95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 427
Total Cats: 21
Default 95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap

So around 8 months ago I bought a 95m for a fairly hearty price, not cheap but hey m-tax , this is me trying to go boost for cheap.
First step was engine management, I could have band aided but I wanted to be an MS baller, I know people hate gen 1 megasquirts, especially the DIY kits. Picked up an ms1 standalone from on here for 200$, trying to demod it and rebuild it is an a$$, but i kinda like electronics so it equals out.




Spent another 40$ on cables and 40$ on a stimulator, should be here tonight!

Next I scooped up four supra 7mge injectors for 35$, work great I think, should be 305, not running any extra ordinary boost levels



Was going to try a k03 diy setup but when a 300$ cash option for an ebay t3 arrived i couldn't pass up. For 300$ got an intercooler, turbo, piping, down pipe and some other use full stuff.



Easiest turbo to clock..ever
and thats where i stand now, ilovetacotaco should be seen soon. Somewhere inbetween this i got an innovate mtx-l wideband for 150$ thanks to amazon
Attached Thumbnails
95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-img_20160128_141132900_be8d9c5a0cae359796de701f772d69fbf953e902.jpg   95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-img_20160128_141122406_056eda8d6f3cc55aa34ad6937c95bdb3220386b4.jpg   95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-img_20160129_185935225_hdr_e02e354f5090d595ec96176961b3437e0be472fe.jpg   95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-img_20160128_195256414_b8096e6c32327d13a32d85a62625a0f5987ac8c2.jpg  
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 427
Total Cats: 21
Default

Update, wired car in for ms1, can't figure out why it's only running on 2 cylinders. Hopefully I can figure this out. Parents think I've some how turned my car into a roller by pulling the stock ECU out. Any way picked up an act 4 puck unsprung clutch



I do love tacotaco



Going to get the car running Na, do injectors then big cho cho stuff.



Fmic mounting
More to come hopefully when my car isn't a 0.9 L, thank God I still can take the bus to highschool
Attached Thumbnails
95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-img_20160221_214011231_hdr_45c8683ef807461cb8c0c174d1961d745c574f98.jpg   95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-img_20160221_214028639_hdr_6e65b048d5831dc2b194c3a1a879a99f23a9a2f2.jpg   95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-img_20160216_194900_29b2f3467e04e46cb27ce0ff364bec4ab59f69a7.jpg  
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Scaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 663
Total Cats: 214
Default

I appreciate the fact you're in highschool and you're not slamming your car to the ground. Keep it up.
Scaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:27 AM   #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 427
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaxx View Post
I appreciate the fact you're in highschool and you're not slamming your car to the ground. Keep it up.
I couldn't bring myself to even consider ricelands
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 427
Total Cats: 21
Default

Got the car up and running on all 4, then I believe the head gasket then proceeded to blow. More "while youre in there mods" ��
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 30
Total Cats: -1
Default

What grade are you in? I'm a Junior and I'm doing my clutch then putting my turbo kit on. Freaking awesome build dude
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 427
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
What grade are you in? I'm a Junior and I'm doing my clutch then putting my turbo kit on. Freaking awesome build dude
Junior

New radiator will be bought soon. Car is running on bigger injectors, from what I read I should be able to run 10-12 psi which is enough for now. New rota concaves and 205 federals should be coming soon too
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,713
Total Cats: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest95M View Post
Junior

New radiator will be bought soon. Car is running on bigger injectors, from what I read I should be able to run 10-12 psi which is enough for now. New rota concaves and 205 federals should be coming soon too
Those injectors won't get you anywhere near 10-12psi.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 427
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Those injectors won't get you anywhere near 10-12psi.
Could they see me to 200 whp with a professional tune, I know they max out at 85% duty cycle. How much boost could I run reliably with them?
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 427
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest95M View Post
Could they see me to 200 whp with a professional tune, I know they max out at 85% duty cycle. How much boost could I run reliably with them?
scratch that, I know the answer already is no. Do it buy rx8 injectors and run? Or fuel pump and fmu to get desired pressure? What would you do?
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #11
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,713
Total Cats: 1,082
Default

