Cordycord's epic tube frame build - Page 58 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Cordycord's epic tube frame build

Old 07-28-2017, 02:48 PM
  #1141  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,834
Total Cats: 174
Default Catfish #1 update...Whiskers gets a rebuild

Boy it's been a while since updating this thread! I figured since the engine "dun blowed up" at Streets of Willow and was just put back together, it would be a good time to catch up. Believe it or not the original Catfish -- now dubbed "Whiskers" just like Flyin' Miata's Cat -- was born at the 2012 SEMA show. It took over two years after that debut to actually make all the parts needed to offer these cars for sale. Boy was that a lot of work...

Now we mainly enjoy the car, and use it for testing and updates. Since the engine went boom, I decided to do some upgrades to help it not grenade. Again. The upgrades include:

Completely new engine rebuild:
--polished crank with new bearings
--new con rod bearings
--new +1 SuperTech pistons with a lower compression. This allows a wider tuning window for the turbo
--new valve seals & gaskets
--decked case & head to ensure a flat surface

...and to ensure safety
--Innovate wide band O2 sensor with gauge
--new Flex fuel sensor wired into the MSPNP2 so we can run cooler E85 at the track
--new (old) temp sensor in the Mazda gauge that actually reads temperature--it's not a dummy gauge
--new (old) knock sensor mounted onto the 1997 block
--new custom coolant reroute with swirl pot. This will add more water volume as well as take help take the air out of the system. I'm really happy with this setup.

While the car was on block, the interior came out and was cleaned, and the one-way ball valve found on stock Miata fuel inlets was retrofitted to the Catfish. We've had too many problems with fuel spilling out the gas cap, so hopefully this will solve our issue.

What else? Well the car now runs on Ohlins suspension and the headlights have been upgraded to LED units. A custom Infrared tire temp sensor system was also installed. It reads the tire temperatures at the outside, center and inside of each tire. Testing this is next on the list. A master cutoff switch was added, as were USB 2.0A charging units, for phones and "stuff".
Our own adjustable cam gears and some new Bosch 1000cc injectors were also added, just because. If you haven't seen the car lately, front canards were added (hence the name Whiskers) as well as our own design stainless steel hood vents.

All in all, the car has never been in better shape. Next up may just be a new rear wing setup.

Until then, here are some recent pictures of the changes.


1000cc Bosch injectors will help with the larger volume of fuel that will be used once the car is tuned for E85.
Properly installed, after being installed backwards on the first try.
That's the stock ball valve that is on all Miatas. It's hiding in the galvanized steel gas inlet elbow.
Whiskers! Carbon canards help manage the air up front.
Heat and air pressure get sucked out of the vents at speed
Fun but dusty Qualcomm.
The NA8 engine uses dual adjustable cam gears. The new gears in stock have the sensors needed for the NB8.
The Swirl Pot is the highest point of the engine. It's where air bubbles go to die.
Hot water from the back of the block flows down to the radiator.
cordycord is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 03:34 PM
  #1142  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 705
Total Cats: 19
Default

Originally Posted by cordycord View Post
Boy it's been a while since updating this thread! I figured since the engine "dun blowed up" at Streets of Willow and was just put back together, it would be a good time to catch up. Believe it or not the original Catfish -- now dubbed "Whiskers" just like Flyin' Miata's Cat -- was born at the 2012 SEMA show. It took over two years after that debut to actually make all the parts needed to offer these cars for sale. Boy was that a lot of work...

Now we mainly enjoy the car, and use it for testing and updates. Since the engine went boom, I decided to do some upgrades to help it not grenade. Again. The upgrades include:

Completely new engine rebuild:
--polished crank with new bearings
--new con rod bearings
--new +1 SuperTech pistons with a lower compression. This allows a wider tuning window for the turbo
--new valve seals & gaskets
--decked case & head to ensure a flat surface

...and to ensure safety
--Innovate wide band O2 sensor with gauge
--new Flex fuel sensor wired into the MSPNP2 so we can run cooler E85 at the track
--new (old) temp sensor in the Mazda gauge that actually reads temperature--it's not a dummy gauge
--new (old) knock sensor mounted onto the 1997 block
--new custom coolant reroute with swirl pot. This will add more water volume as well as take help take the air out of the system. I'm really happy with this setup.

While the car was on block, the interior came out and was cleaned, and the one-way ball valve found on stock Miata fuel inlets was retrofitted to the Catfish. We've had too many problems with fuel spilling out the gas cap, so hopefully this will solve our issue.

What else? Well the car now runs on Ohlins suspension and the headlights have been upgraded to LED units. A custom Infrared tire temp sensor system was also installed. It reads the tire temperatures at the outside, center and inside of each tire. Testing this is next on the list. A master cutoff switch was added, as were USB 2.0A charging units, for phones and "stuff".
Our own adjustable cam gears and some new Bosch 1000cc injectors were also added, just because. If you haven't seen the car lately, front canards were added (hence the name Whiskers) as well as our own design stainless steel hood vents.

All in all, the car has never been in better shape. Next up may just be a new rear wing setup.

Until then, here are some recent pictures of the changes.


