Where to remove weight from a track only car? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Go Back  Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats. > Performance & Tuning > Race Prep
Reload this Page >

Where to remove weight from a track only car?

Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to remove weight from a track only car?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:57 AM
  #21  
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,119
Total Cats: 477
Default

Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I wonder if removing my soft-top will not help my corner balancing considering the front is super heavy?
remove weight, add downforce.
y8s is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 08:07 AM
  #22  
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 18
Total Cats: 0
Default

Marko is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 AM
  #23  
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,085
Total Cats: 367
Default

I wish I didn't weigh 188lb.
hustler is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 01:38 PM
  #24  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 99
Total Cats: 0
Default

...

Last edited by old_s13; 08-09-2010 at 02:05 PM.
old_s13 is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 03:43 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass.
Posts: 812
Total Cats: 41
Default

I didn't see it mentioned and I know most of this forums about keeping it cheap BUT the v8 roadsters front subframe is supposedly good for 10 lbs ....right where you'd want to lose it.

You could also look at using aluminum or nylon hardware for all non-critical connections (e.g. - fenders, dash, etc.). There's a couple motorcyle vendors that sell a lot of lightweight metric hardware in alu/Ti. Not really worth the effort IMO.


-Zach
thasac is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 03:48 PM
  #26  
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,462
Total Cats: 589
Default

Originally Posted by old_s13 View Post
im surprised no one mentioned sound deadening


good call on the wiring, theres a lot of useless stuff that can be trimmed out. its advisable to build your own wiring harness for the entire engine and chassis.
Wha...? This post is two grammar errors away being warned, and only one idiotic statement.

Why the hell and who the hell would someone want to make a new harness? Dozens of people have documented their miata race car build, and do no such thing. Snowboarder is the first and only I know of that's done anything but just use the stock harness and cut out unneeded wires. And I think all he did was cut the harness where it went through the bulkhead and put a connector there.

Seriously, WTF. Myself, Savington, Keith's Targa build, FM's Track Dog build, Bbundy....Who's advising this!?!
curly is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 04:30 PM
  #27  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 99
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by curly View Post
Wha...? This post is two grammar errors away being warned, and only one idiotic statement.

Why the hell and who the hell would someone want to make a new harness? Dozens of people have documented their miata race car build, and do no such thing. Snowboarder is the first and only I know of that's done anything but just use the stock harness and cut out unneeded wires. And I think all he did was cut the harness where it went through the bulkhead and put a connector there.

Seriously, WTF. Myself, Savington, Keith's Targa build, FM's Track Dog build, Bbundy....Who's advising this!?!
...

Last edited by old_s13; 08-09-2010 at 02:05 PM.
old_s13 is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 04:56 PM
  #28  
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,462
Total Cats: 589
Default

I ******* know you can trim down the harness and make it lighter, I've done it. Your original post, if you can read, suggests making a completely new one yourself, not modifying the original, as everyone else does.
curly is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 05:47 PM
  #29  
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waller Tx
Posts: 41
Total Cats: 0
Default

In my years I've seen many efforts to lighten a race vehicle, some included whaleing bolts and or rifle drilling some parts. If you don't understand the term whaleing, think of a bolt that fits a bushed bore. It could be an alternater bolt or a PPF, the part of the bolt that does not need to be the bushed size can be reduced. Yes it is alot of work to chuck a bolt in a lathe to remove a few grams, but it does add up.
Smustang1234 is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 06:20 PM
  #30  
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,085
Total Cats: 367
Default

Originally Posted by Smustang1234 View Post
In my years I've seen many efforts to lighten a race vehicle, some included whaleing bolts and or rifle drilling some parts.
I don't think anyone on this forum has that kind of money.
hustler is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 06:28 PM
  #31  
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waller Tx
Posts: 41
Total Cats: 0
Default

Trey, it doesn't take $$ it takes friends.
Smustang1234 is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 08:07 PM
  #32  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 99
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by curly View Post
I ******* know you can trim down the harness and make it lighter, I've done it. Your original post, if you can read, suggests making a completely new one yourself, not modifying the original, as everyone else does.
...

Last edited by old_s13; 08-09-2010 at 02:05 PM.
old_s13 is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 PM
  #33  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,938
Total Cats: 1,777
Default

We know, and we don't think that's intelligent. It's significantly easier and cheaper to trim the stock harness down.
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 PM
  #34  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 99
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by Savington View Post
We know, and we don't think that's intelligent. It's significantly easier and cheaper to trim the stock harness down.
sorry

ill sell my car and re-do it the way you guys want
old_s13 is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 10:29 PM
  #35  
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,519
Total Cats: 100
Default

Inflate the tires with helium
olderguy is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 PM
  #36  
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,085
Total Cats: 367
Default

Originally Posted by old_s13 View Post
sorry

ill sell my car and re-do it the way you guys want
Try not to be such a dumbfuck on the forum.
hustler is offline  
Old 08-09-2010, 01:29 AM
  #37  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass.
Posts: 812
Total Cats: 41
Default

Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Try not to be such a dumbfuck on the forum.
To be fair, he was getting an exorbitant amount of **** for something which is pretty ******* common outside of this forum.

There's something to be said about the custom harness in my Dad's vette - no looming and everything is tightly bound and zip tied every 4 inches. In 40 seconds you can trace any wire back to the fuse box which is mounted right on the dash.

If you really wanted to minimize wiring weight in any vehicle/product/house the goal is to bundle components which are 'communicating' with each other as close as possible in order to minimize wire length. I have not messed around too much with the harness under the dash, but I assume Mazda made compromises for the sake of packaging and maintenance which results in a harness which is longer than actually needed in a gutted track car.

We're probably taking grams here of course.

-Zach
thasac is offline  
Old 08-09-2010, 11:00 AM
  #38  
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,119
Total Cats: 477
Default

Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
Inflate the tires with helium
better yet, inflate the tires with vacuum. no mass!
y8s is offline  
Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 PM
  #39  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 99
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by thasac View Post
To be fair, he was getting an exorbitant amount of **** for something which is pretty ******* common outside of this forum.

There's something to be said about the custom harness in my Dad's vette - no looming and everything is tightly bound and zip tied every 4 inches. In 40 seconds you can trace any wire back to the fuse box which is mounted right on the dash.
Sounds awesome.

Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Damn I wish my **** wasnt so ******* small. People often confuse it for my belly button
Fat ****.. haha

Last edited by old_s13; 08-09-2010 at 02:06 PM.
old_s13 is offline  
Old 08-09-2010, 01:03 PM
  #40  
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 370
Total Cats: -13
Default

Originally Posted by y8s View Post
better yet, inflate the tires with vacuum. no mass!
Helium>no mass......considering no mass=no inflation
spd579 is offline  
Reply
Leave a poscat -1 Leave a negcat

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to remove weight from a track only car?


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.