Big gun-rights win in TEXAS... Open Carry and Campus Carry - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #61
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
calteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 311
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
My problem with open carrying has a lot less to do with unwanted attention during mundane everyday life but with the idea that if I am in a confrontation of any kind the existence of a firearm in plain sight on my body will likely serve no other purpose than to escalate the situation. It also, in my opinion, offers a tactical disadvantage. Although you can generally draw faster with an open carry and aggressor can also access your gun more easily and knows that you have it and could more easily anticipate its use. It just seems to offer no real benefit to broadcast that I have a gun on my person.
All of this. I suspect it'll only take a few months for all the neckbeards to get OC out of their system. I feel bad for all the 911 operators in TX during the first week of 2016....
calteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #62
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calteg View Post
I feel bad for all the 911 operators in TX during the first week of 2016....
why?

it should go like this:

911: 9-11 what's your emergancy?

caller: there's a guy in TX with a gun on the outside of the pants instead of the inside.

911: is he brandishing it?

caller: no he's peacefully minding his own business.

911: please call us after a crime has been commited so we can show up and shoot a dog later or attack some girls in bikinis.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #63
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
calteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 311
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
Anyways... where Zimmerman made his mistake was in talking to the police. If he had simply said "I was attacked, he was trying to kill me, and I fired in self defense... and now I'd like some medical attention for my wounds, but don't want to say anything else until tomorrow after I've talked with a lawyer... I'm sure you police officers understand"... then there would have been zero story.
This part is huge, bears repeating, and extends to the 911 call you make. The more media that you provide (911 call, video footage, transcript of your statement to police), the more likely that the story will get sensationalized, or that you will get portrayed as a trigger happy nutjob.

After a shooting, the police are there in an investigative capacity. They are not your friend, they are not your advocate. Be respectful, say as little as possible, get your lawyer ASAP.
calteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #64
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
calteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 311
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
why?

it should go like this:

911: 9-11 what's your emergancy?

caller: there's a guy in TX with a gun on the outside of the pants instead of the inside.

911: is he brandishing it?

caller: no he's peacefully minding his own business.

911: please call us after a crime has been commited so we can show up and shoot a dog later or attack some girls in bikinis.
You're right, it should go like that. But instead it will be:
"OMGWTFBBQ, there's a man in the mall with a gun!!! I have my child and he's walking around with a GUN! GUNGUNGGUNGUNGUNGNGUNGUNGUNGUGNUGNGUN!"

*cue SWAT team*
calteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #65
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 125
Total Cats: 10
Default

Bunch of cowboys, relying on the false sense of security that showing your dick, err, gun I mean, in public brings piece of mind to all of those in close proximity. It's laughable, frankly. When you glorify something so adamantly, you covet it; you lose the ability to think objectively about that very object or right, and that's dangerous for the collective world; you know, the world we all live in.

So the obvious argument here is that by showing you're armed, people feel safer. Well, guess what? YOU feel safer, not others. At this point in time, post Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, Oikos, UC, Northern Illinois, etc, I highly ******* doubt that people feel safer when they see a gun on campus. Again, take a second to not be a selfish dummy, and realize that you feeling safer because STRAPPED, is wayyy different than other people feeling safe. It's a magnificent example of how sometimes collectivism needs to be considered over individualism. By all means, go home and pretend to be Yosemite Sam in your own home, but don't assume that everyone is on your level.

Here's who supports this nonsense with reckless abandon:

The same people who-

1) Foam at the mouth when they feel the 2nd Ammendment is being threatened, when in reality, a ******* 250 year old document doesn't quite apply as literally as it once did, now does it?

2) Think Big Brother is going to come to their homes, and seize their legally purchased firearms.

3) Feel that so long as they have 30 round mags and assault style rifles, that they can protect themselves from the "tyranny" of the Govt; A Govt who is equipped with so many advanced weapons, that it could wipe you out before you even knew they were coming. But yeah, your pea shooter will stop 'em dead...

4) Don't recognize the seemingly obvious fact that they themselves no longer comprise a "well regulated Militia", which is EXACTLY what the National Guard is today in 2015.

