K series Miata swap - Page 16 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #301
Supporting Vendor
 
KMiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 444
Total Cats: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
I tried a quick thread search without success.

magicdc2 - Have you looked to see if A/C is plausible with this swap?
A/C.... well the short answer is YES, it can be done. However, the stock K compressor will have to be spaced out a bit, because in the stock location it interferes with the steering column. Factory steering geometry > A/C.

Eventually I plan to make a kit for it, but nothing in the works now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
Aren't these motors 240whp with an intake, header, and tune? Soooo much fun!
That's a bit generous, and it depends on the dyno. 220+ with intake, header, and tune is more like it. Throw some cams in there and 240+ all day long.

My integra made 247whp, 192wtq with a k24a2, bolt-ons, and some mild cams. I'm doing the exact same setup in the Miata, but with a bit more drivetrain loss factored in I'm shooting for 230+.
KMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #302
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,640
Total Cats: 76
Default

How much longer until you think you'll have more specifics and prices?
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #303
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
Aren't these motors 240whp with an intake, header, and tune?
lol no.
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #304
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 510
Total Cats: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicdc2 View Post
My integra made 247whp, 192wtq with a k24a2, bolt-ons, and some mild cams. I'm doing the exact same setup in the Miata, but with a bit more drivetrain loss factored in I'm shooting for 230+.
Attached Thumbnails
K series Miata swap-shut-up-take-my-money.jpg  
njn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #305
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 160
Total Cats: 2
Default

I'm in for this, looks like I got a new project planned for next winter. See you out at Wangfest this summer. I want a ride!

What suspension are you running? What lap times are you thinking @ Gingerman ?
natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #306
Supporting Vendor
 
KMiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 444
Total Cats: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg View Post
I'm in for this, looks like I got a new project planned for next winter. See you out at Wangfest this summer. I want a ride!

What suspension are you running? What lap times are you thinking @ Gingerman ?
Sounds good man, and yes there will be plenty of ride alongs this summer.

Right now suspension is Koni yellows, GC springs (440 lb front 300 rear) and big front sway. Little more of a street/track setup, but I plan on keeping it on the car for now, as I was pretty happy with it last year.

Goal is to run the car in TTB, and I think the current track record is around 1:43, which I think I can beat with some seat time and fine tuning.
KMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #307
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,458
Total Cats: 48
Default

Did you happen to weigh everything before and after? As in I assume the engine might lose a little weight compared to an iron block BP.
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #308
Supporting Vendor
 
KMiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 444
Total Cats: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilicharger665 View Post
Did you happen to weigh everything before and after? As in I assume the engine might lose a little weight compared to an iron block BP.
Before the swap, it weighed about 2425 with hard top, roll bar, spare tire, and nearly a full tank of fuel.

Its definitely lighter now, but I have yet to get it on the scales. The front end did sit up a bit higher after the swap, and I plan on weighing it soon. Double the whp while making the car lighter... can't complain about that.
KMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:46 AM   #309
Newb
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 40
Total Cats: -5
Default

I've been following this build for a few months glad to see you regularly post updates. I'm leaving the Miata for a s2000 but once you get a kit out I think I would get a Miata just for the swap! Can't wait to see this hit the streets!
CrazyMiataNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #310
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

I wonder what ratio of people that will actually pull out their wallet and buy a kit when its out will be vs all the tire kickers in here. Because it seems like half this thread is saying they'll buy a kit, and we all know like only 2 people actually will LOL
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #311
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 903
Total Cats: 59
Default

I'm willing to pull my wallet out if it works on track and is reliable. I'm not too keen on spending a few grand to work out the kinks and be a paying beta tester.
Dunning Kruger Affect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #312
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tehachapi, CA
Posts: 52
Total Cats: 2
Default

I could afford the kit fairly easily, its the engine and associated components that will take me time to collect...
halfdemonpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #313
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I wonder what ratio of people that will actually pull out their wallet and buy a kit when its out will be vs all the tire kickers in here. Because it seems like half this thread is saying they'll buy a kit, and we all know like only 2 people actually will LOL
I think you are on the money about people who will actually pick up the kit and do the swap. When doing an engine swap the up front costs are way higher then a turbo. I think that scares a large segment away from doing swaps. With the turbo you can space out purchases and do things in stages.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #314
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,640
Total Cats: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunning Kruger Affect View Post
I'm willing to pull my wallet out if it works on track and is reliable. I'm not too keen on spending a few grand to work out the kinks and be a paying beta tester.
I'm curious about the oil pan when used with Hoosiers/Aero in a track environment as well.

