CHRA/turbine bolts relaxing. - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #121
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 1,850
Total Cats: -8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Bravo, sir.
BenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #122
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,479
Total Cats: 248
Default

I'm going to attempt to drill these tial bolts with .062" hole tomorrow during lunch. I'm too hungry to do it now & Meg's got "dinner" waiting at home.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #123
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Bravo, sir.
Why go through the trouble of nordlock when red Loctite will change the chemical composition of the metal and stop the bolt from relaxing?

We have six pages of people understanding that these bolts are stretching and relaxing, yet people still can't seem to get it through their heads.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #124
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,037
Total Cats: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I'm going to attempt to drill these tial bolts with .062" hole tomorrow during lunch. I'm too hungry to do it now & Meg's got "dinner" waiting at home.
you might want to place your order for a dozen solid carbide bits from mcmaster or head over there.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #125
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,479
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
you might want to place your order for a dozen solid carbide bits from mcmaster or head over there.
I was told to get a half dozen cobalt split point drill bits (only $1.50/ea) but it turns out we have a box of 'em at work. I'll replace whatever I go through. I live 10 miles from mcmaster so that works out

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Why go through the trouble of nordlock when red Loctite will change the chemical composition of the metal and stop the bolt from relaxing?

We have six pages of people understanding that these bolts are stretching and relaxing, yet people still can't seem to get it through their heads.
We have seven pages of people not sure which bolts you are talking about then the realization that you are still using stainless hardware which will definitely stretch and relax at those temps. The inconel will work better for you for the same reasons Trackspeed's 10mm hardware will keep your old garrett turbine on a cheaper manifold. I will drill the tial inconel bolts for you or you can make little tab strap things. Or have Abe make you a crane that won't fix the issue.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #126
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Tim, I owe you many beers.

Surprisingly, the SS bolts with inconel wire last ~5 track days, the unwired fancy bolts last a few minutes before they fall out.

Let me see what's up with my local machinist and if that doesn't work I'll have to do some 2-day air back and forth, or I'll buy whatever you have. Now that I'm getting serious in TT and paying $300 in entry fees, getting the car perfect before each race is essential.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #127
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 359
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I'm going to attempt to drill these tial bolts with .062" hole tomorrow during lunch. I'm too hungry to do it now & Meg's got "dinner" waiting at home.
nice. I will be interested to find out as well. Tim, possible to drill the tial bolts in my kit if you haven't ship them out yet.
aznDragonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #128
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 373
Total Cats: 36
Default

Hustler, what is your turbine inlet temp at full sustained load?
JKav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #129
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central, TX / Bay area, CA
Posts: 1,272
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Now that I'm getting serious in TT and paying $300 in entry fees, getting the car perfect before each race is essential.
How much do you normally pay? after paying for timing most MC events are $190 "buttonwillow"-$330 "Laguna seca" here in Cali.
Gotpsi? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #130
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKav View Post
Hustler, what is your turbine inlet temp at full sustained load?
I don't know, EGT is in a box. After what I went through on the cast manifold, I'm afraid to drill and tap this manifold. I assume it's nothing irrational because the motor has about 30-hours on it and it would have died by now if it were too high. I'm running 22-26* advance at WOT from 4000-7000 at 11.5:1 AFR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotpsi? View Post
How much do you normally pay? after paying for timing most MC events are $190 "buttonwillow"-$330 "Laguna seca" here in Cali.
$180 for one day, but I'm trying to do Sat/Sun for $300 to stay competitive.

Last edited by hustler; 02-22-2011 at 01:49 AM.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #131
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,353
Total Cats: 1,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKav View Post
Hustler, what is your turbine inlet temp at full sustained load?
Probably higher than mine (TX93/94 vs E85), and I have the same issue.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #132
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,479
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Tim, I owe you many beers.
http://www.mobbius.com/topics/3416?page=1#54061


Quote:
Originally Posted by aznDragonX View Post
nice. I will be interested to find out as well. Tim, possible to drill the tial bolts in my kit if you haven't ship them out yet.
Who are you? Jason? If I can drill these then I will for all the kits I still have and anyone who has bought stuff from me can send theirs back and I'll drill them too.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #133
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 359
Total Cats: -1
Default

Yes Tim. It's me. Cool, thank you for doing this!
- Jason
aznDragonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #134
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 373
Total Cats: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Probably higher than mine (TX93/94 vs E85), and I have the same issue.
In that case then all this bolt-backing-out nonsense has to be vibration-driven.
JKav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #135
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,353
Total Cats: 1,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKav View Post
In that case then all this bolt-backing-out nonsense has to be vibration-driven.
What, the SS or the Inconel? The SS galls and stretches, so that's definitely not vibration.

The Inconel hardware may not back out, but Trey and I aren't about to spend $500 per experiment to find out. Wire guarantees that if it comes a little loose, the turbo will probably still survive. If there's no wire and they come loose, you're on the hook for nearly a thousand bucks.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #136
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,479
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznDragonX View Post
Yes Tim. It's me. Cool, thank you for doing this!
- Jason
Today at lunch I attempted to drill .062 holes thru 10mm of tial inconel. Over 60 minutes I ate 7 cobalt drills, broke 2 within the hole, and only managed to drill two thru (not including the two I scrapped due to a stuck broken drill bit).

Just now one of our prototype machinists (who hooked me up with the fixtures, tools, speeds, tips, etc) spot faced and drilled one bolt thru in 1 minute 40 sec, done, while he was also running another machine. I just don't got the feel for drilling apparently (too fast and you bust it, too slow and you work harden the inconel and bust it). He's gonna stare at me tomrrow for a few minutes to see what I'm doing wrong. But if it wasn't a fluke and it can be done with a $1.50 drill bit and a few min a piece then it should be cheap.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #137
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
Today at lunch I attempted to drill .062 holes thru 10mm of tial inconel. Over 60 minutes I ate 7 cobalt drills, broke 2 within the hole, and only managed to drill two thru (not including the two I scrapped due to a stuck broken drill bit).

Just now one of our prototype machinists (who hooked me up with the fixtures, tools, speeds, tips, etc) spot faced and drilled one bolt thru in 1 minute 40 sec, done, while he was also running another machine. I just don't got the feel for drilling apparently (too fast and you bust it, too slow and you work harden the inconel and bust it). He's gonna stare at me tomrrow for a few minutes to see what I'm doing wrong. But if it wasn't a fluke and it can be done with a $1.50 drill bit and a few min a piece then it should be cheap.
Great news that you can do it.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #138
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,479
Total Cats: 248
Default

I can't yet.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #139
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I can't yet.
Well that your shop can do it I should say.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #140
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (10)
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 5,440
Total Cats: 197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I can't yet.
But, but, you're special...yeah?
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Cast Manifold Corky Bell Prefabbed Turbo Kits 18 11-22-2016 10:01 PM
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
WTB Bellhousing Bolts patsmx5 WTB 1 10-01-2015 10:43 AM
Worm drive clamps are better than t-bolt clamps aidandj Insert BS here 80 09-18-2015 08:19 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 PM.