Sudden rough running [resolved] - Page 14 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #261
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in NoVA
Posts: 550
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post
Travis made a comment earlier that I didn't catch. He said that we were the only ones having this problem. I wasn't aware of any NB's running in the US that were problem free. Actually, I thought that the only ones running it were here on this board. Maybe he meant that the US is the only one with this problem.
Damn, good question!!!! I saw that there was an ECU file on the adaptronic site; but who made it and are they still running?

I am eager as hell to get mine installed... planning on this weekend; but would you guys say yes or no on going forward?

Cheers,
Prospero
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #262
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Travis, so we are all on the same configuration, which firmware version should we flash, and which version of WARI should we use? The latest official releases, or the latest betas? Regardless, I am assuming we should get both directly from the Adaptronic site download area and/or forum.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #263
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martijn View Post
Okay, a little word from me

The way mazda designed it on a NA miata:
A generator which just works or fails. To know there is extra electrical load there are wires from the PSP A/C headlights blower fan etc. to the ecu to gain extra rpm's at idle to make the engine more stable.

The way mazda designed it on a NB miata:
A generator that is controled bij output voltage and engine rpm's, to make a more stable output of voltage. Because of this there are no wires from the above mentioned electric users to the ecu, and mazda designed it so that a extra rpm's aren't needed.

The guys from Adaptronic mounted some resistors in the printboard to make sure the nessecary input is there for the ecu to control the generator.

Prospero; in martijn's above post, where it says "generator" read "alternator".

I wish Chad would chime in. I know there was a reason related to the NB alternator that made him use his MS in parallel.

I take it both Stein and Tex hooked up their Adaptronics as standalone. As far as we know they're the first NB miata owners with Adaptronics installed in the US.

Sorry to interfere but I just sold mine to Ismael (in Spain) and I'm concerned about this too.
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #264
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Nope the Adaptronics are still parallel installs, though 'less parallel' than the Megasquirt setup was. For example, the Megasquirt (mine anyway) did not control the alternator, nor the fans. But there are still some functions with the Adaptronic that are handled by the stock ECU, like the cruise control, and ODB-II.

Chad has not installed his Adaptronic yet, and will not be able to for awhile; I know the story but I'll let him tell it. In fact he is hoping we have this all straightened out by the time he is able to
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #265
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,583
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
Travis, so we are all on the same configuration, which firmware version should we flash, and which version of WARI should we use? The latest official releases, or the latest betas? Regardless, I am assuming we should get both directly from the Adaptronic site download area and/or forum.
Lets use 1.0N and the newest WARI posted, and I agree we should go directly to the website and grab it. Make sure you follow the instructions very precisely. Do exactly as the Flashing program says to do.

I just sent out an email asking for feedback on the Adaptronics so we'll see what happens there!
TravisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #266
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,583
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Damn, good question!!!! I saw that there was an ECU file on the adaptronic site; but who made it and are they still running?

I am eager as hell to get mine installed... planning on this weekend; but would you guys say yes or no on going forward?

Cheers,
Prospero
These installations have been around for a long time, and the owner of the company at Adaptronic runs an NB I believe with zero problems. I asked them if there was ever an issue with any size of injectors, and they said no.
TravisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #267
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Granada, Spain
Posts: 336
Total Cats: 2
Default

I'll be another Adaptronic user soon (thanks Rafa). And with a NB too, so I'm expecting the same problems. Maybe my installation could worth offering more clues.
ismael_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #268
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
Nope the Adaptronics are still parallel installs, though 'less parallel' than the Megasquirt setup was. For example, the Megasquirt (mine anyway) did not control the alternator, nor the fans. But there are still some functions with the Adaptronic that are handled by the stock ECU, like the cruise control, and ODB-II.
Here's another dumb question:

Would it be too hard to let the car's ECU control the alternator with the Adaptronic? This way at least we would know it's not related to that.
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #269
Junior Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 455
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismael_pt View Post
I'll be another Adaptronic user soon (thanks Rafa). And with a NB too, so I'm expecting the same problems. Maybe my installation could worth offering more clues.
I've had mine mine installed for a month or so now. Drive the car 3 or 4 days to work each week, 70miles r/t. Very satisfied with the way it's running. Just need to get the closed loop idle working. No issues like ZX is seeing but still running stock injectors...
sv650_ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #270
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,583
Total Cats: 8
Default