I'm sure there is a dry sump kit for these engines? But then we are probably getting back to the $$$ point of "Why not just LSx swap?"
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #315
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
I'm curious about the oil pan when used with Hoosiers/Aero in a track environment as well.

I'm sure there is a dry sump kit for these engines? But then we are probably getting back to the $$$ point of "Why not just LSx swap?"
But then the LSx have known oiling issues with high grip cars on the track too.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #316
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 903
Total Cats: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
I'm curious about the oil pan when used with Hoosiers/Aero in a track environment as well.

I'm sure there is a dry sump kit for these engines? But then we are probably getting back to the $$$ point of "Why not just LSx swap?"
I'm guessing pretty much everything OTD is going to be about $7-8k, but it's for something that isn't proven... or you can drop ship a motor from 949/TSE and buy some IRTBs (if you're feelin' saucy) for the same money, but actually know that it will work.
Dunning Kruger Affect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #317
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 510
Total Cats: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunning Kruger Affect View Post
I'm guessing pretty much everything OTD is going to be about $7-8k, but it's for something that isn't proven... or you can drop ship a motor from 949/TSE and buy some IRTBs (if you're feelin' saucy) for the same money, but actually know that it will work.
I think your estimate is a little high based on what I've figured so far but I haven't put every single piece in a spreadsheet yet.

Reasons why I'd do this over a built Mazda engine:
1. A stock k-series is going to make the power of a built n/a engine. Blow the k-series and you can have a replacement from a local junkyard for 1k.
2. The k-series can make race BP engine power with basic parts.
3. As was just discussed, it's lighter.
4. I've owned/driven a ton of Hondas over the years and I honestly can't think of a single one that had a worse engine than the 1.6L that is in my Miata right now. I'd rather have the D16 out of my old CRX than this thing.
njn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:49 AM   #318
Supporting Vendor
 
KMiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 444
Total Cats: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I wonder what ratio of people that will actually pull out their wallet and buy a kit when its out will be vs all the tire kickers in here. Because it seems like half this thread is saying they'll buy a kit, and we all know like only 2 people actually will LOL
well lucky for me, my market isn't just people in this thread. I don't need to sell a ton of these things to make it worth my while, and it will definitely take some time for interest to build, as with any product like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njn63 View Post
I think your estimate is a little high based on what I've figured so far but I haven't put every single piece in a spreadsheet yet.

Reasons why I'd do this over a built Mazda engine:
1. A stock k-series is going to make the power of a built n/a engine. Blow the k-series and you can have a replacement from a local junkyard for 1k.
2. The k-series can make race BP engine power with basic parts.
3. As was just discussed, it's lighter.
4. I've owned/driven a ton of Hondas over the years and I honestly can't think of a single one that had a worse engine than the 1.6L that is in my Miata right now. I'd rather have the D16 out of my old CRX than this thing.
$7-8k cost for the full swap is pretty realistic, if you do the work yourself.

As far as your list, here is what it comes down to:
spend 7-8k to build a 170-180whp Miata motor
or:
spend 7-8k to swap in a stock Honda motor that makes 220-230whp, and makes 300+ when fully built, with a much better powerband and flat torque curve. and like you said, you blow it up and you pick up another longblock from a junkyard and swap it in an afternoon.

On the race track, engines are consumables. I'm usually having the most fun when those consumables are as cheap as possible.
KMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:55 AM   #319
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

What year (year of car) can you pull a motor out of? The reason why i ask is for emissions.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:58 AM   #320
Supporting Vendor
 
KMiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 444
Total Cats: 145
Default

2002-2008 includes all the "good" engines that are used for swaps.
KMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW-Wiseco Piston, K1 Rods, Supertech Valves & Spring/Retainer, TB&C pedals Rudes333 Miata parts for sale/trade 17 11-05-2015 02:16 PM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
Another Alternator thread ihiryu General Miata Chat 9 09-28-2015 11:22 AM
starting issue Johnny Tater Engine Performance 3 09-23-2015 07:10 PM
Foreign powered NB for NASA ST3 and/or E0 d k Race Prep 44 09-15-2015 11:59 AM


Tags
k series swap, k20, k24, vtec_yo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 PM.