Redline Time Attack/Super Lap Battle rebuild thread - Page 27 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Media Got any pics or vids to share?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #521
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,367
Total Cats: 1,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
The 99+ wheel is really odd... It has 4 unevenly spaced teeth. The most popular engine management option on the board (MS1) can't do anything with it.

TBQH my MSPNP will be on the market soon. I'm switching to an AEM. I want better knock sensing capabilities, individual cylinder trims, onboard datalogging, VVT control, and the ability to talk to a Racepak digital dash. If I could make the MS do all this, I probably would, but at that point it's probably easier to just switch.

I'm going to prod Jason Cuadra and see what he knows about the whole mess.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:31 AM   #522
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 671
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Ditto, is there any benefit to a 12-tooth wheel over the '99 OEM stuff?
6 times the resolution over stock


j_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:40 AM   #523
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 671
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
We (Jesel) use rare earth magnets on our front drive CAS kit, cheap and easily available from McMaster, epoxy them in to a simple machined rotor, use a MSD non-magnetic sensor, etc. But it's only 1 pole for simple cam location reference for standalones...actual timing is based off a crank wheel which is the only way to go in race engines.

Using a simple waterjetted wheel with a magnetic sensor or a wheel with epoxied magnets and a "non magnetic" sensor would do the same thing as long as it's on the damn crank. The more the merrier as long as your ECU can handle it.
Hmmm, then what about starting with a '99-'05 OEM crank wheel ( $6 from Mazda Motorsports ) and cutting off the 4 teeth. This turns it into a nice toothless wheel (it's a perfect circle too).
Can we make the new 2mm x 2mm teeth from some ferous material and somehow stick them on the wheel periphery evenly spaced - a tooth per 30 degrees. I don't think I would trust epoxy to keep those in place though ...
j_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:53 AM   #524
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 671
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
EDIT: and with regards to the knock sensor, when it hears knock (over a user-set threshold based on rpm) I think it knows which cylinder fired and trims timing and/or fuel on that cylinder instead of all of them. I also have it flash my check engine light whenever it senses knock (led bulb helps here)
The knock control doesn't retard per cylinder but all cylinders at once - IIRC they ran out of processor power or ram.
Of course you still have general per cylinder trims.

If I was putting together my car now I would've used the new AEM Series 2 instead. It is even more powerful ECU with lots of improvements over the original one. There is no PnP Miata version, but using the Supra one and just building a Supra to Miata jumper harness isn't that hard.
As a bonus the Supra AEM EMS 2 even has peak and hold injector drivers, so you can use low impedance injectors ...
j_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:58 AM   #525
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,367
Total Cats: 1,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_man View Post
6 times the resolution over stock

Is it 6 times better, then? I understand the resolution will obviously be better, but what does that actually gain me? Are we talking about a degree of slop removed, or a tenth of a degree of slop removed?

edit: Also, why exactly is it 6 times the resolution? Does the stock 4-tooth wheel use two of the teeth to know TDC and two of them to locate things? Forgive the idiocy.

AFAIK, the gen1 AEM will support two knock sensors and you can tell it which cylinders to retard/add fuel to when knock sensor 1 goes off (vs sensor 2).

Last edited by Savington; 11-24-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:40 AM   #526
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 4,481
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
TBQH my MSPNP will be on the market soon. I'm switching to an AEM. I want better knock sensing capabilities, individual cylinder trims, onboard datalogging, VVT control, and the ability to talk to a Racepak digital dash. If I could make the MS do all this, I probably would, but at that point it's probably easier to just switch.

I'm going to prod Jason Cuadra and see what he knows about the whole mess.
I told all you ******* that MegaSquirts are no way to go unless you need something basic that will control big injectors for cheap. AEM is only an entry-level ECU and it does so much more then MegaSquirt!

I bet you could make MegaSquirt work but it would take so much effort and time!
UrbanSoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #527
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 15
Total Cats: 6
Default

Savington, congratulations on your car and results, and thanks for sharing it.

Have you considered moving to E85 and removing the WI? one less failure-prone device on the track = WIN. Specially with the stock manifold and single port.
Nurburgring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #528
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
TBQH my MSPNP will be on the market soon. I'm switching to an AEM. I want better knock sensing capabilities, individual cylinder trims, onboard datalogging, VVT control, and the ability to talk to a Racepak digital dash. If I could make the MS do all this, I probably would, but at that point it's probably easier to just switch.

I'm going to prod Jason Cuadra and see what he knows about the whole mess.
At the point you're at...I don't think anyone can blame you.

MS is an awesome, capable and affordable solution...and the best thing for 99% of us. You are no longer mortal like us...and need something divine in the way of engine management.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #529
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Great...now I have to spend $8k on a new computer. This **** is ******* ghey. Time to sell and buy a Lotus.

If a crank/trigger wheel will help keep my car together, then lets get some made. I know my car is a raging piece of **** because I can't afford a Magnetti Morelli computer, but its all I have so I'd like to make it the best I can. In for group buy.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #530
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
TBQH my MSPNP will be on the market soon. I'm switching to an AEM. I want better knock sensing capabilities, individual cylinder trims, onboard datalogging, VVT control, and the ability to talk to a Racepak digital dash. If I could make the MS do all this, I probably would, but at that point it's probably easier to just switch.

