Lets Discuss Seats and Harnesses. - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #81
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneSplicer View Post
His seat reply wasn't intended for a car that's a track beast. I've got an OMP HTE for the track car - but I'm getting old and cranky - the last thing I want is to have to roll out of my dam daily because it's a fixed back "racing" seat.
The Speed 5 (different from the S) does have a sub hole for your nut strap - hence the 5 as it's 5pt ready.
I just want something that doesn't look like it came out of a space ship, doesn't give me kidney failure or hemorrhoids, and can generally keep me in the seat if/when I do take it on the track.
I'm aware, no track beast.

He did say track/street, though. That means double duty. So it needs to be at least track safe. I'm looking for something like this, or the Probax Elise seat... specifically for that reason. Double duty, not a beast. But it needs to be better than stock, at least (other than the sub strap, which is of course good) and I didn't see any certs to tell me it's better than a 79$ pep boys 'racing style seat' for HPDE/OT/etc.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #82
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,764
Total Cats: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
I'm aware, no track beast.

He did say track/street, though. That means double duty. So it needs to be at least track safe. I'm looking for something like this, or the Probax Elise seat... specifically for that reason. Double duty, not a beast. But it needs to be better than stock, at least (other than the sub strap, which is of course good) and I didn't see any certs to tell me it's better than a 79$ pep boys 'racing style seat' for HPDE/OT/etc.
with any seat that you're looking to compromise with street/track use there will be compromises in safety. will it be safer than stock? absolutely.

For a car on track, the best protection you want is a Halo FIA seat, 6 point FIA harness, hans, fire suit, and a helmet. That simply isn't practical in a street car. You would most definitely scare the hell out of your date, if you were to put a crash helmet on. this would lead to low reproductive statistics for your family, and eventually your parents would start wonder about your sexyal orentation. they would think that because you never bring a girl to the family christmas. This shortcoming isn't coming from your inability to find a mate. it has everything to do with your potential mate's psychological inability get into your car. As a practice of sociology I do notice us married men roll around with fixed back seats more often. :P

the two options listed the Sprint and the Style are two different options. they are comparable on price. Whats best for your application it's what aspect of driving you're more interested in.

The OMP style is a non fia rated seat, but it does have provisions for a proper 5/6point harness. this will be much safer than a stock seat and hold you in better. It will be easier to pop in and out of. You'll have a better experience on a streetcar.

the Sparco sprint is a FIA rated seat. it will be a bit harder to get into and out of. but it's more track oriented. if you're looking to do more racing than street driving then it's a good (and safer) option.
OGRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #83
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Would you really want to run a Halo seat on a miata. The people I know who tried it are in the camp of, "I'd rather have my neck broke than to be trapped in a burning car by the seat because I cant fit out the window in a roll over with a full containment seat." From what I gathered from the people who've done it and liked it that it requires very special cage work to make it work properly and if they were going to do it again they'd just run a normal seat and a right side net.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 549
Total Cats: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Would you really want to run a Halo seat on a miata. The people I know who tried it are in the camp of, "I'd rather have my neck broke than to be trapped in a burning car by the seat because I cant fit out the window in a roll over with a full containment seat." From what I gathered from the people who've done it and liked it that it requires very special cage work to make it work properly and if they were going to do it again they'd just run a normal seat and a right side net.
I agree with your statement but not the context under which you present it. lol deal with it

haha, just having some fun. In my opinion you really shouldn't be running a halo seat in these cars unless you're going to remove the front 1/4" window or vent window or wtf we're going to call it. Without removing that window, you are 100% correct... it's nearly impossible to get out of the tiny 12"x16" opening you are left with.

