Jason's reverse Build - Page 25 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2010, 02:54 AM   #481
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

I like the steering wheel, what make and model??
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #482
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

The steering wheel is a Personal Trophy 350mm with red stitches and black suede.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #483
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Just saw you on Pinks again last night. "Bought it to go road racing, and that never worked out."

Can't say that anymore. Nice looking seat.
Funny that I went drag racing in a Miata, but now I want a muscle car for road course duty.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #484
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

Found a hairline crack in my tubular manifold on the top of the #3 runner where it's welded to the flange. Debating whether to try and get it fixed (I worry that it will just crack later on), move on to a different setup or just part the car out. Any ideas? The current setup (drag) is so far from where I want it to be (road course) it almost seems easier to start over.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #485
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,897
Total Cats: 109
Default

I would try to get it welded. My header cracks occasionally, and I just weld it up. It has lasted for years after welding.

I hate to see you part it out. Try selling it as a turn key first. You have enough notoriety, that you would probably have a better chance of getting a decent price for it compared to the average Joe. Your quality of workmanship is so well documented.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #486
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

I've taken it to the guy that does most of my welding and he doesn't feel that it will last if it's welded. Guess I can pull it off and get a few more opinions.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #487
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Renton Washington
Posts: 1,742
Total Cats: 3
Default

Get a second opinion from a fellow Miata enthusiast who just so happens to be a welder.
SKMetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #488
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
I've taken it to the guy that does most of my welding and he doesn't feel that it will last if it's welded. Guess I can pull it off and get a few more opinions.
I'm assuming you're talking about Andre, in which case i'd trust his input. However, have you considered bracing it? Manifolds with that much weight cantilevered off of the head flange are going to crack there eventually unless you brace that weight. I dont think fabrication prowess is going to have much of anything to do with it.

If I were to start all over i'd go with an E30 for reliable track day fun. Just my opinion on the matter though =P
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #489
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
I'm assuming you're talking about Andre, in which case i'd trust his input. However, have you considered bracing it? Manifolds with that much weight cantilevered off of the head flange are going to crack there eventually unless you brace that weight. I dont think fabrication prowess is going to have much of anything to do with it.
Gusseting and brace/crane might be the answer.

Quote:
If I were to start all over i'd go with an E30 for reliable track day fun. Just my opinion on the matter though =P
Two things:

1. I've been saying this for a while now.

2. I don't really want this to happen because, once again, Jason will have the same car as me, only 1 generation newer, and with at least 200whp more than mine. It gets discouraging :P.
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #490
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

I just had a very interesting conversation with T1 Race Development about the manifold. Turns out they didn't even build the thing, got to love it when people make false claims just to sell something.

Anyways, I'm not going to try to repair it. I'm just going to put the manifold, turbo and full exhaust up for sale once I figure out a fair price for the package. Time to start over and have a small turbo car turbo car for awhile.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #491
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
I just had a very interesting conversation with T1 Race Development about the manifold. Turns out they didn't even build the thing, got to love it when people make false claims just to sell something.

Anyways, I'm not going to try to repair it. I'm just going to put the manifold, turbo and full exhaust up for sale once I figure out a fair price for the package. Time to start over and have a small turbo car turbo car for awhile.
If you plan on having something custom built I have a BP head flange sitting here for someone to get started.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #492
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
If you plan on having something custom built I have a BP head flange sitting here for someone to get started.
I'll pass on the flange, I'm going to take my time deciding what to do next.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #493
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #494
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

so are you moving to a differnt car like you mentioned in the track car thread or starting over with this one?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #495
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Very sad. I'm curious, how many heavily modified cars have you owned? My miata is my first.

Whoever gets your power setup will have a great foundation.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #496
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
so are you moving to a differnt car like you mentioned in the track car thread or starting over with this one?
I'm moving on to a different car. That's if I can part this one out for a decent price or even sell it whole. I'm not about to start giving stuff away so if it doesn't sell I'll just park it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
Very sad. I'm curious, how many heavily modified cars have you owned? My miata is my first.

Whoever gets your power setup will have a great foundation.
I've owned so many heavily modified cars/truck that I've lost track of how many.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #497
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

Soon, very soon....she will live again.

Name:  100_2762installed.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  66.8 KB

Last edited by JayL; 12-23-2010 at 12:17 AM.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #498
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

oh **** yes. I have religiously followed every one of your threads. (almost like a e-stalker)
So far I have never been disappointed
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:30 AM   #499
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,107
Total Cats: 518
Default

Is that a bright silver or white? I do love how clean you can make an N/A engine bay.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #500
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Is that a bright silver or white? I do love how clean you can make an NA engine bay.
It must be a serious accomplishment that he's done this to an NB then
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Is my swirl pot design okay? FrankB Race Prep 10 10-02-2015 10:00 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM
Image resizer concealer404 Front Desk 3 09-29-2015 01:41 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 PM.