ROFL - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #121
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morrison, CO
Posts: 472
Total Cats: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
It's not a higher quality of living. It's the same. I determine my quality of life by how i treat myself, and what i can afford to do. If wages go up solely to combat higher COST of living, then quality of living doesn't change. This isn't a hard concept.




What kids? Part of why my quality of living is so high is because i don't (and won't) have kids.


I have 6 vehicles right now. I could blow the motor spectacularly in any one of them and just laugh.

Because DINK.
I'm talking in general terms and if you want I can google a shitload of color coded maps to show you exactly how shitty your life is (talking generally again).

For starters, everyone in your state is an obese lardass, and I don't have to look at them so that makes my quality of life better.
vitamin j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #122
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitamin j View Post
Giving up so soon? Damn, after you tried to take me apart line by line I thought you'd at least keep the effort up.
but the underground railroad and speakeasys.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #123
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morrison, CO
Posts: 472
Total Cats: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
Why can't they lower the min wage?



You're mistaken. Higher cost of living (which is literally a higher cost of basic necessities) translates to lower quality of living.

If I have to pay more for my 200 square foot apartment - because the land value is ridiculously high - because other people who make more money than I do are willing to pay a large sum of money for the 200 square foot apartment that I want to live in - then I can't afford the other things that might contribute to a higher "quality of life".
Same reason states can't vote to stop paying taxes.

Boo hoo, make more money. Higher quality of life is based on the average person, not yours dumby.
vitamin j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #124
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Ban unpaid internships and raise minimum wage to $1000 per hour for incredible quality of life!
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #125
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morrison, CO
Posts: 472
Total Cats: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Because the strong job markets in San Francisco and Denver are a result of the minimum wage levels.
Because the poverty of Mississippi is the result of the Federal min wage
vitamin j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #126
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitamin j View Post
Because the poverty of Mississippi is the result of the Federal min wage
Judging by the number of laborers here who can only find cash (illegal) jobs for less than minimum wage, I'd say yeah, it's a factor.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #127
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morrison, CO
Posts: 472
Total Cats: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Judging by the number of laborers here who can only find cash (illegal) jobs for less than minimum wage, I'd say yeah, it's a factor.
Cuz you have no businesses and no economy because everyone who was smart and able got the **** out. A higher min wage won't fix MS, but it couldn't possibly hurt. I mean, what's going to be different for your state if the min wage was doubled? People would still be getting paid under the table for whatever they are now.
vitamin j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #128
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,669
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitamin j View Post
Why is the unemployment level in San Fran lower than the US average?
Because it is very expensive to live there. Unemployed people either gain employment quickly or are forced to leave.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #129
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitamin j View Post
Cuz you have no businesses and no economy because everyone who was smart and able got the **** out. A higher min wage won't fix MS, but it couldn't possibly hurt. I mean, what's going to be different for your state if the min wage was doubled? People would still be getting paid under the table for whatever they are now.
What could it hurt? It would hurt all the people who are worth between $7.25 and $15 an hour. Some of them could probably find illegal jobs, assuming they are willing to do manual labor, but not all of them.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #130
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,776
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitamin j View Post
Cuz you have no businesses and no economy because everyone who was smart and able got the **** out. A higher min wage won't fix MS, but it couldn't possibly hurt. I mean, what's going to be different for your state if the min wage was doubled? People would still be getting paid under the table for whatever they are now.
Because for every action there is an equal or greater eggplant!
Attached Thumbnails
ROFL-vt7fomm.jpg  
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #131
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Chicago
Posts: 701
Total Cats: 26
Default

American's as a whole need to get off their **** attitude of I'm owed things. No one is going to help you, make your own way. If you don't like your current situation, change it. Plain and simple. Minimum wage jobs should only be a stepping stone to something better or something to float you while you start over.
Mazduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #132
Junior Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 285
Total Cats: 7
Default

I'm glad this thread took off like it has. I have never been able to understand why people think raising the minimum wage helps any one. The bottom is still the bottom. You just **** every one who is slightly above you in terms of income. The further someones hourly income is away from the minimum the less it will effect them.