Somewhere along the way one of the trigger inputs was swapped from crank (360) to cam (720). I don't know where it happened, but I almost bet thats the reason these cars have been misbehaving...
TravisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #271
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Here's another dumb question:

Would it be too hard to let the car's ECU control the alternator with the Adaptronic? This way at least we would know it's not related to that.
I have wondered about that too. It should just take a change to the adapter harness. I have not sat down though and figured out exactly what to change.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #272
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR View Post
Somewhere along the way one of the trigger inputs was swapped from crank (360) to cam (720). I don't know where it happened, but I almost bet thats the reason these cars have been misbehaving...
No ****?! Wow... Well, that is an easy fix. Tell me what to change and I'll go try it right now!

Post up tonight if you see anything else wrong, I'll change it tonight, and drive my car tomorrow.

EDIT: Sure enough, I just downloaded the NBB-VVT map from the Adaptronic site and it shows Trigger 1 set at 360. Though I do not have a VVT, I guess the same thing applies?

There is an MX-5_BP map on there too but it is completely different so I am not sure that is the right one to look at.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #273
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,583
Total Cats: 8
Default

Thats all I see. I should of caught that on the first time around... I don't know if that for sure is the problem, but that definitely wasn't going to help because that is the trigger that controls ignition and fuel timing... The other bank indicates phase. (combustion or exhaust stroke)
TravisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #274
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

OK FWIW I changed the setting to 360 and the car is idling in the driveway as I type. I have everything turned on (lights, a/c, stereo and am going to let it keep idling to see what happens. I am running a log.

EDIT: No dice, that did not fix it, car ran the same.

Last edited by ZX-Tex; 05-08-2009 at 12:30 AM.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #275
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,583
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
No ****?! Wow... Well, that is an easy fix. Tell me what to change and I'll go try it right now!

Post up tonight if you see anything else wrong, I'll change it tonight, and drive my car tomorrow.

EDIT: Sure enough, I just downloaded the NBB-VVT map from the Adaptronic site and it shows Trigger 1 set at 360. Though I do not have a VVT, I guess the same thing applies?

There is an MX-5_BP map on there too but it is completely different so I am not sure that is the right one to look at.
Yea I recieved the official adaptronic base maps from Rob and they indicate the NBB and NBA triggering are the same.
TravisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #276
Junior Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 455
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR View Post
Somewhere along the way one of the trigger inputs was swapped from crank (360) to cam (720). I don't know where it happened, but I almost bet thats the reason these cars have been misbehaving...
Can you post a screen shot of the settings?
sv650_ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #277
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,583
Total Cats: 8
Default

In Tex's file the first trigger was set to 720.
Attached Thumbnails
Sudden rough running [resolved]-settings.jpg  
TravisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #278
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,583
Total Cats: 8
Default

The file set that I sent out actually had that in it. That seems to be my mistake...

I'm almost hoping this isn't it. 300 posts and 2000 views, and it was one drop down button...
TravisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 AM   #279
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

dont count on the trigger settings just yet.

on an evenly spaced tooth wheel, the adaptronic is set to "no missing tooth" and ignores the cam or crank setting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the manual
The most highly accurate sensor (that is, the one with the most pulses per
revolution) should be used to measure the ignition timing and to fire the
injector. (Tick Inj and Ign) e.g. a multi tooth wheel (If it is has no missing
teeth, then "No missing tooth" should be selected, and whether Cam or Crank
is selected makes no difference.)
beyond that, I dont know how adaptronic knows what's going on with the cam sensor single + double teeth setup.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #280
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,583
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
dont count on the trigger settings just yet.

on an evenly spaced tooth wheel, the adaptronic is set to "no missing tooth" and ignores the cam or crank setting.


beyond that, I dont know how adaptronic knows what's going on with the cam sensor single + double teeth setup.
Jeeze King Y8's you just have to be the bringer of bad news.
TravisR is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
Momo Supercup seat jpreston Miata parts for sale/trade 2 05-17-2016 01:51 AM
Changing from 460cc to flow force 610cc in diypnp 90 Turbo MEGAsquirt 19 10-19-2015 04:23 PM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
Got bad Crank Angle Sensor and Random Misfire codes, but runs fine. Greasyman General Miata Chat 2 09-28-2015 11:44 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 PM.