That being said... if your'e racing the car... nascar door bar it, gut the doors, remove the window and run a halo seat. Otherwise keep it, run a reasonable seat with shoulder wings and a side net.
EErockMiata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #85
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,764
Total Cats: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Would you really want to run a Halo seat on a miata. The people I know who tried it are in the camp of, "I'd rather have my neck broke than to be trapped in a burning car by the seat because I cant fit out the window in a roll over with a full containment seat." From what I gathered from the people who've done it and liked it that it requires very special cage work to make it work properly and if they were going to do it again they'd just run a normal seat and a right side net.
The hardest part of getting out of a miata is fitting your helmet around the window bar and that A pillar window. once your head is out you can slide out of them. According to nasa rules you need a full containment seat or a net. I run a Sparco Pro ADV and see allot of OMP HTE in the spec miata class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EErockMiata View Post
I agree with your statement but not the context under which you present it. lol deal with it

haha, just having some fun. In my opinion you really shouldn't be running a halo seat in these cars unless you're going to remove the front 1/4" window or vent window or wtf we're going to call it. Without removing that window, you are 100% correct... it's nearly impossible to get out of the tiny 12"x16" opening you are left with.

That being said... if your'e racing the car... nascar door bar it, gut the doors, remove the window and run a halo seat. Otherwise keep it, run a reasonable seat with shoulder wings and a side net.
bingo..
OGRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #86
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Rowland Heights, CA
Posts: 36
Total Cats: -4
Default

Any word on how the omp first-r fits?
fredricktsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #87
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 617
Total Cats: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
I'm aware, no track beast.

He did say track/street, though. That means double duty. So it needs to be at least track safe. I'm looking for something like this, or the Probax Elise seat... specifically for that reason. Double duty, not a beast.
I daily the Sprint V and I am a fan. More comfortable than stock after the first week of break-in, although I am a small person. I've got it on sliders so its not tough for egress when moved back but again my height and width aren't issues. 5 hour drives don't bother me and are actually better than the stock seat.

Sometimes when I'm in a rush the setup seems impractical but I quickly forget as soon as I hit a corner, on-ramp, auto-x, etc. Much worth if you fit into the seat.
petrolmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #88
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolmed View Post
I daily the Sprint V and I am a fan. More comfortable than stock after the first week of break-in, although I am a small person. I've got it on sliders so its not tough for egress when moved back but again my height and width aren't issues. 5 hour drives don't bother me and are actually better than the stock seat.

Sometimes when I'm in a rush the setup seems impractical but I quickly forget as soon as I hit a corner, on-ramp, auto-x, etc. Much worth if you fit into the seat.
I appreciate the reply, but I really am looking more like the Probax or 'Style' thing. Need to be able to turn 90 degrees to get in and out of the car. My Ultrashield TDR Rally Sport is actually very comfortable, but not usable for a daily due to the not being able to turn in it thing.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #89
SadFab CEO
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,905
Total Cats: 613
Default

I'm looking at getting an ultra shield cam lock from solo performance. Any opinions?
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #90
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 617
Total Cats: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
I appreciate the reply, but I really am looking more like the Probax or 'Style' thing. Need to be able to turn 90 degrees to get in and out of the car. My Ultrashield TDR Rally Sport is actually very comfortable, but not usable for a daily due to the not being able to turn in it thing.
Yeah, when I buy a passenger seat I plan on it being that style for that reason. It is a perk that I sometimes miss. No need to subject other, unsuspecting people to that life lol.
petrolmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #91
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,970
Total Cats: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler View Post
I can't make it to Road Atlanta this weekend as I have other things going on, but I'll be there for the NASA HPDE (working, not driving) in August, and will try to hop in a lot of seats then. I appreciate the offer though.
I will be at RA in August. Green miata/yellow hard top. Come by if you want to sit in my seats, Racetech RT-1000.
Seefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:31 AM   #92
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_sean View Post
I'm looking at getting an ultra shield cam lock from solo performance. Any opinions?
Get the pull up lap belts. I sure wish I had those instead of the pull downs...
deadohiosky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #93
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,011
Total Cats: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_sean View Post
I'm looking at getting an ultra shield cam lock from solo performance. Any opinions?
A set of these just popped up in the classifieds.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #94
SadFab CEO
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,905
Total Cats: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky1984 View Post
Get the pull up lap belts. I sure wish I had those instead of the pull downs...
funny that was my next question



Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
A set of these just popped up in the classifieds.
probably going to have to order them because i need the quick adjust sub belt option (2 driver car). but ill look, thanks guys.

edit: sean could not find aforementioned classified ad.
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #95
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,764
Total Cats: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky1984 View Post
Get the pull up lap belts. I sure wish I had those instead of the pull downs...
Warning on pull up harness. They might be hard to fit into a miata. just looking out.