I'm going to prod Jason Cuadra and see what he knows about the whole mess.
MS3, which is due very soon, will do all of that. Except for the dash thing, I don't want to say it does or doesn't do it--because frankly I don't know. (MS2 does most of it already)
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #531
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,367
Total Cats: 1,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
MS3, which is due very soon, will do all of that. Except for the dash thing, I don't want to say it does or doesn't do it--because frankly I don't know. (MS2 does most of it already)
Even so, I'm not keen on dealing with the teething issues of MS3, especially without a corporate support base. I know a lot of people here enjoy fiddling with the ECU for fun, but I need it to work right out of the box, and have a support base right out of the box, and I don't think MS3 can do that for me.

Gospeed, that's exactly my thoughts on the MS. Awesome ECU, great for 99% of cars out there, but if you want to really push the envelope, you're going to want a couple of things it just doesn't offer.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #532
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,897
Total Cats: 109
Default

I noticed not much mention of Electormotive. Do they suck?
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #533
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I don't understand why everyone's so hung up with putting magnets on the wheel. You just need a wheel made from a ferrous material and a magnetic pick up.
I've seen ATI wheels offered on the FM website.
non magnetic pickups have their merits. If you're going as far as putting a wheel on, why not go a step further and do it a little nicer?

It'd cost more, that's the only reason not to.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 AM   #534
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Total Cats: 0
Default

Is the vehicle running AST dampers now? Any impression. Low and high velocity. All this info is always subjective.
-Ronald
ronmastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:03 AM   #535
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,367
Total Cats: 1,331
Default

I had them on the car for these two events, although I have to give them back to Emilio now. :'( The price tag will make jaws drop, but these are so far beyond my Koni Races it's not even funny. Especially at Buttonwillow, curbs that used to pop the car into the air feel like a walk in the park with these things. It's really eerie - you feel the shocks working, you can feel all the bumps and imperfections, but the car stays completely planted no matter what you drive over. I can run the car lower, which improves front end aero, without sacrificing bump travel like I would with my Konis as well. The transition through really fast stuff is improved as well - that's one big thing I noticed at Buttonwillow. There is one corner, a fast banked right-hand sweeper, that dumps onto a short straight, and then a kink to a left before a braking zone over a blind rise. (Riverside into Lost Hills for the locals.) With 200whp, I would get through Riverside, and it would be a real struggle to get the car back to the right side to set up for the left kink. Flat out, with 200whp, I would get through the kink doing ~120mph, on the limits of adhesion because the track is a little bumpy there. With the ASTs and another 75whp, I was STILL able to go flat, even though I was carrying at least another 5mph, possibly more, through that section - the big bumps that used to upset the car with the Konis are there, and you can feel that they are there, but the car stays composed and just absorbs everything. The XIDAs, combined with the OS Giken LSD, simply make the car easier to drive - a 320whp Miata should not be as easy to drive as mine is.

The bottom line is that they are the best, and worth every penny of Emilio's $3750 asking price. Some people will scoff at that - ask them if they've ever driven a set of really good shocks and see what they say. I'll be buying a set at some point next year.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #536
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: south texas
Posts: 1,419
Total Cats: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
I had them on the car for these two events, although I have to give them back to Emilio now. :'( The price tag will make jaws drop, but these are so far beyond my Koni Races it's not even funny. Especially at Buttonwillow, curbs that used to pop the car into the air feel like a walk in the park with these things. It's really eerie - you feel the shocks working, you can feel all the bumps and imperfections, but the car stays completely planted no matter what you drive over. I can run the car lower, which improves front end aero, without sacrificing bump travel like I would with my Konis as well. The transition through really fast stuff is improved as well - that's one big thing I noticed at Buttonwillow. There is one corner, a fast banked right-hand sweeper, that dumps onto a short straight, and then a kink to a left before a braking zone over a blind rise. (Riverside into Lost Hills for the locals.) With 200whp, I would get through Riverside, and it would be a real struggle to get the car back to the right side to set up for the left kink. Flat out, with 200whp, I would get through the kink doing ~120mph, on the limits of adhesion because the track is a little bumpy there. With the ASTs and another 75whp, I was STILL able to go flat, even though I was carrying at least another 5mph, possibly more, through that section - the big bumps that used to upset the car with the Konis are there, and you can feel that they are there, but the car stays composed and just absorbs everything. The XIDAs, combined with the OS Giken LSD, simply make the car easier to drive - a 320whp Miata should not be as easy to drive as mine is.

The bottom line is that they are the best, and worth every penny of Emilio's $3750 asking price. Some people will scoff at that - ask them if they've ever driven a set of really good shocks and see what they say. I'll be buying a set at some point next year.
exactly what i dreamed they would be like! ^^^^
spoolin2bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #537
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
The bottom line is that they are the best, and worth every penny of Emilio's $3750 asking price.
La la la laaaa I cannot hear you lalalllalllaaaaalllaalalalalalaaaaaallaaa


That is just what I need, lust for a high dollar suspension
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #538
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 373
Total Cats: 36
Default

Sav, so what was the verdict on the source of the det? Injectors checked out okay?
JKav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #539
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,367
Total Cats: 1,331
Default

Two at 749cc, one at 738cc, one at 724cc. I was careless when tearing it down and I didn't label them, but one can postulate that the slight lean condition on one cylinder combined with the detonation induced from high IATs didn't help matters any.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #540
Elite AbsurdFlow Member
 
Laur3ns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Enschede, NL
Posts: 2,058
Total Cats: 11
Default

3% lean on 11.5 would be ~12, doesn't help, but not overly dramatic either is it?
Could it be it's more timing* induced knock than AFR or IAT induced?

*) from the quick-n-dirty dyno session

What are the plans now?
Laur3ns is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM


Tags
build, redline time attack

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.