COP Thread - Page 80 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #1581
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 321
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
I've decided to tackle this mess and get few things that confuse me straightened out. Brain were u trolling with the 5 volt?

My one question is theres 2 harnesses on the stock 99-00 coils. Also what do u do for the 2 harnesses? Do you have to cut them out from the stock coils or is there an alternative?


The wiring harness in the discussion cops thread shows 1 harness, sup with that?


The next thing is some people say use a capacitor between the gnd and the 12volt, others say not to. Do i need it for my 99 car? How about the resistor? I have no tach wire so i take it i dont need it either?
Each coilpack has three wires. A ground (Black), 12 Volt (Black/White), and a trigger where each coilpack controls two cylinders and that is either brown or brown/yellow. I just cut the connectors and tied the same wires together. Hope that helps explain it a lil bit
cowboys647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #1582
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
My one question is theres 2 harnesses on the stock 99-00 coils. Also what do u do for the 2 harnesses? Do you have to cut them out from the stock coils or is there an alternative?
The wiring harness in the discussion cops thread shows 1 harness, sup with that?
Once you unplug the coils, you will have 6 wires: 2 power, 2 ground, 2 triggers. The power and grounds actually go to the same sources so they are redundant. The diagram assumes you have joined the two power into one and the two ground into one, or simply ignored the second set of power and grounds in the second coil connector. Either way, you end up with 1 power, 1 ground, 2 triggers.

I got a dead 99/00 coilpack and cut off the connectors to make a plug-and-play setup, but I discovered it was VERY difficult to remove the insulation filling in the connector and solder to the wire stubs. I purchased an extra PAIR (just in case) of coil/sensor/injector harnesses for a 99/00 here in the classifieds or from PartsGroup and built a hardwired harness. MUCH cleaner, though it is significantly harder to remove. I tried to use a 6 wire weatherpack but my crimps have proven unreliable.

I also added an additional ground that goes to a bolt on the back of the head. Because **** you, that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
The next thing is some people say use a capacitor between the gnd and the 12volt, others say not to. Do i need it for my 99 car? How about the resistor? I have no tach wire so i take it i dont need it either?
I installed the cap, no resistor. I understand (in theory) what it does, so I installed it. There is some debate as to if the cap is required or not. IIRC Tach signal is generated by the stock ECU or Megasquirt in the NB1 (& NB2?) so no need to worry about that. If you have tach before the install, you should have tach after the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturbomiata View Post
im looking at building a cop setup for my new car, and im planing sequential spark. im assuming that the only differences in the wiring is the triggers are all independent?
Correct.

Last edited by EO2K; 01-04-2013 at 05:52 PM.
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #1583
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,133
Total Cats: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
IIRC Tach signal is generated by the stock ECU or Megasquirt in the NB1 (& NB2?) so no need to worry about that. If you have tach before the install, you should have tach after the install.
On the NBas i unplugged the cam sensor and the tach went to 0. Somehow i'm not subscribed to this thread so i didnt see the replys.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #1584
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass.
Posts: 816
Total Cats: 41
Default

For those running COPs on their 1.6, did you add a second ground to the head?

I noticed there are 2 'lazzer' diagrams floating around the internet and one utilizes the OEM harness ground wire and the other adds an additional ground at the head.

I was going to opt of of the second ground since it seems like over kill and it's one more piece of cooper spagetti cluttering up my bay.

-Zach
thasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #1585
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: France
Posts: 74
Total Cats: 1
Default

I've also grounded mine to the head and they are working perfectly for 1 year now.
joeldc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #1586
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 2
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
2 weeks? My COPs took 6 months plus a couple track days worth of stock ECU abuse before I finally damaged one. Maybe the ones I'm using are a bit more robust?

IDK how IL treats inspections, but would COPs even pass a visual? If you are already swapping injectors and crap, you might as well just suck it up and install the stock coil. Its not that much more work once you are already in there. I actually have 2 injector/ignition harness for exactly this reason.
My room mate tried it and he burned 2 out after a few days of going to work and back.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #1587
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 107
Total Cats: 3
Default

Hi there

This thread made the COP install super easy.

just got it installed yesterday and put on my escort valve cover i grabbed at the jyard for cheaps. (lol they also had a racingbeat style bar I got for 5 bucks!)

I have yet to paint the VC but heres how she looks! running like a baws.

Attached Thumbnails
COP Thread-wp_20130726_001.jpg  
duhafnusa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #1588
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Okay so I got my cops made but my tach isn't working. I believe this is because I didn't use a capacitor and resistor. Where am I suppose to tap it into? Somewhere in the harness? I'm not too sure if this is causing my leaning issue. Right now it's grounded to the head, and so is my wideband. Would that cause any interference? Will I need to add an extra ground?

