Want or do not want? Subaru BRZ STI - Page 26 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #501
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

Also, probably bs and wont get put into them, but:
Subaru developing engine for BRZ Turbo
Subaru debuts a turbo version of the FA20 engine | Kaizen Factor



If they did, I'd probably go buy one cash moneyz
Would seriously be my "perfect car"
Attached Thumbnails
Want or do not want? Subaru BRZ STI-subaru-fa20-turbocharged-2.0-liter-boxer-four.jpg  
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #502
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Just because you can drive a slow car fast, does not make them fast. It means the driver was able to overcome the governing body that forces them to be slow turds using old methods of slowness.
I don't think I understand your point. We might be talking past each other (or you are trying to argue for the sake of arguing)?

This street car was quicker than a slow "race car" and not that far off of some very serious and/or very spendy hardware. As in, orders of magnitude more expensive.

Basically, this seems like a modern Miata coupe: it hits way above its weight class in near-stock trim and seems to have a load of potential with heavy mods.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #503
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

i just like to hate. my comments are to be ignored.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #504
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Scrappy that car that went under the spec miata record was stock right? Not the 460hp turbo one others are talking about? I assume it was, as I doubt those turbo kits are ready for the track yet.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #505
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

The turbo one only visited the drag strip so far.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #506
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
Scrappy that car that went under the spec miata record was stock right? Not the 460hp turbo one others are talking about? I assume it was, as I doubt those turbo kits are ready for the track yet.
Correct; non-turbo.

My understanding - and consider all of this third party hearsay as I did not have a chance to interview the owner in depth - is that the car is stock or near stock in terms of power. I was told by a friend of the owner that it has an "E85 tune" but I'm not sure how much difference that makes on those cars.

I believe he has off-the-shelf BC coilovers, wheels, tires and the tune. This is the Arsenal Autosport car that also ran the time attack event at PBIR (Palm Beach Intl Raceway, formerly Moroso).
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #507
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

Tune would yield about 20hp or so iirc
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #508
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Cool. A stock car with wheels/tires beating the spec miata record on a short lap is pretty impressive, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a turbo car making close to 500hp before I start bragging about it to people who hate on the Toyoberu.

And yeah, if or when miatas become too rare to be this cheap (hopefully never) the FRS/BRZ would be my first choice for my new toy. Until or unless Mazda can't produce on a ~2200lbs ND.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #509
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
Basically, this seems like a modern Miata coupe: it hits way above its weight class in near-stock trim and seems to have a load of potential with heavy mods.
Yet you'll never overcome the fact that it looks like complete and total dog **** and the roof doesn't come off....

Still, do not want.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #510
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

so you want a c70?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #511
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

Welp they better step it up and deliver on their rumors of a sub 2500 di boosted ND or whatever because they will get muscled out by all these new cars. Hyundai has tonsa power but is a pig. Toyobaru isn't a pig but also doesn't have tonsa power. If the ND could have ok power (at least a bit over 200) AND be under 2600lbs I'd consider them "back in the game"
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Yet you'll never overcome the fact that it looks like complete and total dog **** and the roof doesn't come off....

Still, do not want.
Often times I think I'm the most negative, pessimistic ******* I know.

Then I look at you and suddenly I'm a "glass half full" person

Seriously man........Give other cars a chance.
lol
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #512
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,578
Total Cats: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Welp they better step it up and deliver on their rumors of a sub 2500 di boosted ND or whatever because they will get muscled out by all these new cars. If the ND could have ok power (at least a bit over 200) AND be under 2600lbs I'd consider them "back in the game"
With those stats they would be a class leader in performance, not just "back in the game".

Those stats are also highly unlikely because Mazda is not a huge automaker and does not have loads of cash or the ability to amortize their costs over ginormous production runs. Realistically I think they can pull off a sub 2300lb miata with roughly 170hp and maybe 180hp if they push it. Do not expect >200hp because that is just not going to happen as it would be cost prohibitive.

They will always sell the miata well because there just is no other 2 seat convertible roadster in that price range and it has already been stated that the BRZ/FR-S will not come to america in a convertible form because it would cost too much and no one would buy it, or so they say.

I just hope Mazda doesn't try to put a 1.3 turbo engine in the miata like some rumors state. I would rather them put in the 2.0l skyactive engine they already have developed and tune it a little more for performance and less for mpg's. I feel like that would be the most cost effective solution for them.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #513
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Looks like the BRZ/FRS motor is made out of 100% Japanese WTF metal.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #514
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Do not want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
But the thing is, it looks like a pile of dog ---- and the performance numbers on it are far from impressive. I'd rather spend less on a car which could be improved and still come out ahead..
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Yet you'll never overcome the fact that it looks like complete and total dog **** and the roof doesn't come off....

Still, do not want.
We appreciate you keeping us updated on your continued lack of interest in ever buying this car.

My recommendation to you is to not buy it.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #515
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
We appreciate you keeping us updated on your continued lack of interest in ever buying this car.

My recommendation to you is to not buy it.
Naw i think he should buy it and keep us updated on how much he hates his car.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #516
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
Those stats are also highly unlikely because Mazda is not a huge automaker and does not have loads of cash or the ability to amortize their costs over ginormous production runs. Realistically I think they can pull off a sub 2300lb miata with roughly 170hp and maybe 180hp if they push it. Do not expect >200hp because that is just not going to happen as it would be cost prohibitive.

Which is why they are partnered with Alpha on the chassis.

I am not sure how the 2.0L skyactiv handles boost. But a 1.4 turbo wouldn't be terrible; as long as it could still spool up an EFR6258 I would be happy.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #517
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
so you want a c70?
No. S60 or S80, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Often times I think I'm the most negative, pessimistic ******* I know.

Then I look at you and suddenly I'm a "glass half full" person

Seriously man........Give other cars a chance.
lol
Aww thanks.

Sorry, I just don't understand the ******* swingers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
We appreciate you keeping us updated on your continued lack of interest in ever buying this car.

My recommendation to you is to not buy it.

Still do not want.


Just think, at average cost of an NA miata you could buy almost 12 of them for the same price! Or a properly setup LSx miata...
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #518
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,895
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post

I just hope Mazda doesn't try to put a 1.3 turbo engine in the miata like some rumors state. I would rather them put in the 2.0l skyactive engine they already have developed and tune it a little more for performance and less for mpg's. I feel like that would be the most cost effective solution for them.
I could not agree more. The bottom line is the bigger the motor the more potential.

The best scenerio we could ask for would be for a larger discplacement motor that has plenty of options to go even bigger (like the current NC motor). Also have a cylinder head that has the right valve angle and runner geometry, but also has plenty more volume potential. I would prefer it to start out with a small camshaft too.

There is something fun about the ability to uncork a motor and get large gains from a build up. A motor that is already hopped up near the ceiling of its potential is no fun. Never mind the much higher expense to see the same gains.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #519
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
No. S60 or S80, maybe.


.
No. S366 or bust
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #520
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
No. S366 or bust
lol.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help multi issues here! ReallyRottenTurbo MEGAsquirt 4 09-22-2015 01:49 PM
Built 1.6l Engine, 1,820 miles Baxgordum Miata parts for sale/trade 19 09-05-2015 12:42 AM
2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback - Pearl White - 83k miles - $16999 Braineack Cars for sale/trade 3 09-04-2015 03:12 PM
i beat an sti urgaynknowit Prefabbed Turbo Kits 164 03-04-2009 02:49 PM
STI 2, Stockholm Police 0 fahrvergnugen Insert BS here 12 10-20-2008 08:21 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44 PM.