Minimum Wage - Should It Be Raised? How Far? - Page 10 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

View Poll Results: Should the Federal Minimum Wage be Raised?
No, those jobs are for teenagers and 2nd incomes. 51 66.23%
Yes, to about $10/Hr. 12 15.58%
Yes, to about $15/Hr. 11 14.29%
Yes, to $_____/Hr. 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2015, 11:20 AM   #181
curiouser and curiouser
iTrader: (3)
 
dieselmiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Volo, IL
Posts: 1,247
Total Cats: 139
Default

What's really funny is people trying to convince themselves that these kiosks won't be replacing people even if wages remain the same.
dieselmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #182
Boost Czar
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 71,516
Total Cats: 1,566
Default

My mcdonalds had one of these in place when I was in HS.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #183
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,521
Total Cats: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmiata View Post
What's really funny is people trying to convince themselves that these kiosks won't be replacing people even if wages remain the same.
It's hard to say that they will or would have entirely replaced all human cashiers. Self-checkout stations have been the de-facto norm in supermarkets, certain big-box stores (Walmart, Home Depot, etc), CVS, etc., for many years and yet in most of these, self-checkout stands constitute maybe one-quarter to one-third of the total checkout capacity (although, at any given time, they usually constitute 50-75% of the active checkout capacity.

No doubt, however, that a doubling of wage costs will incentiveize store owners to accelerate the transition to kiosk-based ordering.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #184
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 14,396
Total Cats: 1,252
Default

I would prefer to use the kiosk for fast food if it is necessary to eat fast food. I'd frankly rather not have some of those people preparing the food touch it either. For highly processed foods I'm sure the machine will generate a better and more consistent product.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #185
Boost Czar
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 71,516
Total Cats: 1,566
Default

at least there's a better chance a machine can line the patty up with the bun...
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #186
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,521
Total Cats: 1,751
Default

This really cannot happen quickly enough.

A few years ago, I was at a brand-new McDonald's in Peebles, OH (tiny-*** little down on the outskirts of nothing) and noticed that the soft-drinks were being prepared automatically. The drink orders went directly from the POS into a machine wherein a robot arm grabbed a cup and dropped it into a carousel, which then passed it beneath a chute which dispensed ice, then carried it to a fountain which dispensed the drink, before exiting the other side. A human then placed a lid onto the drink and handed it to the customer.

Doing sandwich-assembly will no doubt take a little longer to achieve, but I'm sure we'll get there.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #187
Boost Czar
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 71,516
Total Cats: 1,566
Default

have you never been to sheetz?

almost all their food products have been automated (ordering). I'm honestly surprised more arent like it.

but there should be a line for people 50yo and older... because i don't got all ******* day.

my movie theater is same way, typically about 10 kiosks available to get tickets from, but for some reason people still wait in a line to spend 10 times as long to talk to a real human.


also, when all places finally do this, and cut tons of jobs, the prices still wont go down...
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #188
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,521
Total Cats: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
have you never been to sheetz?
Never even heard of it. I don't really do Hip-Hop dining.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
but there should be a line for people 50yo and older... because i don't got all ******* day.
That's one very large reason that human checkout stands remain in operation in grocery stores, WalMart and so on, and why I don't see even fast food restaurants ever going 100% human-free.

At Terminal 5 of JFK Airport, there's a very nice food court in the center. It contains a half-dozen or so counter-service restaurants (a Cheesesteak place, a burger place, a Chinese place, etc.) The ordering process at each of these is 100% kiosk-based; no humans available to take orders. On more than one occasion, I've been stuck behind people who simply couldn't grasp the concept of how to operate the ordering system. And not all of them were old- quite a few simply appeared to be naturally feebleminded.

Sidebar: I'm honestly a tad surprised that this system is permitted to be in place, as I don't recall there being any ADA-compliant accordance for blind people. It was visual-only, with no tactile cues anywhere.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:04 PM   #189
Boost Czar
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 71,516
Total Cats: 1,566
Default

its a gas station...
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #190
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 34,401
Total Cats: 2,249
Default

I take my sheetz at home
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #191
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,521
Total Cats: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
its a gas station...
Is it common to dine at Hip-Hop gas stations in Virginia?
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #192
Boost Czar
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 71,516
Total Cats: 1,566
Default

It's more of a PA company...slowly working the take over the world. It's very similar to Wawa





you can even order from the pump and have it ready once you're done.

Attached Thumbnails
Minimum Wage - Should It Be Raised? How Far?-80-o_c78631cfbff4a0eafe1db78251a7de2467522bc5.jpg   Minimum Wage - Should It Be Raised? How Far?-80-cd368_60_ret_petroleum_convenience_retail_sheetz_person_ouside_gas_station_bdecdb524b6131f44a.jpg  
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #193
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,684
Total Cats: 238
Default

100% Guaranteed - You'll get the sheetz fast, before your fuel pump stops
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #194
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,521
Total Cats: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
It's more of a PA company...slowly working the take over the world. It's very similar to Wawa

you can even order from the pump and have it ready once you're done.
Pennsylginia is weird.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #195
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 34,401
Total Cats: 2,249
Default

I'll take crappy stations that carry e85 over fancy stations that don't all day urry day
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #196
Boost Czar
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 71,516
Total Cats: 1,566
Default

dont be jealous of dat 93.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #197
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,110
Total Cats: 185
Default