All of this from a gun owner, living in a generally anti-gun state. I own and shoot, but find the unapologetic obtusity of those involved in the pro-everything gun related debate, hilarious and scary all at once.
TheBigChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #66
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigChill View Post
3) Feel that so long as they have 30 round mags and assault style rifles, that they can protect themselves from the "tyranny" of the Govt; A Govt who is equipped with so many advanced weapons, that it could wipe you out before you even knew they were coming. But yeah, your pea shooter will stop 'em dead...
This argument is bad and you should feel bad.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #67
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,805
Total Cats: 494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigChill View Post
So the obvious argument here is that by showing you're armed, people feel safer. Well, guess what? YOU feel safer, not others. At this point in time, post Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, Oikos, UC, Northern Illinois, etc, I highly ******* doubt that people feel safer when they see a gun on campus.
Nobody is talking about open carry on campus. The law is concealed carry only.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #68
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marylandistan
Posts: 841
Total Cats: 44
Default

#2....Right, cause gun confiscations have never happened in our history.
/sarcasm
stratosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #69
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 125
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
This argument is bad and you should feel bad.
The argument in general is fairly ridiculous, yet, what I said is one of the most commonly used justifications for those who are outwardly against things like the Safe Act: FIGHT'N TYRANNY.


Quote:
Nobody is talking about open carry on campus. The law is concealed carry only.
Well, then that's far more reasonable, haha. So long as crazy ******** don't keep legally buying guns, solely because they lack a criminal record yet have manage to fly under the radar in regards to their psychological issues. Though, that's a health care issue for a different thread
TheBigChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #70
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,461
Total Cats: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigChill View Post
Bunch of cowboys, relying on the false sense of security that showing your dick, err, gun I mean, in public brings piece of mind to all of those in close proximity. It's laughable, frankly. When you glorify something so adamantly, you covet it; you lose the ability to think objectively about that very object or right, and that's dangerous for the collective world; you know, the world we all live in.

So the obvious argument here is that by showing you're armed, people feel safer. Well, guess what? YOU feel safer, not others. At this point in time, post Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, Oikos, UC, Northern Illinois, etc, I highly ******* doubt that people feel safer when they see a gun on campus. Again, take a second to not be a selfish dummy, and realize that you feeling safer because STRAPPED, is wayyy different than other people feeling safe. It's a magnificent example of how sometimes collectivism needs to be considered over individualism. By all means, go home and pretend to be Yosemite Sam in your own home, but don't assume that everyone is on your level.

Here's who supports this nonsense with reckless abandon:

The same people who-

1) Foam at the mouth when they feel the 2nd Ammendment is being threatened, when in reality, a ******* 250 year old document doesn't quite apply as literally as it once did, now does it?

2) Think Big Brother is going to come to their homes, and seize their legally purchased firearms.

3) Feel that so long as they have 30 round mags and assault style rifles, that they can protect themselves from the "tyranny" of the Govt; A Govt who is equipped with so many advanced weapons, that it could wipe you out before you even knew they were coming. But yeah, your pea shooter will stop 'em dead...

4) Don't recognize the seemingly obvious fact that they themselves no longer comprise a "well regulated Militia", which is EXACTLY what the National Guard is today in 2015.

All of this from a gun owner, living in a generally anti-gun state. I own and shoot, but find the unapologetic obtusity of those involved in the pro-everything gun related debate, hilarious and scary all at once.
Stay the **** in your blue state and enjoy your liberal paradise.
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #71
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
dangerous for the collective world; you know, the world we all live in.
I don't take orders from the NWO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigChill View Post
1) Foam at the mouth when they feel the 2nd Ammendment is being threatened, when in reality, a ******* 250 year old document doesn't quite apply as literally as it once did, now does it?
I wanted to respond to this, but you're foaming from the mouth and it's hard to look at.

Quote:
2) Think Big Brother is going to come to their homes, and seize their legally purchased firearms.
Katrina.

Quote:
3) Feel that so long as they have 30 round mags and assault style rifles, that they can protect themselves from the "tyranny" of the Govt; A Govt who is equipped with so many advanced weapons, that it could wipe you out before you even knew they were coming. But yeah, your pea shooter will stop 'em dead...



sounds like we need bigger guns.


Quote:
4) Don't recognize the seemingly obvious fact that they themselves no longer comprise a "well regulated Militia", which is EXACTLY what the National Guard is today in 2015.
You really need to stop foaming at the mouth when the most important document in Human history doesn't quite apply as literally as it once did.


All of this from a non-gun owner, living in a generally pro-gun state.
Attached Thumbnails
Big gun-rights win in TEXAS... Open Carry and Campus Carry-80-illustrated_guide_to_gun_control_c24e0d89e1c269866d9edec9d4ab50f0725a3d8d.png  

Last edited by Braineack; 06-18-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #72
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 125
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosteve View Post
#2....Right, cause gun confiscations have never happened in our history.
/sarcasm

Have they happened on a mass scale? A scale that warrants such fear? Let me help: No, they haven't.