1000cc Bosch injectors will help with the larger volume of fuel that will be used once the car is tuned for E85.
Properly installed, after being installed backwards on the first try.
That's the stock ball valve that is on all Miatas. It's hiding in the galvanized steel gas inlet elbow.
Whiskers! Carbon canards help manage the air up front.
Heat and air pressure get sucked out of the vents at speed
Fun but dusty Qualcomm.
The NA8 engine uses dual adjustable cam gears. The new gears in stock have the sensors needed for the NB8.
The Swirl Pot is the highest point of the engine. It's where air bubbles go to die.
Hot water from the back of the block flows down to the radiator.

glad to see the car is still rockin'

Pics are broke doe.

Hey guess whos looking to get back in a miata?
golftdibrad is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 04:54 PM
  #1143  
VladiTuned
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,052
Total Cats: 3,104
Default

Pics work. Car looks glorious. How much power on corn juice?
18psi is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 05:11 PM
  #1144  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 705
Total Cats: 19
Default

Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Pics work. Car looks glorious. How much power on corn juice?
******* work internet....
golftdibrad is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 05:28 PM
  #1145  
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 75,028
Total Cats: 2,109
Default

would daily.
Braineack is offline  
Old 08-03-2017, 08:23 PM
  #1146  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 51
Total Cats: 12
Default

Daaaang epic build thread. Worth the hour it took to catch up.
Verwah is offline  
Old 08-26-2017, 03:46 PM
  #1147  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,834
Total Cats: 174
Default

This is just something that everyone needs in their electrical supplies. It just works. Solder seal heat shrink used to be available by mil-spec suppliers only, but now you can get is on eBay and Amazon. The low temp solder circle in the middle melts and perfectly solders two wires, while simultaneously waterproofing the connection. The entire assembly ends up flexible and very small. Magic.

cordycord is offline  
Old 09-16-2017, 01:31 AM
  #1148  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,834
Total Cats: 174
Default New Rear Wing Progress

One item that's always been on the list of to do's is a proper rear wing. We finally had a window of time to work on it and I think we came up with a pretty good solution.

Because the rear bumper is very near the license plate, the decision was made to build the wing spars from the back instead of through the rear deck. Some custom supports and triangulation is being added that could support a Sumo wrestler so this wing won't cause any structural problems.

The wing itself is 48" wide. That's a good size for downforce, and will be widened to the full width of the vehicle for track-only cars. The plan is to sneak up on the best width.

Julien's Catfish is the first wing recipient. He'll be able to fully test the wing next month at Laguna Seca, and we're all really excited to do a little testing.

Tested via CAD first
These pictures show the new under-wing configuration and the CFR side panels
Aluminum spars with internal carbon fiber reinforcements.
This setup gives zero to 12 degrees of adjustment in 2 degree increments. This is good for first tests.
Raw aluminum will be replaced with powder coated satin black shortly.
Zero degrees
12 degrees
Test fit with APR end plates
The goal is a good street/track setup.
cordycord is offline  
Old 09-16-2017, 07:35 AM
  #1149  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,492
Total Cats: 47
Default

Just when I thought a Catfish couldn't get any cooler...
Chilicharger665 is offline  
Old 09-16-2017, 12:41 PM
  #1150  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 147
Total Cats: 2
Default

That's a cool license plate frame!
vortexblue is offline  
Old 09-16-2017, 06:47 PM
  #1151  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,834
Total Cats: 174
Default

Originally Posted by vortexblue View Post
That's a cool license plate frame!
RIGHT?! That "license plate frame" connects through the bodywork to some steel bracketry and a reinforced bumper in order for it to handle the added stress from the wing.

Support bars tie into the rear subassembly.
Bumper & bracket installed.
cordycord is offline  
Old 09-17-2017, 12:20 AM
  #1152  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (8)
 
nigelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Carmel Valley, CA
Posts: 1,063
Total Cats: 154
Default

So awesome. My longer-term plan is to rip off my busted *** chassis and drop a Catfish on it. I love the new design. My car was actually originally going to be a Catfish donor and the owner wanted an MSM as a donor instead so I snagged it and rebuilt it (for now).

What model of injectors are those?
__________________
FlowForce 380 |640| 960 Injectors - goflowforce.com
nigelt is offline  
Old 09-24-2017, 02:41 AM
  #1153  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,834
Total Cats: 174
Default

Originally Posted by nigelt View Post
So awesome. My longer-term plan is to rip off my busted *** chassis and drop a Catfish on it. I love the new design. My car was actually originally going to be a Catfish donor and the owner wanted an MSM as a donor instead so I snagged it and rebuilt it (for now).

What model of injectors are those?
Bosch 1000cc. They came with pigtail connectors for a plug n' play fit, but we just cut those off and connected them directly. Fair warning--1000cc injectors are so loud that they sound like a hydraulic lifter is bad.
cordycord is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
nbdooey
Miata parts for sale/trade
9
08-30-2017 10:50 PM
Corky Bell
Prefabbed Turbo Kits
18
11-22-2016 10:01 PM
LucaCarMods
Build Threads
11
02-14-2016 07:13 AM
Rick02R
WTB
3
01-03-2016 08:18 PM
shooterschmidty
Engine Performance
8
09-30-2015 11:28 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cordycord's epic tube frame build


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.