2jz Miata build thread - Page 49 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #961
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I think you could but why would you. When you get your turbo back let me know we can take it to mikes and get him to coat it. It will not be expensive and you wont have to worry about the VHT paint coming off. I have had decent experience with the VHT paint when properly prepped and by that I mean if you sand blast it and then bake it out it will stick pretty good.
OK cool then maybe I can PC my manifold too.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #962
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 11
Total Cats: 0
Default

I'm sorry, but wouldn't your turbo Lose some of it's cooling efficiency by having the compressor housing painted?
I'm just curious b/c I've heard something similar about painting an intercooler (with the same fine paint that they use to paint radiators). I've heard that when not making serious power, it's not that bad. Though when making some big numbers, it can be a damper on things.
All else aside, it does look nice.
t6690gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #963
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6690gst View Post
I'm sorry, but wouldn't your turbo Lose some of it's cooling efficiency by having the compressor housing painted?
I'm just curious b/c I've heard something similar about painting an intercooler (with the same fine paint that they use to paint radiators). I've heard that when not making serious power, it's not that bad. Though when making some big numbers, it can be a damper on things.
All else aside, it does look nice.


I saw ZERO difference in IATs after painting the front of my intercooler black...
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #964
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6690gst View Post
I'm sorry, but wouldn't your turbo Lose some of it's cooling efficiency by having the compressor housing painted?
I'm just curious b/c I've heard something similar about painting an intercooler (with the same fine paint that they use to paint radiators). I've heard that when not making serious power, it's not that bad. Though when making some big numbers, it can be a damper on things.
All else aside, it does look nice.
Compressor housing gets hot as hell even if you're not boosting. Why?

Because

it's hot as **** in the engine bay right next to your exhaust manifold.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #965
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Paint wouldnt last a week.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #966
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

If you want to keep things cool under the hood you need a true thermal barrier coating, swain tech white lightning is about the best out there. My infrared temp gun shows 340 F on the exhaust housing, after a pull on the dyno.
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #967
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingstonwm View Post
If you want to keep things cool under the hood you need a true thermal barrier coating, swain tech white lightning is about the best out there. My infrared temp gun shows 340 F on the exhaust housing, after a pull on the dyno.
Or you can just be a man and coat it in spray foam.

Attached Thumbnails
2jz Miata build thread-qevyc.jpg  
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #968
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 11
Total Cats: 0
Default

Anyone that knows anything at all about engines, would know that it gets hot in the engine bay.
I was speaking in reference to the turbo itself.
I for one, already knew that it gets hot in the engine bay.
I have owned and personally modified most of my previous cars.
Just to give a small list: (Began when I was 16 yrs of age.)
*1st car- 1970 VW Beetle
Mods done= Porsche 914 swap.
*2nd car- 1982 RX7
Mods= Headers, Holley 650 Dbl. pump carb., cat-back exhaust.
*3rd car- 1991 Civic Hatch
Mods= None, Only put on 17's.
*4th car- 1995 Eclipse Gst
Mods= Intake, gutted out the Cat, Turned up the boost to 15 psi, Eibach Sportline Springs.
*5th car- 1990 Eclipse Gst
Mods= 20G upgraded turbo, 3" cat-back exhaust system, MAF upgrade to the 2nd gen eclipse unit, MBC.
"And my most recent and last car that I owned."
**1991 Eagle Talon TSi**
Mods= 20G turbo upgrade, Deltagate Mack 2 External Wastegate (Bled into the atmosphere), Full 3" Mandrel bend exhaust piping w/TurboTuff muffler, F.Mount Inter. - 29L*10H*4D, 2.5" intake piping w/Greddy typeS BOV, Walbro 255 intank pump, Busher Racing FPR, 850 cc injectors, S-AFC controller.
Outcome= Dyno'd 350WHP/ 314#FT of torque @ 27 PSI.
Everything mechanical, Done by myself.
Anything Electrical, Done by a buddy of mine's shop.
Now.! I'm not saying that all of the above makes me an expert. But it does make me knowledgeable enough to know that it gets, "HOT", in the engine bay.
t6690gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:09 AM   #969
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6690gst View Post
I'm sorry, but wouldn't your turbo Lose some of it's cooling efficiency by having the compressor housing painted?
I'm just curious b/c I've heard something similar about painting an intercooler (with the same fine paint that they use to paint radiators). I've heard that when not making serious power, it's not that bad. Though when making some big numbers, it can be a damper on things.
All else aside, it does look nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t6690gst View Post
Anyone that knows anything at all about engines, would know that it gets hot in the engine bay.
I was speaking in reference to the turbo itself.
I for one, already knew that it gets hot in the engine bay.
I have owned and personally modified most of my previous cars.
Just to give a small list: (Began when I was 16 yrs of age.)
*1st car- 1970 VW Beetle
Mods done= Porsche 914 swap.
*2nd car- 1982 RX7
Mods= Headers, Holley 650 Dbl. pump carb., cat-back exhaust.
*3rd car- 1991 Civic Hatch
Mods= None, Only put on 17's.
*4th car- 1995 Eclipse Gst
Mods= Intake, gutted out the Cat, Turned up the boost to 15 psi, Eibach Sportline Springs.
*5th car- 1990 Eclipse Gst
Mods= 20G upgraded turbo, 3" cat-back exhaust system, MAF upgrade to the 2nd gen eclipse unit, MBC.
"And my most recent and last car that I owned."
**1991 Eagle Talon TSi**
Mods= 20G turbo upgrade, Deltagate Mack 2 External Wastegate (Bled into the atmosphere), Full 3" Mandrel bend exhaust piping w/TurboTuff muffler, F.Mount Inter. - 29L*10H*4D, 2.5" intake piping w/Greddy typeS BOV, Walbro 255 intank pump, Busher Racing FPR, 850 cc injectors, S-AFC controller.
Outcome= Dyno'd 350WHP/ 314#FT of torque @ 27 PSI.
Everything mechanical, Done by myself.
Anything Electrical, Done by a buddy of mine's shop.
Now.! I'm not saying that all of the above makes me an expert. But it does make me knowledgeable enough to know that it gets, "HOT", in the engine bay.


