95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #61
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 423
Total Cats: 21
Default

Alright so today I'm having a minor panic attack about the health of my motor. I finished my exhaust except for a vband leak somewhere, doesn't help that I stripped one of them. The exhaust doesnt contact anywhere but comes damn close to the trans and subframe. Around 1/4 of an inch. Again trying to trace the leak on my down pipe and more water in the exhaust system? Also when starting up it runs fine when my wideband is on heater but once it warms up it leans out and it dies. Which I think is the leak before the o2 sensor so oxygen is present=lean. Is it a problem to lean out at idle? So some minor ms problems to sort out like idle control and fan control and trying to get autotune going.








The only thing else I did engine wise is switch to a 1.6 bk6r plug from the bk5r plug. Yes the downpipe is rough but it moves gases. Exhaust is 2.5 inch straight to a thrust muffler.
Attached Thumbnails
95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-img_20160320_130033078_7a79afddcaf5d42b9aea34284d3c0a82061b0484.jpg   95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-img_20160320_082936429_707ab0a2fdd201c28b7a2c7f97e86194e12d6243.jpg   95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-img_20160320_082854316_058334718ae2916baaad951f8013b6ebb6d77964.jpg  
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 AM   #62
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 30
Total Cats: -1
Default

I wish i could help diagnose the problem. Lets just say I'm very jealous that you already have your turbo stuff installed. My cars a lawn ornament till i replace the clutch
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #63
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 423
Total Cats: 21
Default

Didn't realize how much I suck at pictures. So far the car is running and driving, to and from school. Tuning strategy is good afr's via ve analize, which I love btw. As well as a set of Det can headphones. Still getting boost creep which prevents a full wot throttle run. Cashed out on Dremel bits and will do a nice port job tomorrow. Stock clutch isn't loving it, so the beefy act clutch will be going in soon. Also new england goes from 65 degrees on april 3rd to 4 inches of snow on april 4th and 5th, god (or whatever you think it acceptable here) hates miatas. So next purchase will be some Kosei K8R's 15x8 from tire rack as well as a set of Kumho ecsta v720's in 205 for a summer tire, when ever it comes.












So what I originally wanted this build to be, and what it will be, is very similar to tekel's 95 turbo. A cheap churbo street car that has good suspension, brakes, tires, and power. So I think its pretty close to that
Attached Thumbnails
95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-img_20160325_160303938_66e85ed1f605c797a5bcba87ebd2d66b911c0c4c.jpg   95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-img_20160328_184646320_hdr_d44fbe8db3895ca05d6c799d0c8a4085dea75a6b.jpg   95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-ngsfoen_51416bccb372c899b03c9e6952abec4d81b59a1d.jpg   95m goes kinda fast for kinda cheap-80-fb_img_1459895305231_b21299433ed6770fc1533c9f7816130196984864.jpg  
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #64
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,075
Total Cats: 917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest95M View Post
Didn't realize how much I suck at pictures. So far the car is running and driving, to and from school. Tuning strategy is good afr's via ve analize, which I love btw. As well as a set of Det can headphones. Still getting boost creep which prevents a full wot throttle run. Cashed out on Dremel bits and will do a nice port job tomorrow. Stock clutch isn't loving it, so the beefy act clutch will be going in soon. Also new england goes from 65 degrees on april 3rd to 4 inches of snow on april 4th and 5th, god (or whatever you think it acceptable here) hates miatas. So next purchase will be some Kosei K8R's 15x8 from tire rack as well as a set of Kumho ecsta v720's in 205 for a summer tire, when ever it comes.
You want carbide bits for the dremel. Check my GB thread, sonofthehill, deezums, and nigelt's build threads for pictures on the type of porting you need to do. Basically you need to enlarge the wastegate hole a good amount.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #65
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,134
Total Cats: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest95M View Post
Also new england goes from 65 degrees on april 3rd to 4 inches of snow on april 4th and 5th, god (or whatever you think it acceptable here) hates miatas. for a summer tire, when ever it comes.