Last edited by AdoboMiata; 08-04-2013 at 08:47 PM.
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #1589
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoboMiata View Post
Okay so I got my cops made but my tach isn't working. I believe this is because I didn't use a capacitor and resistor. Where am I suppose to tap it into? Somewhere in the harness? I'm not too sure if this is causing my leaning issue. Right now it's grounded to the head, and so is my wideband. Would that cause any interference? Will I need to add an extra ground?
What year is your car? 94-95.5 use the 4th wire on the coils as the tach trigger just wire them all together and connect to the tach trigger wire. I believe the 90-93 cars are the same. The 95.5+ cars all have the tach driven by the ECU based on the CAS/crank sensor.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #1590
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
What year is your car? 94-95.5 use the 4th wire on the coils as the tach trigger just wire them all together and connect to the tach trigger wire. I believe the 90-93 cars are the same. The 95.5+ cars all have the tach driven by the ECU based on the CAS/crank sensor.
Mine is a 92. 1.6. I'm going to have to figure out this leaning issue
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #1591
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,910
Total Cats: 1,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoboMiata View Post
Okay so I got my cops made but my tach isn't working. I believe this is because I didn't use a capacitor and resistor. Where am I suppose to tap it into? Somewhere in the harness? I'm not too sure if this is causing my leaning issue. Right now it's grounded to the head, and so is my wideband. Would that cause any interference? Will I need to add an extra ground?

put a 1K resistor between IG- and B+ in your diagnostics box.


it's not the capacitor, it was the lack of resistor.


The Stock ECU provides a pull-up for the tach. This comes out 2I on teh Black/White wire.

When you build the harness, you need to connect the black/white to yellow/blue, which is the tach wire that goes out from the ignitor.

If you remove the stock ECU, you remove the pull up, so you need a 1K resistor from 12v to the yellow/blue wire. Luckily, this wire goes to the diagnostics box via Ig-.

Otherwise, you can make the appropriate connections in your ECU harness and send a 1K pull to 12v out through 2I.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #1592
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
put a 1K resistor between IG- and B+ in your diagnostics box.


it's not the capacitor, it was the lack of resistor.


The Stock ECU provides a pull-up for the tach. This comes out 2I on teh Black/White wire.

When you build the harness, you need to connect the black/white to yellow/blue, which is the tach wire that goes out from the ignitor.

If you remove the stock ECU, you remove the pull up, so you need a 1K resistor from 12v to the yellow/blue wire. Luckily, this wire goes to the diagnostics box via Ig-.

Otherwise, you can make the appropriate connections in your ECU harness and send a 1K pull to 12v out through 2I.
Thanks brain. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I will come back to this thread after logging a drive. "Finding the lean problem". So far I changed my spark plugs to brke7 Ngk and recalibrated my wideband.
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 AM   #1593
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

So I think I have found my leaning issue. While running the car, I removed the coil from cylinder 1 and noticed no difference in sound. I removed the coil on cylinder 2 and it was running rough. I removed the coil from cylinder 3 and it started running rough. I removed the coil from cylinder 4 and no difference in sound. I'm assuming it's only firing on 2 coils (cylinder 2 & 3). I tried using cylinder 2 coil on 1 and 4. Still no difference. Possibly bad wiring? I'm not running a capacitor or resistor and I have a mspnp.
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #1594
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Aww fail. Trigger wire was soldered to the ground wire... Is there a possibility that I fried anything? I tried switching back to the stock coilpack.. I installed new wires, plugged in the harness, plugged in the ignitor, and changed the dwell settings (crank 8ms running 5ms).. Car is running like the ignitor is blown.. I swapped 3 other ignitors still runs the same.. Any ideas?
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #1595
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

Posted in wrong thread...
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #1596
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTMiata View Post
Posted in wrong thread...

I apologize. I'll start a new thread.
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #1597
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoboMiata View Post
I apologize. I'll start a new thread.
No no no... I posted in the wrong thread. I just edited the comment cause I couldn't delete it lol
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #1598
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTMiata View Post
No no no... I posted in the wrong thread. I just edited the comment cause I couldn't delete it lol
Lol. Too late. I made another one.
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #1599
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,133
Total Cats: 599
Default

Has any of you folks been able to find a voltage vs dwell chart for the Toyota cops?

Similar to this?

Attached Thumbnails
COP Thread-image_1_large.png  
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #1600
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,133
Total Cats: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
Once you unplug the coils, you will have 6 wires: 2 power, 2 ground, 2 triggers. The power and grounds actually go to the same sources so they are redundant. The diagram assumes you have joined the two power into one and the two ground into one, or simply ignored the second set of power and grounds in the second coil connector. Either way, you end up with 1 power, 1 ground, 2 triggers.
Should i waste time joining both 12s and grounds together or should i just ignore the 2nd set? I'm referring specifically here to 2 wires adding up to a thicker wire or is it unnecessary?
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM
01-05 Fab9 PNP COPs (used) FrankB Miata parts for sale/trade 6 09-30-2015 12:48 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 PM.