Well good ******* job. Your DSM experience has served you well. I dub thee DSM expert. That gives you status, ******* Moron Status, you winner you.

Since the damn turbo compressor housing itself IS IN THE ENGINE BAY don't you think it would get hot too? REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE **** IT'S COATED IN?
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #970
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (23)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,072
Total Cats: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6690gst View Post
I had a lot of shitty cars so listen to me.
Engines get hot. Turbo makes heat. That is why we have INTERCOOLERS. Who the **** cares about a possible 2 degree difference at the damn compressor housing?
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #971
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: frederick md
Posts: 42
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
Well good ******* job. Your DSM experience has served you well. I dub thee DSM expert. That gives you status, ******* Moron Status, you winner you.

Since the damn turbo compressor housing itself IS IN THE ENGINE BAY don't you think it would get hot too? REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE **** IT'S COATED IN?
Owned.
bad6as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #972
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 11
Total Cats: 0
Default

WOW! Looks like some ****** geniuses know how to read, yet don't understand the point made across.
What I wrote was not about what "Kind" of cars I've owned. It was about the fact that I know how to work on them. MORRON! Why don't you take yet 1 more course in English class. Maybe then, you won't be insulting others before you can understand what it is that they are trying to say.
Also at the end of my last post. The First thing I said was that I am not an expert, simply that I know how to work on cars in general.
I guess I'll just say thank you for "dubbing me, the dsm expert solely on the fact that I've own three of them. Thank you very ******* much!
You know it's amazing how one simple question in need of a simple honest answer. Had to turn and become responded by an insulting remark. It just goes to show how ridiculously immature some people can be.
t6690gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #973
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6690gst View Post
-blablabla- WOW! MORRON! Why don't you take yet 1 more course in English class -more blabla
I like this part.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #974
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 11
Total Cats: 0
Default

In my perspective, this didn't have to be a place to be insulting anyone. This could be a place where anyone can ask someone something and not necessarily need be insulted.
Did you ever think about that?
Hence! I asked Sean a question, and ended up getting answered by you with insults and childish remarks.
how exciting is this.
I'm sorry :_( don't mind me, I'm just LMAO!
t6690gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #975
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry WV
Posts: 1,521
Total Cats: 20
Default

Ok to answer the original question. When you coat a turbo compressor with anything for the most part it will then keep more heat in. Paint, powdercoat, and pretty much any other coating will reflect heat in and out. Yes now that my compressor is powdercoated it will be hotter. How much hotter is unknown. It varies by thickness of material how close it is to the engine how good my heat barriers are all that stuff comes into play. On a side not it has been argued that black is known to hold heat if you coat something with black not only will it attract heat from the outside but also from the inside. So then it becomes a game of witch thing will radiate heat better. The compressor housing or the engine bay. In my case I do not care. If my intake temps get to high I will put meth on it and call it a day. Also one day in the future I will need meth anyway so even if the turbo were to run say 20 deg hotter it would not bother me. I even thought about running a siphon feed meth nozzle in the inlet of my turbo like they used to use on carborated cars. If I feel the temps wont come down with meth this will be my first "cheap" option only to hold the car off for a alky control kit. I will let you all know how it works.

To add to this as well I would like to note that the turbine housing has been ceramic coated as well witch is really good at keeping heat in. This is known to drop under the hood temps by 100 deg in an NA car. My hope is that the ceramic coating witch I plan to do my exhaust in to will help keep the heat out of the turbo and in the exhaust further lower temps under my hood. Also take into consideration I will have very little hood on my car and LLOOTTSSS!!!! of airflow because of this so I will not have the same problems others have with heat.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #976
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 11
Total Cats: 0
Default

Thank you Sean. That's all I needed to know.
t6690gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #977
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

I declare that the heat difference is inmeasureable.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #978
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry WV
Posts: 1,521
Total Cats: 20
Default

Im am still with braineack if there is a difference it is very little and with that it will not effect me in any way. Now mounting the turbo backwards on the other hand may change some heat characteristics of everything under the hood but I will deal with that later.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #979
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6690gst View Post
Thank you Sean. That's all I needed to know.
Glad you're happy.

Now kill yourself while you're still ahead.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #980
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry WV
Posts: 1,521
Total Cats: 20
Default

Thank you Faeflora for the back up attack system.lol I like it!!!
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
elesjuan's mediocre 95 Miata adventure (google fiber edition) elesjuan Build Threads 8 02-16-2016 09:36 PM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM
Drummersrs old Miata, new to me foshizzle Meet and Greet 9 09-08-2015 01:26 PM
Noob here, turbo NC project starts now. turboLuigi Meet and Greet 2 09-04-2015 02:29 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 AM.