Ok I can't resist, as an SF native who survived 4 harsh New England winters and is happy to be back in sunny California.
The universe, unicorn, god or whatever loves miatas he just hates New England.
sonofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #66
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 423
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
You want carbide bits for the dremel. Check my GB thread, sonofthehill, deezums, and nigelt's build threads for pictures on the type of porting you need to do. Basically you need to enlarge the wastegate hole a good amount.
Thanks Lars, Ill check that out. BTW the waste gate on the turbo IIRC is 8 psi right?
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #67
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 423
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofthehill View Post


Ok I can't resist, as an SF native who survived 4 harsh New England winters and is happy to be back in sunny California.
The universe, unicorn, god or whatever loves miatas he just hates New England.
When the car was still NA, we had a 70 degree christmas, drove the damn thing a lot with the top down. Forecasts shows 60 tomorrow and then more snow next week
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:43 PM   #68
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 11,903
Total Cats: 487
Default

You don't need to port the waste gate, you need a new downpipe. Ew.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #69
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 423
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
You don't need to port the waste gate, you need a new downpipe. Ew.
its been redone since then, the welder was set up half assed that was a test fit, everything got redone and the vband set up was moved down. Grounded and had some real welds on it
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #70
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 114
Default

I think Curly might not understand how tight the shelf is there with that tacoburrito T3.

Still some pretty shitty looking bends, but I guess it fits...
deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #71
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 423
Total Cats: 21
Default

Like I said its since been redone, I used a similar bend just because of how tight it is. There is a blurred line on what impedes flow and what doesn't. What did yours look like? I could find any pictures on your build thread?
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #72
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,075
Total Cats: 917
Default

Yeah the DP definitely is not good, but even barring that the wastegate needs to be ported.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #73
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,075
Total Cats: 917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest95M View Post
Like I said its since been redone, I used a similar bend just because of how tight it is. There is a blurred line on what impedes flow and what doesn't. What did yours look like? I could find any pictures on your build thread?
1.6 tacotaco is different then the 1.8 tacotaco. 1.6 one is much easier to build a down pipe for. I bet deezums down pipe looks just about exactly as the ones in my setup.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #74
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 114
Default

Mine was a lot easier, the 1.6 manifold has the turbo like three inches forward of the 1.8 manifold, and it's up a lot higher, too.

It's why I'm having Lars make me a manifold for my 1.8, his manifolds are closer to the 1.6 tacotaco. I won't have to change my downpipe much at all.

But here's mine...

https://www.miataturbo.net/build-thr...3/#post1184331

https://www.miataturbo.net/build-thr...6/#post1214480
deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #75
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,867
Total Cats: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezums View Post
Mine was a lot easier, the 1.6 manifold has the turbo like three inches forward of the 1.8 manifold, and it's up a lot higher, too.

It's why I'm having Lars make me a manifold for my 1.8, his manifolds are closer to the 1.6 tacotaco. I won't have to change my downpipe much at all.

But here's mine...

https://www.miataturbo.net/build-thr...3/#post1184331

https://www.miataturbo.net/build-thr...6/#post1214480
If I had time I'd measure both for you. I have the 1.6 manifold (like yours) and the MK 1.8 manifold. Visually they look pretty damn close.
bahurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #76
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 423
Total Cats: 21
Default

still hitting over boost with a mild port job, will pull it this weekend and go at it again. What is the wastegate setting for these turbos?
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #77
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 114
Default

It depends on the preload you put on the wastegate can, or if it's binding...
deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #78
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 423
Total Cats: 21
Default

My other suspicions include the waste gate being higher than the rest, when I bought this I couldn't find a number. My waste gate reading of the comp housing of the turbo. Or something else. Preload should be zero to standard
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #79
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahurd View Post
If I had time I'd measure both for you. I have the 1.6 manifold (like yours) and the MK 1.8 manifold. Visually they look pretty damn close.
Thanks for the offer, but I'll manage to mod my downpipe to work without measuring. I've had Lars check for me too already

You should be able to set the wastegate preload loose enough to hear it rattle around at idle, if it still overboosts then you either need porting or a new wastegate can.

You could also use a bike pump to check it yourself if you wanted. It should be around 7-10 psi or so.
deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #80
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,134
Total Cats: 125
Default

A bike pump is a good tool for wastegate testing. I recently rigged one up to find the max and min duty cycle of my ebc solenoid. It was very easy to see on the gauge, 7% closed, 98% open @ 19.5hz for those who want to know.
sonofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pat's Ebay Turbo Compound Boost Build patsmx5 Build Threads 1300 05-25-2017 05:46 PM
Help on DIY turbo kit. [email protected] DIY Turbo Discussion 7 02-09-2016 08:00 PM
MSM Turbo Setup Wingman703 Miata parts for sale/trade 5 02-09-2016 02:12 PM
NC Clutch options to support Supercharged/Turbo power levels! FAB Fab9 Tuning - Miata Performance Parts 0 02-05-2016 02:38 PM
NEED TURBO PARTS MEGASQUIRT Greenyata WTB 7 01-27-2016 12:24 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 AM.