Federal minimum wage should be eliminated and replaced with state only minimum wages coupled with a government subsidy on labor paid at a flat rate per hour for up to 40 hours of work per week. The income from this subsidy should be raised by taxing "capital profits", which is a fancy term that I use to describe the total taxable profits that a business makes less an additional 25% of labor compensation costs. (An incentive for paying for labor.) For purposes of defining the additional 25%, any individual's labor cost is maxed out at 6 to 10 times the median compensation paid by that company (to eliminate "we paid our CEO 32.6 million last year, and only made $35.50 in profits). Only labor worked for a profitable company is eligible for the subsidy. The subsidy would aim for a target inflation-adjusted household income of a time period immediately preceeding a historical time of plentiful bounty, with the ultimate goal of returning the average household to single-income earner status which strengthens the family unit and provides an economic benefit to "stay at home mom/dad" ultimately resulting in lower crime and drug abuse rates, and higher societal success.

The only way this works is if we get rid of that ******* "free trade" bullshit and institute import taxes like the rest of the modern world.

As an added bonus, we can significantly reduce or even nearly eliminate welfare programs with the subsidy. The demand for labor immediately goes up which increases the rates that employers are willing to pay for that labor. Skilled people get hired into non-fast-food work so that unskilled people can get jobs. Higher income equates to higher spending which provides a monetary benefit to those businesses paying capitol profits tax. Individuals still incapable of working can be cared for by the head of household who makes enough money to put food on the table and a roof over his/her family. Federal income taxes are decreased by the reduction in welfare costs.

At the individual level, there is no longer an economic incentive to stay home and collect that gubmint cheese. Instead, an incentive for putting in 40 hours/week exists in the form of the paycheck that an employer is paying you to help them make a profit for their business, and the subsidy that the government is paying you to go to work. In the current system, that subsidy is paid instead for you to sit at home or deal crack, meth, and heroin. (Because the wages you earn from dealing crack, meth, and heroin are generally not reported, and therefore they do not reduce the government's "sit on your ***" subsidy).

The end.
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 AM   #198
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,433
Total Cats: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
Federal minimum wage should be eliminated and replaced with state only minimum wages coupled with a government subsidy on labor paid at a flat rate per hour for up to 40 hours of work per week. The income from this subsidy should be raised by taxing "capital profits", which is a fancy term that I use to describe the total taxable profits that a business makes less an additional 25% of labor compensation costs. (An incentive for paying for labor.) For purposes of defining the additional 25%, any individual's labor cost is maxed out at 6 to 10 times the median compensation paid by that company (to eliminate "we paid our CEO 32.6 million last year, and only made $35.50 in profits). Only labor worked for a profitable company is eligible for the subsidy. The subsidy would aim for a target inflation-adjusted household income of a time period immediately preceeding a historical time of plentiful bounty, with the ultimate goal of returning the average household to single-income earner status which strengthens the family unit and provides an economic benefit to "stay at home mom/dad" ultimately resulting in lower crime and drug abuse rates, and higher societal success.

The only way this works is if we get rid of that ******* "free trade" bullshit and institute import taxes like the rest of the modern world.

As an added bonus, we can significantly reduce or even nearly eliminate welfare programs with the subsidy. The demand for labor immediately goes up which increases the rates that employers are willing to pay for that labor. Skilled people get hired into non-fast-food work so that unskilled people can get jobs. Higher income equates to higher spending which provides a monetary benefit to those businesses paying capitol profits tax. Individuals still incapable of working can be cared for by the head of household who makes enough money to put food on the table and a roof over his/her family. Federal income taxes are decreased by the reduction in welfare costs.

At the individual level, there is no longer an economic incentive to stay home and collect that gubmint cheese. Instead, an incentive for putting in 40 hours/week exists in the form of the paycheck that an employer is paying you to help them make a profit for their business, and the subsidy that the government is paying you to go to work. In the current system, that subsidy is paid instead for you to sit at home or deal crack, meth, and heroin. (Because the wages you earn from dealing crack, meth, and heroin are generally not reported, and therefore they do not reduce the government's "sit on your ***" subsidy).

The end.
I want some preliminary numbers run on this assuming no changes from current business behavior (which is unlikely).
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #199
Elite Member
 
DNMakinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seneca, SC
Posts: 2,236
Total Cats: 210
Default

<p>During the industrial revolution in England, in the 1800's, workers rioted and destroyed machines that were &quot;takin' their jobs.&quot; 100+ years later, same fears over robots. Truth is, the size of the pie is not fixed. Economies can, and do,&nbsp;grow.&nbsp;</p>
DNMakinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #200
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
dont be jealous of dat 93.
My e85 station makes boss subs ordered at the pump, zarco 66 is on the ball



Dunno how consistent the e85 is yet, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Minimum Wage - Should It Be Raised? How Far?-siris-tablet-web.jpg  
deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 12:25 PM
High-lift cams, SUB, new valve job = lifter tick? Der_Idiot Engine Performance 14 09-16-2015 09:30 PM
Interpreting Deatchwerks Dead Times from Battery Wizard compuw22c MEGAsquirt 0 09-14-2015 06:08 PM
WTB parts for HPDE car Voltwings WTB 5 09-11-2015 08:23 AM
ME221 Now has Autotune and Long Term Fuel Trim Tables Motorsport-Electronics ECUs and Tuning 0 09-05-2015 08:02 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 PM.