I would buy some flow force injectors. Not worth spending any time or energy on anything less then ev14 injectors. Been there, done that, wasting money for on shitty is not worth it.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #12
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 427
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
I would buy some flow force injectors. Not worth spending any time or energy on anything less then ev14 injectors. Been there, done that, wasting money for on shitty is not worth it.
its tempting, but is there any other way around it? I want 200ish rwhp and that's it. ill probably stay there for a long time, also would the ev14's even be worth installing on a stock fuel pump? Sorry, I hate to ask for advice and not like the answer
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #13
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,713
Total Cats: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest95M View Post
its tempting, but is there any other way around it? I want 200ish rwhp and that's it. ill probably stay there for a long time, also would the ev14's even be worth installing on a stock fuel pump? Sorry, I hate to ask for advice and not like the answer
You are running an ms1. Idle control alone on that sucks, especially if you have ac. You want the best injectors you can get. You can diy the mustang injectors and save some money if you want. No you don't need to change out the fuel pump. I mean you can spend $75-100 on rx7 injectors, then another $100 sending them out to get cleaned. You will be into them for nearly $200 which is slightly less then diy ev14s. You will also idle at 12:1 afr to have your anywhere idle anywhere near smooth. I have ran stock injectors, rx7 injectors, rc550 injectors, dw1000, flowforce injectors, and id1000's. I won't touch anything less then ev14 injectors. It's not worth the time, money, or hassle. Buy good injectors once, never have to worry about them again.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #14
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 427
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
You are running an ms1. Idle control alone on that sucks, especially if you have ac. You want the best injectors you can get. You can diy the mustang injectors and save some money if you want. No you don't need to change out the fuel pump. I mean you can spend $75-100 on rx7 injectors, then another $100 sending them out to get cleaned. You will be into them for nearly $200 which is slightly less then diy ev14s. You will also idle at 12:1 afr to have your anywhere idle anywhere near smooth. I have ran stock injectors, rx7 injectors, rc550 injectors, dw1000, flowforce injectors, and id1000's. I won't touch anything less then ev14 injectors. It's not worth the time, money, or hassle. Buy good injectors once, never have to worry about them again.
Alright you got me. You guys are really good at making other people spend money.
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #15
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,713
Total Cats: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest95M View Post
Alright you got me. You guys are really good at making other people spend money.
If you had any idea of how much I have spent on my primary miata over the past 11 years you would cry.

You have the eBay t3 with the v-band outlet correct? If so it will require cutting of the rear shelf to make it work.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #16
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 427
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
If you had any idea of how much I have spent on my primary miata over the past 11 years you would cry.

You have the eBay t3 with the v-band outlet correct? If so it will require cutting of the rear shelf to make it work.
I already know that. Even if I don't like that I still have an external waste gate and a regular flange and down pipe
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,643
Total Cats: 181
Default

The Flow Force injectors have and are performing flawlessly for my car at 200+ whp. They really are the best option for the least amount of money unless you plan to make baller power on e85. Then you might want to consider real ID's.
My car idles between 14.4 & 14.8 and I run the stock fuel pump.
sonofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #18
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,071
Total Cats: 511
Default

For as cheap as this build is, I'd hate to ignore RX8 injectors they work great to 200hp, and can be had as low as $130s. But I think the max Ive heard of is 225, so not much wiggle room. You might also try to find "that guy" in the classifieds who's looking to get rid of his recently cleaned RC550s for even cheaper. Or just get the FF units.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 427
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
For as cheap as this build is, I'd hate to ignore RX8 injectors they work great to 200hp, and can be had as low as $130s. But I think the max Ive heard of is 225, so not much wiggle room. You might also try to find "that guy" in the classifieds who's looking to get rid of his recently cleaned RC550s for even cheaper. Or just get the FF units.
That's the thing, I'm never planning on using corn fuel or getting anywhere close to where I need 600cc injectors, I was considering using an FMU but I bet ms1 wont like that. Hard decisions
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #20
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,071
Total Cats: 511
Default

K.I.S.S. Get either FF, rx8, or some pre-cleaned rx7/RC injectors.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pat's Ebay Turbo Compound Boost Build patsmx5 Build Threads 1374 Yesterday 10:51 PM
Help on DIY turbo kit. [email protected] DIY Turbo Discussion 7 02-09-2016 08:00 PM
MSM Turbo Setup Wingman703 Miata parts for sale/trade 5 02-09-2016 02:12 PM
NC Clutch options to support Supercharged/Turbo power levels! FAB Fab9 Tuning - Miata Performance Parts 0 02-05-2016 02:38 PM
NEED TURBO PARTS MEGASQUIRT Greenyata WTB 7 01-27-2016 12:24 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 AM.