Personally, I am pretty fresh out of school, make just over $40 dollars an hour base pay as a consulting engineer. I'd be displeased if the minimum wage was raised nearly double because it is almost certain my pay raise would not be of equal percent if at all.

It is not the amount of money you make that really determines your quality of life, it is the relative amount to some fixed point. Most likely the bottom since the top is a moving target and differs by location. At least that is how I see it. The minimum wage worker does not gain any buying power by having an across the board mandated pay raise.
iantboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #133
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,476
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post



increase the min wage.
I can say I’ve lived in several different states on both sides of this chart. And have formed my own biased and you might say bigoted opinion from my experiences of the cultural differences.

The ones on the right side tend to be full of poor and ignorant people and lots of Bigots. The states tend to have more unemployment and working Slackers people with little motivation to improve themselves. The jump from poverty in those states to becoming a part of the middle class is a much greater effort. The regional culture tends to segregate society by class and ethnicity much more heavily and put up barriers to social mobility.

The states on the left are much more pleasant to live in seems to be fewer stupid people, better public education, higher rates of employment, the list goes on. Oregon Is somewhat of an outlier. it goes from one extreme like forcing Gas stations to hire people to pump your gas. Yes you can’t even fill up your car yourself in Oregon. Funny thing is the price of gas is cheaper in Oregon than Washington or California even though they have to pay a high school kid Oregon’s minimum wage of $8.95 an hour to pump it. Oregon gets almost all its revenue from a progressive income tax No state sales tax. I would think it has to have one of the most progressive tax structures of all the states, another so called job killer by the right wing. The other thing that is fascinating is that Oregon seems to be a magnate for young well educated professionals to go to be under employed especially around Portland. Quality of their social living environment over money. Modern Hippy freaks. Sure is a nice state however, Well maintained roads and transportation infrastructure, preservation of environment etc.

Washington State Minimum Wage $9.19, hasn’t crashed the states economy, rich people still live here, unemployment well below the national average and it sure would be nice if the 50% extra our states workers pay in federal tax dollars they dont get back wasn’t going to subsidize low wage workers in those other fucktard conservative run states.
Attached Thumbnails
ROFL-minimum_wage_jobs_state_min_wage_laws.png  

Last edited by bbundy; 08-30-2013 at 06:41 PM.
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #134
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Raising min wage = buying votes.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #135
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,669
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
Raising min wage = buying votes with other people's money.
ftfy.

Bob, I'm an Army brat who moved around every two years all of my life and have lived in many states and even other countries and I can say, unequivocally, you are a bigot. When you say, Where I am the people are smarter and far more enlightened than they are in those other far-off places, you expose the narrowness of your own world view to the world. As Mark Twain said,

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”




Now, I'm not saying you haven't ever traveled, but I'm saying maybe you could have gone further and stayed longer.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #136
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,476
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
Raising min wage = buying votes.
Representatives mindful of the interests of the popular voting public = Livable minimum wage and broadened opportunity for the hard working to increase economic status from a range of starting points.

Itís how the Democracy part of our Liberal Democratic Republic is suppose to work. So far it has worked better than other republics like the USSR and China being more democratic like it is but so many Idiots around seeming to crave corporate controlled corporate Oligarchy form of government have me thinking it may not continue.
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #137
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Rising minimum wage doesnt...help anything. Well maybe the little 16 year old working at mcdonalds saving his next paycheck for car parts but in the real world it doesnt help anything. The issue is the cost of living. Back in the 50s a lb of bread cost x amount. Seeing that our technology now days is a lot more advanced and labor is a lot less intensive, the prices should have gone down dramatically yet people still cant buy a meal.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #138
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,476
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
ftfy.