We have a large selection of harnesses if you're in the market. Harnesses and Restraints | Car
OGRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #96
SadFab CEO
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,905
Total Cats: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRacing View Post
Warning on pull up harness. They might be hard to fit into a miata. just looking out.

We have a large selection of harnesses if you're in the market. Harnesses and Restraints | Car
i have a deist pull down currently and its agravating with a 16" ultrashield spec miata, i cant get it tight.

ogracing do you have anythjing with an adjustable anti submarine belt for a 2 driver car with the seat mounted on sliders. tthe only people that seem to even offer them are simpson, crow and ultrashield

Last edited by hi_im_sean; 07-21-2014 at 11:46 AM.
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #97
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,011
Total Cats: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRacing View Post
Warning on pull up harness. They might be hard to fit into a miata. just looking out.
I put pull ups in my Red car. Adjuster Buckle ends up pretty close to the belt hole in the seat. No problem for me, but I went out with a friend who is significantly bigger and he was really uncomfortable as the adjuster buckle was pressing hard against his hip/thigh.

So, no fatties in Miatas?
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 549
Total Cats: 56
Default

On my car:

Driver Side Setup 2 lap belt, 3 shoulder belt Schroth Profi configured in pull up lap belts

Passenger Side Setup 3 Lap Belt, 3 shoulder belt Schroth Profi Configured in pull down

The difference in comfort and ease of adjustment between the two harness setups is immense. If you can afford it or find it, 2 lap belts configured in pull up is for sure the way to go.
EErockMiata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #99
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 218
Total Cats: 15
Default

I've had OMP WRC and Sparco Evo2 in a Miata that was primarily street driven and it got old real quick. My future plans are to add a QR steering wheel hub and then simply swap my street seats out and replace them with race seats and harnesses before each track event, which for me is only 2 or 3 times a year. I'm doing HPDE and not real racing so this works fine for me. I found Racetech 4000 to be comfy but will probably just go with an Ultrashield and a seat back brace. Again, HPDE and not real racing.

As I'm a bigger driver, it is imperative to get the seat as low and as far back as possible so I have as much leg and helmet room as possible. Even with a bottom mount seat mounted really far back, it may be necessary to section the transmission tunnel to widen the occupant tunnel so that the seat is centered relative to the controls la Moti @ Blackbird Fabworks.



Any side mount seat is a pain to install given the limited room between seat and transmission tunnel to fasten mounting hardware but since most seats are side mount it is important to think about how to get a side mounted seat centered in the tunnel.
Attached Thumbnails
Lets Discuss Seats and Harnesses.-6460372813_bce6c1d947_o.jpg  
freedomgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #100
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,764
Total Cats: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_sean View Post
i have a deist pull down currently and its agravating with a 16" ultrashield spec miata, i cant get it tight.

ogracing do you have anythjing with an adjustable anti submarine belt for a 2 driver car with the seat mounted on sliders. tthe only people that seem to even offer them are simpson, crow and ultrashield
We sell simpson. Simpson is nice, because they will build you a harness to your spec. send me an email or a PM with what you are looking for and i'll generate a quote. [email protected]
OGRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Momo Supercup seat jpreston Miata parts for sale/trade 2 05-17-2016 01:51 AM
SimExperience fiberglass race seat in Chicago area chris101 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-09-2015 10:08 AM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
NA Seat Sliders and Seat Belt Receivers skipstr Miata parts for sale/trade 2 09-28-2015 11:53 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 PM.