it as hard as they can, and while some still end up splitting up, its nowhere near what it is here in America.

Just my opinion/observation
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #105
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennkafer View Post
It's not the dream job most enthusiasts think it is...
If only I owned a dyno...and had a customer base.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #106
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Loving yourself more than your spouse is why 50% of marriages end in divorce.
This is semantics. You can say "loving your spouse more than yourself..." and get another dozen people to nod their heads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
1. Pick the right girl. She needs to demonstrate the behavior of sacrificing her wants and needs for yours when necessary. If she respects you enough to put your wants first, then she is a giving companion to you.
She turned down a job making six figs in RI because she knew I would not move there. I told her I'd follow her if we stayed in Texas. I mean "after college" but probably didn't make that clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
2. Be the right guy. You need to demonstrate the behavior of sacrificing your wants and needs for hers when necessary. If you respect her enough to put her wants first, then you are a giving companion to her.
I need to give a little more, I'm not sure if killing this job for something is too much or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
If she is unkind to strangers run away. If she doesn't give people the benefit of the doubt, run away. If she is selfish, run away.
She's nice to strangers, and gets-along well with most people in the Texas Miata crew. She coaches collegiate debate, need I say more? She's not selfish at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Selfish people destroy themselves and their relationships. Some people will always be selfish and will never have a lasting, fulfilling relationship. Their marriages will be unhappy and be failures.
I think I'm the selfish one in many regards. I also have the situation where she's made a huge sacrifice by not going to RI, now I fear that it's my turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Hustler knows if she is truly good or not. If she is good, the bond will likely grow deeper with time. If she is not good, heed the warning signs early and run away.
This is clearly the best woman I've ever met.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #107
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Hustler. Interview for sales jobs in Houston. Seriously, unless you have an evil boss like yours or a **** territory and a **** product it's a great gig. Nobody wants to do sales because they are pussies so there are a ****-ton of jobs out there. Just try to interview at a few places and ask about product/company success, quota, territory, habits of most successful reps etc.

That line of work will also nicely complement your GFs ambition to reduce global poverty. Or whatever the inverse of that is haha
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #108
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
This is semantics. You can say "loving your spouse more than yourself..." and get another dozen people to nod their heads.
Yeah, but the people nodding their heads will be ones who have been divorced three times.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #109
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,679
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
This is clearly the best woman I've ever met.
That is all I need to know. Congratulations, because you will be just fine together. Just don't **** this up by being selfish. It takes serious ***** at this step. Time to man up. Some things are worth fighting for. I'm happy you found someone worth it. Not everyone does. Man up and hang on to her and don't let her go.
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #110
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
That is all I need to know. Congratulations, because you will be just fine together. Just don't **** this up by being selfish. It takes serious ***** at this step. Time to man up. Some things are worth fighting for. I'm happy you found someone worth it. Not everyone does. Man up and hang on to her and don't let her go.
Every woman you love is "the best". It's called cognitive distortion.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #111
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
Every woman you love is "the best". It's called cognitive distortion.
This has been another episode of "Faeflora ***** on your point".
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #112
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlab77 View Post
I find it sad that a lot of you, and some in society, seem marriage as a purely legal institution. It is a slippery slope of what is fine for marriage the more people look at it this way. Pretty soon it will be sure why cant you marry fluffy the cat, because the significance of marriage is being devaluated.
Your slope is very slippery.

Contrary to the belief of some, homosexuals are indeed humans and not cats or any other animal.

It's not that marriage is a purely legal institution. It's that the religious part of it is irrelevant now because so many legal implications have been applied to marriage.

The LOVE part of marriage has always been irrelevant. Or at least to the 14 year old girls getting married before they understand what love (and puberty) even is. I think it's refreshing now that we have a choice to marry for the reasons we want--including love. That's why I did it. Not for money, not for some religion.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #113
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
The LOVE part of marriage has always been irrelevant.
Only because you are conflating love with infatuation.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #114
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
Every woman you love is "the best". It's called cognitive distortion.
Not really. I've had GF's who I knew were retarded or that it was temporary.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #115
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

The only real love is BRO love. Pusha knows what I'm talking about
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #116
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
The only real love is BRO love. Pusha knows what I'm talking about
While I'm tempted to agree, I've had feelings for a few females in my day.

The latest was the nurse practitioner at my doctor's office. Total knockout and the good job was just a bonus. Sure, she's one of the few women who've ever seen my ***** flaccid but she grew very familiar with it during my biannual visits.

I had to think about the grossest **** to keep from becoming engorged in her paw.
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #117
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

did she milk your prostate?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #118
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -32
Default

No, but when she used to check me for hernias, she'd often forget to put gloves on.
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #119
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

i like turtles.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #120
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,904
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
Your slope is very slippery.

Contrary to the belief of some, homosexuals are indeed humans and not cats or any other animal.

It's not that marriage is a purely legal institution. It's that the religious part of it is irrelevant now because so many legal implications have been applied to marriage.

The LOVE part of marriage has always been irrelevant. Or at least to the 14 year old girls getting married before they understand what love (and puberty) even is. I think it's refreshing now that we have a choice to marry for the reasons we want--including love. That's why I did it. Not for money, not for some religion.
Never said homosexuals where not people.

It is actually not slippery at all. It is very sound because when people start to say this is what I want where do you draw the line. It is like people misunderstanding the terms freedom and liberty. It does not mean you can do what you want.

But suffice to say that you made my point, marriage is now seen as a legal act (tax break, saving, etc) not as a deeper commitment. Thats why so many people get divorced. The see it as a legal contract that can be entered of left when terms are broken. People have this fallacies that marriage is bliss. It is not. It is a PITA that you will have for the rest of your living days. If people enter marriage fully accepting that and the commitment to work things out rather than leave when they dont get their way then things would not be like they are. Marriage is not a legal document to man.

My fiance and I both fully come this marriage knowing that at some point we will be pissed off at each other. I am actually very glad that for us to get married we have to attend many marriage prep courses, and pre marriage counseling before we are ok by our priest.
Pitlab77 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
01-05 Fab9 PNP COPs (used) FrankB Miata parts for sale/trade 6 09-30-2015 12:48 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 PM.