The Miata Bushing MEGAthread: Heirarchy, DIY delrin dimensions, info and discussion - Page 10 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #181
SadFab CEO
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,904
Total Cats: 613
Default

Im still waiting on bushings from energy to do the exchange thing. Ill sell any individual pieces you want.
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #182
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 25
Total Cats: -11
Default

Okay, thanks. The reason I posted the question was to find out how much trouble others were having removing and inserting the steel inner bushings during re-grease. I spoke to a tech-rep at Energy who happens to own a Miata and he says he can remove and install his steel bushings by hand for greasing. I had to pound like hell with a big hammer and drift both to remove and reinstall, so I'm wondering what's going on. I remember being able to hand fit them when new.
MX5JER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #183
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,479
Total Cats: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5JER View Post
Okay, thanks. The reason I posted the question was to find out how much trouble others were having removing and inserting the steel inner bushings during re-grease. I spoke to a tech-rep at Energy who happens to own a Miata and he says he can remove and install his steel bushings by hand for greasing. I had to pound like hell with a big hammer and drift both to remove and reinstall, so I'm wondering what's going on. I remember being able to hand fit them when new.
he is lying or has never driven his car. within a couple days of driving it takes a press to remove stock ES sleeves. You can pound them out but they are soft metal and you will likely mushroom out the ends.
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #184
SadFab CEO
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,904
Total Cats: 613
Default

He works for ES, what do you expect?

I have only personally taken apart one car with used poly, and every sleeve required a hammer and or press to remove.
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:44 PM   #185
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

You know what would be cool? A solution for the sway bar bushings. I think what would work perfect would be some sort of split bronze bushing. Which are harder to find than you would think.
something like this except just inside a bored out standard poly bushing. Some ideas on how to make them here I'm also considering just buying twice as many as required and cutting them slightly less than in half and then filing them to fit the sway bar perfectly. They're only $3.66 each on mcmaster.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:52 AM   #186
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,460
Total Cats: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
You know what would be cool? A solution for the sway bar bushings. I think what would work perfect would be some sort of split bronze bushing. Which are harder to find than you would think.
something like this except just inside a bored out standard poly bushing. Some ideas on how to make them here I'm also considering just buying twice as many as required and cutting them slightly less than in half and then filing them to fit the sway bar perfectly. They're only $3.66 each on mcmaster.
Does wrapping the bar in teflon tape not do what you are wanting those bushings to do?
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:54 AM   #187
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

It might. I only really bring it up because I noticed when I put the new shocks in that they car will stay at a wicked high ride height even after driving it unless you push the front of the car bad down or cinch it down on the trailer.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:41 AM   #188
ʎpunq qoq
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 502
Total Cats: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
It might. I only really bring it up because I noticed when I put the new shocks in that they car will stay at a wicked high ride height even after driving it unless you push the front of the car bad down or cinch it down on the trailer.
I made some delrin ones for the rear sway bar. I haven't done the front yet but I'll do the same. They took 20 mins to make with a hacksaw and drill.

<br >
Attached Thumbnails
The Miata Bushing MEGAthread: Heirarchy, DIY delrin dimensions, info and discussion-80-20160207_103344_zpsfog95chs_7c1f89f511ae2285b62d2ffa148b3b7ce0b3b50a.jpg  
Madjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:16 AM   #189
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,479
Total Cats: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
You know what would be cool? A solution for the sway bar bushings. I think what would work perfect would be some sort of split bronze bushing. Which are harder to find than you would think.
something like this except just inside a bored out standard poly bushing. Some ideas on how to make them here I'm also considering just buying twice as many as required and cutting them slightly less than in half and then filing them to fit the sway bar perfectly. They're only $3.66 each on mcmaster.
go to a NASCAR style speedway engineering 3 piece bar use bronze bushings problem solved.

here is another version. sealed ball bearings. Im using bronze in delrin blocks instead.
http://www.smallfortuneracing.com/mazda_miata.html
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #190
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: KY
Posts: 700
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjak View Post
I made some delrin ones for the rear sway bar. I haven't done the front yet but I'll do the same. They took 20 mins to make with a hacksaw and drill.
+1 kitteh cat to you. I will be copying this design.

jpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #191
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbundy View Post
go to a NASCAR style speedway engineering 3 piece bar use bronze bushings problem solved.

here is another version. sealed ball bearings. Im using bronze in delrin blocks instead.
Mazda Miata
Yeah I'm going to be putting a gendron bar onto the real racecar since its like $50 more than calling speedway and ordering the parts from them. But not for the ES car. I was cringing at spending the like $20 shipped it was going to cost to diy the bronze over poly.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #192
Junior Member
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 168
Total Cats: 0
Default

Wait, I may have missed it - do you have pricing for the bronze retrofit + ES control arm bushings kit? It'd be nice to order the whole shebang from you (ES bushings, drilled out bushing, and required retrofit). Thanks!
wherestheboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:39 PM   #193
SadFab CEO
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,904
Total Cats: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherestheboost View Post
Wait, I may have missed it - do you have pricing for the bronze retrofit + ES control arm bushings kit? It'd be nice to order the whole shebang from you (ES bushings, drilled out bushing, and required retrofit). Thanks!
No, we are getting the ES FUCA bushings so that we can do an exchange program for drilling them to 7/8". I should have those by next week!
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:55 AM   #194
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 118
Total Cats: 10
Default

Have read the thread, but still not sure which option I want/need. Street/track/autocross/hillclimb (I have one car) currently with original OEM 190k rubber bushings. Do I want:

1. The full Delrin package = $610.
or
2. Bronze retrofit kit ~$200 + ES energy bushings $189 = ~$389 (according to the projected FS thread pricing...)

Derrlin will be more stiff, Poly slightly better NVH? I'm actually leaning towards the poly option. How much difference is the performance between these two options?
Junkwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:07 AM   #195
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,999
Total Cats: 1,466
Default

The nvh really isn't that bad with delrin. Poly+bronze will perform really well. IMO delrin is for that last performance bump.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #196
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canberra, sort of
Posts: 126
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
The nvh really isn't that bad with delrin. Poly+bronze will perform really well. IMO delrin is for that last performance bump.
Thanks Aidan, that is just the information I need for my OTR (Other Than Racecar), which is mainly road but sees irregular track duty as well.
Gee Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #197
SadFab CEO
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,904
Total Cats: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkwhale View Post
Have read the thread, but still not sure which option I want/need. Street/track/autocross/hillclimb (I have one car) currently with original OEM 190k rubber bushings. Do I want:

1. The full Delrin package = $610.
or
2. Bronze retrofit kit ~$200 + ES energy bushings $189 = ~$389 (according to the projected FS thread pricing...)

Derrlin will be more stiff, Poly slightly better NVH? I'm actually leaning towards the poly option. How much difference is the performance between these two options?
Just an FYI. $610 is for the kit with the rear spherical conversion. We are out of those right now, and wont have any for a month or 3. The "NASA" kit, which uses poly in that location is $570, shipped.
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #198
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: KY
Posts: 700
Total Cats: 51
Default

I have a set of rear knuckle sphericals I'll sell. I originally ordered the full delrin/spherical package, but before I installed them I decided I wanted to stay NASA legal and switched pack to poly in that location.
jpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:20 PM   #199
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SC
Posts: 84
Total Cats: 8
Default

I'm piecing together the parts to do a bronze bearing & alloy sleeve conversion for my poly bushings, but I'm having trouble finding a suitable washer to use on the ends of the bushings in the lower alignment locations. I thought I'd be able to track one down easily on McMaster, but I haven't had much luck (most are too thin). Sean, any chance you've got a link to one you've found to work well?
dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:12 AM   #200
SadFab CEO
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,904
Total Cats: 613
Default

I have yet to find an of the shelf washer that works, I have to bore the ID out on the ones I use. If your making your own sleeves, you can turn and part your own washers.
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Portabull LFX Build gooflophaze Build Threads 202 07-03-2017 08:12 PM
Back to stock sale skipstr Miata parts for sale/trade 17 01-30-2016 12:21 AM
Help with my noise rear 90 Turbo Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 01-14-2016 09:49 PM
Reintroductions Alleycat Joe Meet and Greet 8 01-11-2016 04:34 PM
"y8s shed is big, but not that big" random parts sale y8s Miata parts for sale/trade 6 01-06-2016 01:45 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 PM.