Bob, I'm an Army brat who moved around every two years all of my life and have lived in many states and even other countries and I can say, unequivocally, you are a bigot. When you say, Where I am the people are smarter and far more enlightened than they are in those other far-off places, you expose the narrowness of your own world view to the world. As Mark Twain said,

ďTravel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.Ē




Now, I'm not saying you haven't ever traveled, but I'm saying maybe you could have gone further and stayed longer.
Iíve lived in
Oregon
Washington
Idaho
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Missouri
Washington
Indiana
Kansas
Texas
Washington
In that order, and my last 4 years of High School were in Washington, Indiana, Kansas and Texas. Most of my time was spent in Washington and Texas. Iím a Nuke Brat. I did not enter those places as a Bigot It developed over time. Religion also seems to promote ignorance and irrationality in my view and people wear it on the outside a lot more in those states.
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #139
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,669
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

Needs more Carolinas, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama with an open mind. As you may know, there are pockets of ignorance in every city and town. SeaTac, for a closer to home example. Lots of geniuses there.

And above, where you said "The ones on the right side tend to be full of poor and ignorant people and lots of Bigots." Were you talking about the white bigots or the black bigots?

I was an elementary student in Hawaii where I was one of two white children in my grade level. Everyone else was an Asian or Pacific Islander. They kicked my *** daily and told me "Haole go home", haole being the Hawaiian word for white people (literally translated 'newcomer'). The older kids would take my bookbag and throw it over the fence into somebody's back yard. I was in 2nd grade and 3rd grade there. It was great being told by girls I liked in my class I was "haole crap". I was white so I was garbage. I love it when ****** tell me I don't know what it's like.

I had an interest in cars in common with another guy I went to college with who was black. After we met some of his friends one day he told me we couldn't be friends anymore because he was taking too much flack from "the brothers". It kinda pissed be off because, being an Army brat, I was used to being around everybody regardless of race and geographical background. Everybody was in the same boat on base.

Last edited by sixshooter; 08-30-2013 at 11:21 PM.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:29 AM   #140
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,476
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Needs more Carolinas, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama with an open mind. As you may know, there are pockets of ignorance in every city and town. SeaTac, for a closer to home example. Lots of geniuses there.

And above, where you said "The ones on the right side tend to be full of poor and ignorant people and lots of Bigots." Were you talking about the white bigots or the black bigots?

I was an elementary student in Hawaii where I was one of two white children in my grade level. Everyone else was an Asian or Pacific Islander. They kicked my *** daily and told me "Haole go home", haole being the Hawaiian word for white people (literally translated 'newcomer'). The older kids would take my bookbag and throw it over the fence into somebody's back yard. I was in 2nd grade and 3rd grade there. It was great being told by girls I liked in my class I was "haole crap". I was white so I was garbage. I love it when ****** tell me I don't know what it's like.

I had an interest in cars in common with another guy I went to college with who was black. After we met some of hisfriends one day he told me we couldn't be friends anymore because he was taking too much flack from "the brothers". It kinda pissed be off because, being an Army brat, I was used to being around everybody regardless of race and geographical background. Everybody was in the same boat on base.
Living in southern Indiana I spent a considerable amount of time in Kentucky,Tennessee, and Michigan. I raced BMX allot. My wifes family is from Alabama and Arkansas and Florida. Been to all of them for various amounts of time. While living in Texas I spent 3 full summers in Colorado living as a mountain bike bum all over that state also spent time winning state series mountain bike racing in Arkansas and Louisiana. I've been allot more places as well including a full summer in Alaska vacationing in hawaii across much of Canada Mexico, parts of south america, England and Europe.
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1997 STO Miata, $20K matthewdesigns Insert BS here 15 04-04-2012 08:32 AM
Reporter turns ghetto in 3 seconds Vashthestampede Media 10 10-15-2009 01:38 AM
Cobra Fail (most embarassing track pics evar) Braineack Media 20 06-30-2009 08:42 AM
Computer crash Pwns FFS 1.6 for this week magnamx-5 Insert BS here 40 01-18-2008 12:18 AM
WTF ad? Philip Insert BS here 1 04-18-2007 04:56 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 AM.