Sure, you could pick your favorite Libertarian or NRA sponsered"news" site, and piece together something that on the surface looks vaguely like unjustified gun confiscation.
TheBigChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #73
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 125
Total Cats: 10
Default

And gun rights can totally be summed up by an illustration about sharing cake. Great job, much win.

I'm sorry you've been such a victim.
TheBigChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #74
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigChill View Post
The argument in general is fairly ridiculous, yet, what I said is one of the most commonly used justifications for those who are outwardly against things like the Safe Act: FIGHT'N TYRANNY.
No, I'm saying your argument is bad.

If we're going to entertain the idea of a violent conflict between the US Government and the general population, then we should look at analogous conflicts around the world and in history.

And what do we find? Unless the military leaders are absolutely 100% committed to victory no matter the cost, including inflicting massive and wholesale carnage on the civilian population, then a determined civilian population with light arms can be a much bigger problem than expected. Even in rebellions and insurgencies where the military is willing to wipe out civilians, the battle is much tougher than expected. In the US, where you'd likely have a whole lot of soldiers who may question their orders to attack the general population?

The civilian side doesn't have to seek a traditional military victory, it only has to make itself enough of a nuisance to convince the military/government leaders that a more peaceable solution should be pursued.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #75
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigChill View Post
And gun rights can totally be summed up by an illustration about sharing cake. Great job, much win.

I'm sorry you've been such a victim.
Your white guilt isn't helping you.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #76
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 125
Total Cats: 10
Default

Oh, absolutely. It's TOTALLY reasonable to think that you owning one, three, or five assault rifles allows you to defend yourself against arguably the most powerful military in the world.

A nuisance is exactly what you'd be, and dealt with as such.

More important than any of your points (some admittedly valid) is the fearfulness that this hypothetical disarmament is nearing, and it's threat warrants the actions and attitudes I touched on earlier. Let's be honest, it's about being "Pro-Me". There's an inherent air of selfishness to this side of the debate, and selfishness in a society where cooperation is paramount does nothing positive. That's where we're at.

This debate and this debate alone is the absolute worst in terms of each side delivering only cherry picked and self-serving, and generally anecdotal points. People search for only what already suits them, and again, there needs to be some objectivity here.
TheBigChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #77
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marylandistan
Posts: 841
Total Cats: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigChill View Post
Have they happened on a mass scale? A scale that warrants such fear? Let me help: No, they haven't.

Sure, you could pick your favorite Libertarian or NRA sponsered"news" site, and piece together something that on the surface looks vaguely like unjustified gun confiscation.
1775.....Massachusetts governor ordered the confiscation of firearms in an attempt to thwart a rebellion.

1861....pres Lincoln ordered federal troops to confiscate firearms from civilians (called the confiscation act).

1890... at the height of the American indian relocation, the Lakota people were disarmed. One of those decided he would not disarm. He was deaf. Anyways, most of the tribe were massacred so no big deal. Should have chosen their ethnicity better.

1941.....pres Roosevelt ordered the mass confiscation of firearms from Americans with a particular ethnicity. No big deal as they eventually put the same thousands in concentration camps. Its all good though, it was deemed a "perceived threat."
stratosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #78
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Holy **** you're a dumbass. It's not me with 5 rifles, it's several hundred thousand men with rifles who will fight rather than hand them over, and a government that gets to decide if it's really willing to engage in all out war with a homegrown insurgency.


EDIT: Just to be clear, that's directed at Aram.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:00 PM   #79
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 125
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Your white guilt isn't helping you.
Oh ****, I didn't see your post count. You're probably right.
TheBigChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #80
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,805
Total Cats: 494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigChill View Post
Well, then that's far more reasonable, haha. So long as crazy ******** don't keep legally buying guns, solely because they lack a criminal record yet have manage to fly under the radar in regards to their psychological issues. Though, that's a health care issue for a different thread
That's a legitimate concern. Unfortunately, the ACLU fought hard and won to keep mental health care providers from referring dangerous individuals to NICS.

It's hard to say if it would have prevented any mass shootings, and it may have led to abuse by anti-gun physicians, but it's now basically a moot point.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
New M62 Miata owner Pist0n Meet and Greet 4 10-01-2015 09:18 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 AM.